A Genetic/Physiological Basis for...Racism??

Carcharodon

Avenger
Reaction score
Individuals with Rare Disorder Have No Racial Biases

Never has a human population been found that has no racial stereotypes. Not in other cultures or far-flung countries. Nor among tiny tots or people with various psychological conditions.

Until now.

Children with Williams syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that makes them lack normal social anxiety, have no racial biases. They do, however, traffic in gender stereotypes, said study researcher Andreas Meyer-Lindenberg of the University of Heidelberg in Germany.

Normally, children show clear preferences for their own ethnic group by the age of three, if not sooner, other research has shown.

And, indeed, the children in this study without Williams syndrome reliably assigned good traits, such as friendliness, to pictures of people the same race as themselves. When asked something negative, such as "which is the naughty boy," they overwhelmingly pointed to the other race.

Children with Williams syndrome, however, were equally likely to point to the white or black child as naughty or friendly.

While this study was done with white children, other research has shown that blacks and people of other races also think more highly of their own, Meyer-Lindenberg told LiveScience.

Williams syndrome is caused by a gene deletion known to affect the brain as well as other organs. As a result, people with Williams syndrome are "hypersocial," Meyer-Lindenberg told . They do not experience the jitters and inhibitions the rest of us feel.

"The whole concept [of social anxiety] would be foreign to them," he said.

They will put themselves at great peril to help someone and despite their skills at empathy, are unable to process social danger signals. As a result, they are at increased risk for rape and physical attack.

Nature or nurture?

While the first human population to demonstrate race-neutrality is missing critical genes, "we are not saying that this is all biologically-based and you can't do anything about it," Meyer-Lindenberg said.

"Just because there is a genetic way to knock the system out, does not mean the system itself is 100 percent genetic," he said.

The study does show, however, that racism requires social fear. "If social fear was culturally reduced, racial stereotypes could also be reduced," Meyer-Lindenberg said.

Despite their lack of racial bias, children with Williams syndrome hold gender stereotypes just as strongly as normal children, the study found. That is, 99 percent of the 40 children studied pointed to pictures of girls when asked who played with dolls and chose boys when asked, say, who likes toy cars.

The fact that Williams syndrome kids think of men and women differently, but not blacks and whites, shows that sex stereotypes are not caused by social anxiety, Meyer-Lindenberg said.

This may be because we learn about gender within "safe" home environments, while a different race is usually a sign of someone outside our immediate kin. (Studies to test this explanation, such as with racially-mixed families, have not yet been done.)

Racial biases are likely rooted in a general fear of others, while gender stereotypes may arise from sweeping generalizations, Meyer-Lindenberg said. "You watch mother make the meals, so you generalize this to everyone female."

In their heads

Due to the present study, we now know that "gender and race are processed by different brain mechanisms," Meyer-Lindenberg said, although those involved in gender are less understood.

Previous work has shown that in the brains of people with Williams syndrome, the amygdala - the emotional seat of the brain - fails to respond to social threats. While the amygdala itself is functionally normal, it is misguided by the pre-frontal cortex - the executive of the brain - to block all social anxiety.

This system is now thought to underlie racism, but it seems uninvolved in the formation of sex stereotypes.

Meyer-Lindenberg and colleagues are now using brain imaging to get a clearer picture of how racism and sexism are differentiated in the brain. The present study was published in the journal Current Biology.

I'm not really surprised, to be honest. I've always felt that racism may have had roots and/or played a role in the evolutionary history of our species (if not for other species as well).

...thoughts on the issue? This could very well be a so-called "slippery slope" situation with respect to the justification of racist sentiments and behaviors, which certainly worries me, but it IS pointed out that this doesn't mean that it's all biologically based.

Last edited:
Racism could have originated as a survival mechanism, a natural distrust of those who do not look similar to you, which would mark them as an outsider to your "herd".

I find it interesting that this is dubbed a "disorder".

Racism could have originated as a survival mechanism, a natural distrust of those who do not look similar to you, which would mark them as an outsider to your "herd".

Well, lacking a predisposition to racism seems to be a departure from the norm; hence "disorder". Calling it a disorder doesn't mean it's inherently a bad thing.

How does that work? Like when we develop genetic traits that conflict with social normality do we just repress them or could we really lose that genetic trait over time? Is it possible that racism was an evolutionary trait that we could eventually evolve out of needing?

Then I have a disorder as well: common sense.

This is an extremely intelligent look at this issue. I would have never thought of this. It makes sense.

It also (perhaps secondarily) would serve as a mechanism for preserving phenotypic diversity within the human species.

That's a little ironic, isn't it? That racism could actually PRESERVE diversity?

How does that work? Like when we develop genetic traits that conflict with social normality do we just repress them or could we really lose that genetic trait over time?
...do you mean on an individual basis or as a population?

I can honestly say that I've never ever discriminated against someone because of race hey. I just don't see colour because I'm already mixed myself. It's extremely offensive to me when someone mocks someone else just because of skin colour, whether they're black, white, whatever...

