Comics A solution to the "Iron Spider" problem

Miss Webb

Sidekick
Reaction score
It's painfully clear at some point Peter and Tony will clash. Now that being said, we KNOW the iron suit isn't permanent. So here's what I propose. Let Pete design his OWN upgraded costume, maybe combining certain elements of the new one with the old. He could design it to reflect the changes he's gone through. Even though I don't particularly like the new suit, there are parts of it that look cool. For instance, the shoulder panels look like mandibles when pete's in shadow on a wall. The red and blue may be classic, but when's the last time you saw a red and blue spider? Frankly, the old suit looks kinda dated now. And an all cloth outfit just won't cut it with the super powered baddies out there now (heck, in DC even Batman learned that. Fabric ain't gonna stop a taser) It would also give Pete a chance to show off his own knowledge and creativity.

My own idea? I'd make it a variant of the venom costume, similiar in color but not exactly (like a dark, midnight blue instead of black) maybe keeping some of the design elements of the new suit (thinner arms, more spidery like, assuming they aren't organic) going for more of a sleek, rather than mirror gloss shiny look. And NO SPATS!!! But the overall color would have to be more reminiscent of a real spider, like a slight iridescent effect.

BTW, I really dig the cover of ASM #534. That ass shot of Pete did...interesting things to my mind. :D

But didn't it strike anyone as odd that Cap could sneak up on Spidey unaware? And who was that running in the alley?

Miss Webb said:
It's painfully clear at some point Peter and Tony will clash. Now that being said, we KNOW the iron suit isn't permanent. So here's what I propose. Let Pete design his OWN upgraded costume, maybe combining certain elements of the new one with the old. He could design it to reflect the changes he's gone through. Even though I don't particularly like the new suit, there are parts of it that look cool. For instance, the shoulder panels look like mandibles when pete's in shadow on a wall. The red and blue may be classic, but when's the last time you saw a red and blue spider? Frankly, the old suit looks kinda dated now. And an all cloth outfit just won't cut it with the super powered baddies out there now (heck, in DC even Batman learned that. Fabric ain't gonna stop a taser) It would also give Pete a chance to show off his own knowledge and creativity.

People identify with the "old suit". It makes them click into the fact that they're reading Spider-Man and not Iron Man, where costumes and secret disguises are made at a whim for the new situation. It's worked for Batman and Superman for more than half a century, and Spidey shouldn't be forced to make drastic change to cause controversy amongst the fanbase.

My own idea? I'd make it a variant of the venom costume, similiar in color but not exactly (like a dark, midnight blue instead of black) maybe keeping some of the design elements of the new suit (thinner arms, more spidery like, assuming they aren't organic) going for more of a sleek, rather than mirror gloss shiny look. And NO SPATS!!! But the overall color would have to be more reminiscent of a real spider, like a slight iridescent effect.

Whatever Joey Q. is trying to inject into fandom, I must reiterate- this is Spider-Man, not Man-Spider. Underneath the costume he is Peter Parker, not a twice-reborn spider totem. That said, his costume should only reflect his spider powers to the extent that it is not impractical. From what I've seen the best thing those legs of his have done to date is managed to get a hit in on Captain America in the Civil War debacle. The webshooters emphasize enough that he's a genius. We don't need a Monster Garage job done to his suit to reflect this.

BTW, I really dig the cover of ASM #534. That ass shot of Pete did...interesting things to my mind. :D

...Okay...

But didn't it strike anyone as odd that Cap could sneak up on Spidey unaware? And who was that running in the alley?

No idea about the alley, but in Civil War Cap seems to be Moses leading his people. If there is something that doesn't make sense (Cap brutalizing Spidey in a few punches that make him go numb below the waist comes to mind) there is a simple answer...Jesus powers.

I think that even with the organic webs he should wear the old suit + ben's improved webshooters with the stingers and etc.

Less is more.

I.E The Black costume. Possibly why it became so popular and earned a soft spot in fan's hearts.

Had this costume been taken by the fans with open arms, I'd say keep it after all this is done. Possibly incoporate aspects of it to Peter's old classic duds. But the fact of the matter is...it hasn't. Not at all. So unpopular that I doubt even giving it to an existing villain or someone random to forge a new villain, would be a good idea.

