A Preserved Mammoth is Finally Found

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
msgfwh.jpg

By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY
A baby mammoth dubbed Lyuba had her brief life cut short in a swamp 40,000 years ago, but the well-preserved specimen will provide the world a window into the extinct creatures from the Ice Age.

REPORTER Q&A: Read Dan Vergano's answers to your questions

Discovered in 2007, the 1-month-old mammoth died suddenly, probably trapped in mud. "She was doing great, very healthy," says paleontologist Dan Fisher of the University of Michigan, part of the international team researching Lyuba. "She just had this terrible misfortune."

Lyuba appears in the May National Geographic and in Waking the Baby Mammoth Sunday (9 p.m. ET/PT) on the National Geographic Channel. She's perhaps the best-preserved mammoth ever discovered: Lyuba's skin and internal organs appear intact, as well as traces of mother's milk found in her stomach. The only damage to the mammoth, which is less than 3 feet tall, are bite marks from village dogs.

Covered in coarse hair, the woolly mammoth, Mammuthus primigenius, roamed Eurasia and western North America at least 200,000 to 10,000 years ago. Dozens of partly intact woolly mammoths have been uncovered from Siberia's tundra, but Lyuba exhibits remarkable preservation. "She's all there," Fisher says. Preliminary analysis by Fisher and colleagues suggests the clay and silt that swallowed up the baby mammoth effectively "pickled" her.

no, kid, you can't keep it

40,000 years ago? This is clearly satan tempting us.

We already found one.

*nvm...look at the date.

That kid looks totally sad that he will never be able to rid it:(

zactly.

it is a cute lil thing tho, give credit where its due.

I used to watch that religiously...for some reason...

I used to watch it all the time too, because it came on right before Sonic the Hedgehog.

check out the cute little tusks!

EDIT*

nevermind, those aren't tusks.

Interesting discovery. Drowning in mud is a nasty way to go to though. Poor baby mammoth.

It's okay...he doesn't remember it.

BRING I BACK TO LIFE!!! IT WILL BE AWESOME!!!

No really, some bio-technologists and researchers in Japan have been trying to clone Mammoth DNA... this is a perfect specimen...

I think it's fascinating that they found that Mammoth. If I'm in Chicago next year I'll definitely check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"