• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Adapting Batman stories from comics to animation.

Spider-Kurt!

Civilian
Reaction score
As you know, the running time of most of DC's animated features is about 75 minutes. I think the powers that be did a great job of tighting up and tweeking Under the Red Hood and Public Ememies so far. My question is, how would you rework some other multi issue stories to a 75 minute animated film? What would you change? What would you leave out?

Here's a few to get things started...

The Long Halloween
Hush
Knightfall
The Dark Knight Returns
Tower of Babel (JLA)

Knightfall- Bane busting everyone out of Arkham would be cut out, and Bruce would be roughed up real bad early on.

Be more specific. How do you see Bane wearing Batman down mentally or much as physically? Would you use Azrael?

I think the physical beat down would be the best, as there's just not enough time for proper psychological torment. It would probably just be one big fight between the two (doesn't matter where). Then it would just be the same story from the books, but condensed. Dick would be upset, Tim suspicious, and Jean Paul goes overboard. Bruce recovers and it becomes a big physical and mental fight between the Batmen, with Bruce winning in the end.

If they ever tried Knightfall in a single 75 minutes animated film it would be 100% butchered. It would be like trying to stuff a big dog in a jar of jam. Setting it across two films would be much better.

And at 75 minutes, Long Halloween would need two films as well. Most of the stories you listed would, except DKR. That one could work as a single 100 minute to 2 hour animated film.

I think the physical beat down would be the best, as there's just not enough time for proper psychological torment. It would probably just be one big fight between the two (doesn't matter where). Then it would just be the same story from the books, but condensed. Dick would be upset, Tim suspicious, and Jean Paul goes overboard. Bruce recovers and it becomes a big physical and mental fight between the Batmen, with Bruce winning in the end.
I could see it going something like that but do you think Azrael would have to be introduced in a film prior to Knightfall so the general public would understand why Jean Paul would take over the mantle or do you think he could just become a sort of new armored Batman without Bruce's blessing during his absence?

If they ever tried Knightfall in a single 75 minutes animated film it would be 100% butchered. It would be like trying to stuff a big dog in a jar of jam. Setting it across two films would be much better.

And at 75 minutes, Long Halloween would need two films as well. Most of the stories you listed would, except DKR. That one could work as a single 100 minute to 2 hour animated film.
Agreed! If they were to expand the length of any Batman animated film adaptation,it probably would be TLH.

By the way,how could they adapt Batman R.I.P.?

Ive always wanted to see No Mans Land as an animated film. I think it could be streamlined very easily. Batman and associates hunting down a criminal, or maybe just chillin in the cave, then suddenly the quake hits. tons of villain opportunities, plenty of heroes, etc. Though I would probably change up some of the participating heroes. For example, make Huntress catwoman. Obviously it would come down to the joker and the baby snatching gimmick.

I like to see:

Batman: Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
The Killing Joke
The Man Who Laughs
Knightfall

Ive always wanted to see No Mans Land as an animated film. I think it could be streamlined very easily. Batman and associates hunting down a criminal, or maybe just chillin in the cave, then suddenly the quake hits. tons of villain opportunities, plenty of heroes, etc. Though I would probably change up some of the participating heroes. For example, make Huntress catwoman. Obviously it would come down to the joker and the baby snatching gimmick.
lI know it's a poplular story. Aren't there about 5 volumes in all? I have the last issue
where the Joker kills Gordon's wife and then Gordon shoots the Joker in his leg
.That would be such a powerful scene to see.

I like to see:

Batman: Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
The Killing Joke
The Man Who Laughs
Knightfall
We're getting Year One next year and I'm certainly looking forward to that.The rest of your list sounds great and is probably likely to happen at some point.Especially the Killing Joke and the Loeb/Sale collaborations.

Yeah I forgot that Year One is becoming a animated movie, I would love to see Batman: Bruce Wayne - Fugitive

Last edited:
I forgot about it as well. No doubt Year One will be amazing. I hope they go for the same sepia color palette as the comic.

I'd actually really like to see Batman: Hush animated.

I may be one of the only people that really loves this story and I'm not sure why people didn't enjoy it. But i remember when it was running, it had the whole net going with rumors about who Hush was.

I really look forward to Year One. Hush and TDKR may be done well if they tried. Long Halloween and Nightfall - that's gonna be harder. But who knows. Superman: Doomsday was awesome, Knightfall may get a good treat, too.

I think it's about time something with Jerimiah Arkham was done. I know most people here seem to hate Zsasz but I wouldn't mind seeing the Last Arkham story being adapted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"