The costume is a plot device. Plain and simple. And when Civil War is through and through, it'll be just that. Through and through.

**** that ****.

Spidey's costume is, hands down, the single best costume in comics. Everything else is ass. Including the symbiote version.

Personally I loved the Symbiote costume. And Ben Reily's take on Spidey's original costume. I found that to respect the old one enough, while at the same time, giving it a new edge and just making it look cooler.

Spidey will find out that Tony is using the suit to monitor his activities and swear off any kind of tech suit for a while because he no longer trusts tony or the suit. Spidey may be smart, but I doubt he could make a tech suit like that. So he will go back to the classic red and blue cloth. Followed by a return of the black suit when SM3 comes out. Or atleast a big return of Venom (Eddie Brock).

ampersand said:
Spidey will find out that Tony is using the suit to monitor his activities and swear off any kind of tech suit for a while because he no longer trusts tony or the suit. Spidey may be smart, but I doubt he could make a tech suit like that. So he will go back to the classic red and blue cloth. Followed by a return of the black suit when SM3 comes out. Or atleast a big return of Venom (Eddie Brock).

The whole storyline is predicable and in a sense unnecessary but that's how they force a certain storyline to go.

ChibiKiriyama said:
People identify with the "old suit". It makes them click into the fact that they're reading Spider-Man and not Iron Man, where costumes and secret disguises are made at a whim for the new situation. It's worked for Batman and Superman for more than half a century, and Spidey shouldn't be forced to make drastic change to cause controversy amongst the fanbase.

You know, that's the only real thing in the old costume's favor. Not the design or look. Funny thing is, it dosen't FEEL spiderman, but we're so used to it we associate the colors. Actually, I think the main reason was at the time it was less expensive to use primary colors (less overprinting in production runs) which is why a lot of heroes wore red/blue (or some combination). One color print is faster than multiple to get other colors. Yellow was not as versatile as a primary color. It was a cost cutting move in some instances. Batman's uni is iconic, but it has changed over the years, from gray/blue/black with yellow oval, to all black with different belt and NO oval. There's nothing in stone. There's even two or three versions of the black suit. But he NEVER wears the original with the oval anymore.

Whatever Joey Q. is trying to inject into fandom, I must reiterate- this is Spider-Man, not Man-Spider. Underneath the costume he is Peter Parker, not a twice-reborn spider totem. That said, his costume should only reflect his spider powers to the extent that it is not impractical. From what I've seen the best thing those legs of his have done to date is managed to get a hit in on Captain America in the Civil War debacle. The webshooters emphasize enough that he's a genius. We don't need a Monster Garage job done to his suit to reflect this.

Webshooters don't indicate genius. The patent trademark office is full of patents from 'geniuses' with trinkets that don't do anything. They show Peter has an intellectual mind, if he ever uses it right with his enhanced senses. Peter can be whatever he is. All I'm saying is that its time for him to make a suit based on HIS self image, not what anyone else thinks he should be wearing.

...Okay...

And yeah, we ladies look at men's butts too. A little getback, ya know?

No idea about the alley, but in Civil War Cap seems to be Moses leading his people. If there is something that doesn't make sense (Cap brutalizing Spidey in a few punches that make him go numb below the waist comes to mind) there is a simple answer...Jesus powers.

Maybe, unless the suit is somewhat dulling his spidersense. Cap appeared suddenly behind him in the alley and spidey didn't even wonder at that. The hero running away shouldn't have preoccupied him THAT much.

My solution.

Peter basically gets the symbiote treatment except it was via somebody he trusted. I mean the suit is essentially the symbiote suit in machine form. the nanobots on the suit could probably manipulate spiderman(aka take him down if he turned to the side of good).

there's already a solution
tony is using the suit to monitor SM (ASM 534)
SM is feeling uneasy about the side he chose
therefore he ditches the suit (after tony uses it against him) after ditching tony's side
he goes back to his red and blues
next year he defeats the other and becomes more human again
the end. im at least half right...