Hate racism passionately and actually can't believe how much some people allow racism to limit their life experiences.

"Never" is a word that can easily come back to bite you in the ass :oldrazz:

It also (perhaps secondarily) would serve as a mechanism for preserving phenotypic diversity within the human species.

That's a little ironic, isn't it? That racism could actually PRESERVE diversity?

...do you mean on an individual basis or as a population?

I meant as a population. For the individual to change they're going to have to use willpower or a genetic recombinator.

Fascinating article. I don't think it means that people should assume they have a genetic free pass to be racist, only that there are people out there who are not racist due to genetics.

Everyone else needs to be mindful of others. Knowledge and understanding (well, and WILLINGNESS to understand) are the only real "cures" for racism.

Fascinating article. I don't think it means that people should assume they have a genetic free pass to be racist, only that there are people out there who are not racist due to genetics.

Everyone else needs to be mindful of others. Knowledge and understanding (well, and WILLINGNESS to understand) are the only real "cures" for racism.

Of course. Humans have defied their genetic make-up through effort before, they can continue to do so. I'm genetically and behaviourally predisposed towards alcoholism, and I'm aware of it and the effects of the addiction, so I don't drink. It just takes a bit of willpower. :alan:

I meant as a population. For the individual to change they're going to have to use willpower or a genetic recombinator.
Ah, okay. Had to ask. It actually does turn out that certain genes/alleles can simply be lost from populations over time via a process called genetic drift. However, given the apparent prevalence and "normalcy" of this particular trait we might be able to assume that the allele/gene either drifted to fixation (fixed prevalence within the population, in a manner of speaking) or was directly selected for (it granted a selective advantage).

It's possible that the latter is correct, given the ties of this particular trait to the ability to distinguish dangerous from non-dangerous situations. The apparent "racism" may simply have been a secondary result. Or perhaps not.

Word.

Ah, okay. Had to ask. It actually does turn out that certain genes/alleles can simply be lost from populations over time via a process called genetic drift. However, given the apparent prevalence and "normalcy" of this particular trait we might be able to assume that the allele/gene either drifted to fixation (fixed prevalence within the population, in a manner of speaking) or was directly selected for (it granted a selective advantage).

It's possible that the latter is correct, given the ties of this particular trait to the ability to distinguish dangerous from non-dangerous situations. The apparent "racism" may simply have been a secondary result. Or perhaps not.

Word.

Very very interesting.

How does that work? Like when we develop genetic traits that conflict with social normality do we just repress them or could we really lose that genetic trait over time? Is it possible that racism was an evolutionary trait that we could eventually evolve out of needing?

thats an argument over homosexuality that i put forward when i used to come here on a regular basis.
maybe we are all hardwired to be bisexual, but due to generations of brainwashing and being forced not to accept it, none of us (including me) believe we are

We all have the potential to be whatever, but it just depends on your environment.

We all have the potential to be whatever, but it just depends on your environment.
Are you speaking strictly of sexuality? Because clearly you're mistaken if the subjects with this particular disorder are any indication (concerning the topic of this thread). :huh:

I can't fully agree with this quite yet. It's definitely interesting and thought provoking but I still believe racism is from good old fashioned ignorance as well as arrogance.

The problem with me not agreeing with this is because I don't and probably never will agree with the excuse that alcoholism is a disease. That's another excuse in our society were people are getting lazier and dumber and don't want to take responsility for their actions/screw ups. It's called addiction and it tends to be caused by doing too much of something, just like people who get addicted to food or smoking.

I'm not necessarily saying this study is a full on cop out and excuse for people that are racist to keep being racist but it's a stretch in my eyes. As far as i'm concerned racism started all that time ago simply due to people being afraid of others with different colored skin or other differences and because of that fear they overcompensated with arrogance thinking they were superior to that other race.

sexuality aswell as race would be on a spectrum, so you would expect people to be fully heterosexual and fully homosexual and all in between.

Racism is horrible, but i think it's human nature. If everyone on the planet was the same color skin, then we'd find some other characteristic to try and diferentiate ourselves from the next person. There might be bias's between ppl that are tall vs people that are short; they'd always be something. In Europe and Asian. They had the 'cast' system. They'd always be something.....

I can't fully agree with this quite yet. It's definitely interesting and thought provoking but I still believe racism is from good old fashioned ignorance as well as arrogance.

The problem with me not agreeing with this is because I don't and probably never will agree with the excuse that alcoholism is a disease. That's another excuse in our society were people are getting lazier and dumber and don't want to take responsility for their actions/screw ups. It's called addiction and it tends to be caused by doing too much of something, just like people who get addicted to food or smoking.

I'm not necessarily saying this study is a full on cop out and excuse for people that are racist to keep being racist but it's a stretch in my eyes. As far as i'm concerned racism started all that time ago simply due to people being afraid of others with different colored skin or other differences and because of that fear they overcompensated with arrogance thinking they were superior to that other race.

I agree. I also don't think sex addiction is a disease. Tiger Woods was apologizing, etc but for what? Because he was horny all the time? Isn't that healthy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"