A movie that began the current comic book craze.

most people dont even know blades a comic book movie. :o

X Men opened the door to the current comic book movie craze. People went to see it knowing it was a comic movie. People went to see Blade thinking it was just a vampire movie.

Catwoman tried it's best

Very true roach. Some comic fans I know are passionate about keeping their characters genuine & true. But you have to think of 1 thing....I'm sure the best selling comic maybe gets 100,000 in readers monthly. And that is a good fan base but Hollywood wants millions to see it & like it so, they will cut & paste, water down, or re-write things, so it will be more acceptable to a wider audience so essentially, thats why most comic movies can not be 100% true to the character. They allocate millions of dollars on these movies & want to make sure they get more then their money back,so they have to tinker ,in their minds,with comic characters. Blame the movie studios.

Without Superman The Movie (78) there would be no current comic book craze or it would at least not be what it is today. Superman 78 made it possible to adapt a comic book into a movie and have it be succesful.

Darkman may have come abotu BEFORE batman but it did not have the big blockbuster bank that Batman DID. If you want to credit the CURRENT comic book movie I THINK it goes likes this.

1) Superman 78- gave movie studios the eye opener that comic book films COULD be succesful but they werent sure how to go about it nor did the proper technology exist yet to really make them box office draws.

2) Batman 89- Really showed the FULL box office blockbuster potential with Batman setting all sorts of records

3) Blade earns $57 Million its opening weekend

4) X-Men earns around $80 million opening weekend

5) Spider-man $114 million opening weekend nuff said

if Superman started the craze there would have been superhero movies left and right back then. I like Superman the movie and Superman 2 but Superman 3 and 4 shut the door back then.

Orko Is King said:
Blade unlocked the door. X-Men opened it. Spider-Man kicked it off its hinges.

And Batman is going to knock the entire wall down.

Darkman had nothing to do with the latest wave of superhero films. :rolleyes:
it's all because of advances in CGI.

roach said:
if Superman started the craze there would have been superhero movies left and right back then. I like Superman the movie and Superman 2 but Superman 3 and 4 shut the door back then.

I didn't say it started the current craze but opend the door and is the godfather of comic book movies :D

Orko Is King said:
Blade unlocked the door. X-Men opened it. Spider-Man kicked it off its hinges.
Batman found the door.

deathshead2 said:
This makes me want another darkman movie.

There is, two more actually :D 94 & 96

Aslo Darkman came out in 90 Batman came out in 89 :D

I know about the other two but I don't count them as real darkman movies they just don't feel the same. It also make me wish the darkman tv show would have worked but yet again it didn;t. I also what a darkman comic book that is good.

It's almost like in Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade, Blade goes first to see if it's all right, and then X-Men and Spidey followed suit.

People like to credit Blade but I think it was more thanks to X-Men. Everyone I know talks about X-Men but I don't know anyone who talks about Blade.

halfmadjesus said:
The Crow, too, was developed in the wake of Batman, and was heavily influenced by Batman, obviously.

Batman (the comic) may have had a sub-concious influence on O'Barr when he wrote the Crow..that we will never know. But the Batman movie isnt a massive influence on the movie, IMO, tho it may look like it because of the natural similarities that are there anyway, both being revenge parables.

dark_knight_fan said:
I didn't say it started the current craze but opend the door and is the godfather of comic book movies :D

aye. even down to the "two good films, then a couple of crappy sequels" formula.

logansoldcigar said:
Batman (the comic) may have had a sub-concious influence on O'Barr when he wrote the Crow..that we will never know. But the Batman movie isnt a massive influence on the movie, IMO, tho it may look like it because of the natural similarities that are there anyway, both being revenge parables.

I thought this way too until I bought the Crow TPB. I cant remember who wrote the foreword but the person believes that James O'Barr lost someone close to him and created the Crow to deal with his emotions. This is a very sad book...and a completely different animal than Batman.

Mystery Men is a great comic book film, but no-body saw it. :(

And, there was Men In Black. But that came out the same year as the horrid [shumacher comicbook film featuring rubber nipples], and it isn't terribly comicbook-ey, so I don't know.

logansoldcigar said:
aye. even down to the "two good films, then a couple of crappy sequels" formula.

Might have something to do with Mario Puzo of the Godfather series writing the first two movies

I still think, in a serendipitous way, Darkman was a catalyst for comic book movies. It was directed by Sam Raimi who showed his style ,and how good he was. Sony chose him knowing he directed that film which was a comic book style movie and trusted him for Spider-Man. And it was Spider-man that became a major blockbuster earning over $400 million in the U.S. alone , more then 3 times what X-Men did & that is why movie studios sat up & noticed the strength of comic films. So, in a way it was Darkman. A damn fine film too.

dark_knight_fan said:
Without Superman The Movie (78) there would be no current comic book craze or it would at least not be what it is today. Superman 78 made it possible to adapt a comic book into a movie and have it be succesful.

Darkman may have come abotu BEFORE batman but it did not have the big blockbuster bank that Batman DID. If you want to credit the CURRENT comic book movie I THINK it goes likes this.

1) Superman 78- gave movie studios the eye opener that comic book films COULD be succesful but they werent sure how to go about it nor did the proper technology exist yet to really make them box office draws.

2) Batman 89- Really showed the FULL box office blockbuster potential with Batman setting all sorts of records

Superman & Batman, hmm, I remember Superman never was " Succesful " against '70s movies like Jaws, Aliens, or Star Wars. In fact, Superman was only one comicbook character in '70s and part of '80s. So where is the comicbook craze?

I think Conan The Barbarian ( '80s ) was more succesful instead Superman.

Batman, yes he killed the good reputation of comicbook movies ( In '90s ) thanks to Joel Shumacher, Batman and Robin flick, and the " Batnipples" ,so if you want to credit about current comicbook movie craze, give the credit to anothers comicbook characters, not Batman and Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"