About Kingdom Come

If you want to show them Superhero story, I would have gone with Red Son. It's something to talk about in collage I guess, since there are some real interesting things in it.
The capitalist leader Lex, only cares about himself and mad with power, while the communist leader superman cares for his people more than anything else. The first one is right for the wrong reasons, the other is wrong, but for the right reasons.
It's a very good metaphore, and it takes himself somewhat more serously.

Actually the best thing for people who are cynical about superheroes in general is miracleman by Alan Moore.

But that will never be collected it seems.

Pksoze said:
Actually the best thing for people who are cynical about superheroes in general is miracleman by Alan Moore.

But that will never be collected it seems.

Eh, from what I've read of Miracleman, I don't think it holds a candle to Watchmen.

From what I've read, Miracleman is mostly a wierdly put together script that creates an excuse to have over-the-top, disturbing violence.

Watchmen, on the other hand, is f**kin' deep, philosophying, literature.

MaskedManJRK said:
Eh, from what I've read of Miracleman, I don't think it holds a candle to Watchmen.

From what I've read, Miracleman is mostly a wierdly put together script that creates an excuse to have over-the-top, disturbing violence.

Watchmen, on the other hand, is f**kin' deep, philosophying, literature.

Then you're wrong.

I have the entire Moore run plus Gaiman.

It imho blows Watchmen away.

I agree with GyLocke about Red Son. It's really good and surprisingly, pretty deep. Plus, I was flabbergasted by the ending.

I would not say that any Elsewhere books would be good. In order to fully understand and appreciate them, usually a knowledge and understanding of the real character are required first

I don't think something like Red Son is all that bad. If you have a border line knowledge of what Superman is about, truth, justice, being the ultimate good guy, and Luthor, always wanting to kill Superman, you'd pretty much get what the book is all about. Although, you do have a good point.

Yeah, base knowledge of Superman is central, obviously, but remember that book also involves Bizarro, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern(s) and more

Those elements are fun for us comic fans, but I think if they weren't there it would be more accessible to non-fans

I can agree with that, but I still think it's fairly accesseble to the non-fan. But you're right, some of the stuff would go over their heads or confuse them.

I don't know if you could use this now but here's my debate on the graphic novels you could sue for a class, even to teach on:

First off, MARVELS & KINGDOM COME are perfect. One thing they share is that the everyman is the focus of each story. Not the superheroes. While that isn't entirely true in KINGDOM COME's case, its both interesting and somewhat better to read on what someone else from the public for example sees and feels from a situation that's going on rather than watch it mostly from the heroes and villians point of view.

Finally, its THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER-HEROES. Now if you don't know what that is, its the name to the collection that collects the 6 dini/Ross books of SUPERMAN: PEACE ON EARTH, BATMAN: WAR ON CRIME, SHAZAM! POWER OF HOPE, WONDER WOMAN: SPIRIT OF TRUTH, JLA: SECRET ORIGINS and JLA: LIBERTY & JUSTICE. The reason this is good? Its because it shows us how much HUMAN these superheroes are. This is very good to have, suggest and show to everyone.

Its like if somebody can't picture a superhero fighting something we face, well show them this and they'll see that they can see it. To give examples on this: Superman fights world hunger but he doesn't succeed. Yet, he learns and spreads his words of wisdom to everyone else to come together to fight the problem which, in turn, is from what his father use to say when he grew up. Batman goes and examines what he would've been like if he didn't have his resources (fight crime or join it) and in the end, he saves a kid who has experience the same tragedy he had and is gonna wait for someone to do the same to him.

Those are the examples of why this is good and why you should use it.

Pksoze said:
Then you're wrong.

I have the entire Moore run plus Gaiman.

It imho blows Watchmen away.

Yeah, I haven't read it all, so I can't make an accurate review. But, I find it very hard to believe it blows Watchmen away--maybe in shock value and possibly emotion, but it can't possibly be as deep and inter-connecting as Watchmen.

Is Kingdom Come in an Hardcover Edition? I was going to pick it up over at Barnes and Nobles, but wasn't sure if there was a HC.

^ wait til this summer...(I think July)....the Absolute version is coming out.

And it will rock....

I have the hardcover KC already, but I think I'm going to get the Absolute version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"