A "Real Performing Robot" for Robocop reboot

luca_frontino

Civilian
Reaction score
The only thing that made me cringe in the original movie was that Robocop looked totally obvious as a guy in a suit. Including when shooting with his Beretta and his arm moved too much for the ricochet.
So why not just make a real working robot as Robocop? (we all know CGI-ing the whole thing would look fake).

Who notices stuff like his arms moving when he's shooting his gun? Really.

Well, I guess you don't. But I do. I also notice the bad stop-motion stuttering effects and puppet look of ED-209 scenes.

Well, I guess you don't. But I do. I also notice the bad stop-motion stuttering effects and puppet look of ED-209 scenes.
i think everyone noticed this. :dry:
it was the best they could do in the 80's on that budget.

i hope you are joking about the real robot. do you even know how much it would cost to design it ?

In Terminator 3 with $130 millions they could include the realization of real robots for the T-1s. So, I figured, in a modern budget and with today robotics it can be done.

The ED 209's charm is the fact that it is a stop motion puppet. And it still looks better than some of the CGI today

Also I think you're talking about animatronics not a 'real' robot. Is Rnlgiah our first language?

I quoted Stan Winston when he talked about his T-1 for T3: he called it "a real performing robot".

stop-motion is a gazillion times better than computer-effects imo. ED-209 ****s on modern day cg-robots!

Haha yeah not even close. Good cg will always be better than good stop motion which it should be. I loved how Weller played Robocop, I actually always thought it was stunning how he was able to move like a robot so much.

In Terminator 3 with $130 millions they could include the realization of real robots for the T-1s. So, I figured, in a modern budget and with today robotics it can be done.

Robocop is the main character, I would not like a real robot in the role since he is a cyborg and in T3 the real robots were only use for small scenes ( I think ).

The ED 209's charm is the fact that it is a stop motion puppet. And it still looks better than some of the CGI today

Quote For Truth.

A "real performing robot" would cost money out the yazoo and probably not be able to move worth a crap.

I say stick with a guy in a suit, please. Especially since it kind of makes sense for Robocop to played by a guy in a suit - he was once a human being to start with.

Haha yeah not even close. Good cg will always be better than good stop motion which it should be.
Nope :cwink: Its because with cg you know its not there. With stop-motion, the thing is there for real.

I'll take the cg t-rex in Jurassic Park over what the stop motion t-rex looked like any day of the week. Stop motion is very janky in motion, very rigid.

It doesn't make sense to have another movie wich still use the "guy in a suit" technique that in Iron Man 2 was used for the Donut scene and the armor looked so fake!
Either find a way to make a stunning animatronic while staying within the budget or do not make the movie at all. Just putting Chris Pine in a suit and doing the roboto-moving will plain suck today.

Since real robots or robots that feels like they are real doesnt exist, that is out of the question.

I demand they remake Jurassic Park with real dinosaurs. You could totally tell that they weren't real.

It doesn't make sense to have another movie wich still use the "guy in a suit" technique that in Iron Man 2 was used for the Donut scene and the armor looked so fake!
Either find a way to make a stunning animatronic while staying within the budget or do not make the movie at all. Just putting Chris Pine in a suit and doing the roboto-moving will plain suck today.

Iron Man's armor looked fake? :huh: I'm aware that they added small pieces of armor to his hands and forearms in that scene, but its not anything I would call fake (I don't even recall noticing it to be cgi - the only reason I know it is because of set photos).

I do agree that just putting a guy in a robot suit and making him do the robot dance throughout the entire film will be lame. I couldnt stand it 20 years ago, won't be able to stand it now. I think using CGI and animatronics to accentuate a practical suit and make it look less like guy in a suit would be the best course of action.

Nope :cwink: Its because with cg you know its not there. With stop-motion, the thing is there for real.

No its not. They film the stop motion separately and insert it into the scene, just like they would with CGI. Even if you're talking about is simply actually existing in the real world, that still doesn't equate to stop motion being better. There is just no way to make stop motion look convincing motion wise. Its too archaic a medium to do so. Granted, I love stop motion, but it was never going to be a better medium than CGI. Both have their place, pros and cons, but CGI is just a more convincing tool all around.

Here's a wacky idea: How about they don't reboot Robocop at all?

I always thought Wellers movements were pretty good and robotic in the suit. Especially when you compare him to later actors to take the role like Paige Fletcher.

And Wellers thin frame allowed for the suit to look like a more normally proportioned body instead of a guy in a suit...which often looks more bulky than Weller's Robocop did.

If they do ever (sadly) remake Robocop it should be done with a a multitude of techniques. Not just CGI or animatronics or make up and costuming but all three and more. Even the original films used puppets for some shots of Robocop so I'm not sure where this idea that they were never used came from.

I remember one shot from behind of Robo with his helmet off and theres no way it was a guy in a suit because you could see through parts of his neck workings.

If I had my way there would never be a full on remake/reboot of Roboocop with the same characters. I might be open to a new reboot with a new cyborg thats not Alex Murphy. Something that jumps farther into the future and shows the advancements made in cybernetic law enforcement. But the thought of some new people redoing the original Robocop story with the same characters doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited:
At the present moment, I see this movie going the route of the Escape from New York remake, where it stays in development hell just long enough to get cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"