Personally, I think it can/will be as simple as Peter turning on Tony, the Iron Spidey suit being destroyed, and Peter going back to his standard threads. It's not really that much of a stretch or anything - Peter really doesn't have the resources to do something as high-tech as Tony made.

no flirting on the SHH *grinds teeth in sexual frustration*;)

ditch the red/gold abomination and stick it so far inside Stark's rectum that it comes out of Iron Drunk's mouth... That's what I'd do... The beat stark to a pulp for spying on my Supermodel wife with his cameras in the shower... you know he has them... Then I'd go and beat the crap out of Norman Osborn because, somehow he was the mastermind behind all of this...

Miss Webb said:
Maybe, unless the suit is somewhat dulling his spidersense. Cap appeared suddenly behind him in the alley and spidey didn't even wonder at that. The hero running away shouldn't have preoccupied him THAT much.

No, the problem stems from the fact that the Spidey writers these days seem to forget that he HAS a spider-sense, or how the damn thing even works.

Again, this is the editors fault for not calling these things into question. Just like that statue that Tony had in the Parker's bedroom, these things should make his spider-sense SCREAM.

Doc Destruction said:
Just like that statue that Tony had in the Parker's bedroom, these things should make his spider-sense SCREAM.

Good call - never even considered that to be honest. Although to be fair, the concept of spider sense is so vague that it's pretty much always been written inconsistently. For example, in the early days it was written that he could (for example) sense a gun in a persons coat. Later, the nature of S-S was changed to being able to sense an immediate incoming threat or a person who has the intention of causing harm.

Of course, after the Other, with his supposed heightened sense, you would have figured he'd catch the fact that Tony's being duplicitous. Ah well...

In any case, when it comes to the Iron brawl, i'd like to see Tony try to activate the suit nanobots only for them to apparently malfunction. While he's banging the remote off the wall in frustration, Pete kicking his ass, Pete just smirks and says, 'What? Those nanobots? Sheee-iiit Tone! Deactivated them ages ago! First thing I did chuckles!' Iron Man stutters some more, uncomprehendingly as Pete kicks the crap outta him.

Then, in a magnificent display of fourth wall breaking, Pete turns to us and says, 'C'mon, you didn't think I was that stupid, did you? Please...'

Better idea; have Jameson win the suit against Peter and get the Iron suit, Have him decide to wear it like a walking trophy, but it immediately malfunctions at work and is permanently stuck in either the Iron Spider or the normal Spider-man outfits. Watch Jonah go short term insane from being dressed like Spider-man until he gets home. Maybe even have one of his Spider-slayers in his attic misidentify him as Spider-man and capture him

Inspite of it all it's cool how Spidey's friends can fix him up with high tech gear. The are few design flaws. It doesn't compromise all of Spidey's abilities and character. Its origin is better than an alien symbiote. I like it more than the Batman Beyond costume.

Rambo said:
Good call - never even considered that to be honest. Although to be fair, the concept of spider sense is so vague that it's pretty much always been written inconsistently. For example, in the early days it was written that he could (for example) sense a gun in a persons coat. Later, the nature of S-S was changed to being able to sense an immediate incoming threat or a person who has the intention of causing harm.

Of course, after the Other, with his supposed heightened sense, you would have figured he'd catch the fact that Tony's being duplicitous. Ah well...

In any case, when it comes to the Iron brawl, i'd like to see Tony try to activate the suit nanobots only for them to apparently malfunction. While he's banging the remote off the wall in frustration, Pete kicking his ass, Pete just smirks and says, 'What? Those nanobots? Sheee-iiit Tone! Deactivated them ages ago! First thing I did chuckles!' Iron Man stutters some more, uncomprehendingly as Pete kicks the crap outta him.

Then, in a magnificent display of fourth wall breaking, Pete turns to us and says, 'C'mon, you didn't think I was that stupid, did you? Please...'

I like the fourth wall breakage (Big fan of deadpool btw :D) and it would make alot of us VERY happy. Because Pete's been acting like an idiot since he joined NA, it would be nice to see that he's not been hit in the head a few too many times and actually beats down on Tony. Hell, I just want to see him beat down on Tony for being an ass :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"