• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Winter Soldier Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that some people are so surprised that Mackie was great as the Falcon. Has Anthony Mackie EVER given a bad performance, because if he has then I haven't seen it? Also, the quotes about BW/female characters being awesome really make me smile.

And...
@GermainLussier: Captain America: The Winter Soldier is awesome. A tad too long, a tad too plotty, but its action & MCU impact will blow your damn mind.

MCU impact eh?

No more SHIELD? Cap takes over? Civil War set-up?

I hope there's some impact. IM3 and Thor 2 were such filler stories.

Last edited:
LOL, someone complaining its too long.
Yeah, seriously.

My one legitimate negative criticism was that the music was nothing special (other than Winter Soldier's theme). I wish they stuck more with Silvestri's theme, although I suppose that full score wouldn't fit as well with TWS' tone.

Oh, and there was a moment where the CGI didn't look 100% complete. Maybe they'll have time to fix that?

What's funny about this? Maybe he thought the movie lost steam at the end or something.

I think he's just amused at a different wrinkle to the old runtime debacle, which usually has people worried about a film being too short.

What's funny about this? Maybe he thought the movie lost steam at the end or something.
For the longest time people complaining that these movies are too short. This movie isn't much longer than the others, but it's probably the second longest MCU after The Avengers. And someone complains about it. The irony.

Yeah, seriously.

My one legitimate negative criticism was that the music was nothing special (other than Winter Soldier's theme). I wish they stuck more with Silvestri's theme, although I suppose that full score wouldn't fit as well with TWS' tone.

Then we're pretty much on the same page. I liked a few moments but in general, the music didn't get me.

@Suzanne: Do you want to know about that one line? :p I mean, it's not like it isn't spoiled already :D

This is so exciting! I'm so turnt up for this film! And these early reactions are Majah!

Then we're pretty much on the same page. I liked a few moments but in general, the music didn't get me.

@Suzanne: Do you want to know about that one line? :p I mean, it's not like it isn't spoiled already :D

I really wish Marvel would try to find a composer who can give their movie some amazing and iconic scores, but it seems to me that Marvel doesn't consider it a top priority so we have had so few memorable themes in MCU. Maybe someday they will get it.

I'm not Suzanne but I want to know! Please? :cwink:

I really wish Marvel would try to find a composer who can give their movie some amazing and iconic scores, but it seems to me that Marvel doesn't consider it a top priority so we have had so few memorable themes in MCU. Maybe someday they will get it.
They are trying to improve that , Tyler Bates will probably make a good score for GOTG and I'm sure Steven Price will deliver a perfect score for Ant-Man !

Was it like MoS or TDKR when we constantly had music playing or was it only there for action scenes or something like that ?

Last edited:
They tuned it up in the action scenes, otherwise it was mostly quiet and didn't disturb me, and that's the most I expect out of a soundtrack these days. I'm really hoping for a bigger emotional impact in AOU.

Xeno:
Well, that one spoiler pic with the Bucky finger pretty much nailed it already *G*. We've got that line once in a flashback scene with Steve and Bucky and Steve gives it back to him in the end battle then which makes a crucial difference in that duel.

Ok just twitter reactions...must...control.....expectations ....arrrrrghghh!!!!!

They tuned it up in the action scenes, otherwise it was mostly quiet and didn't disturb me, and that's the most I expect out of a soundtrack these days. I'm really hoping for a bigger emotional impact in AOU.

Xeno:
Well, that one spoiler pic with the Bucky finger pretty much nailed it already *G*. We've got that line once in a flashback scene with Steve and Bucky and Steve gives it back to him in the end battle then which makes a crucial difference in that duel.

Thanks! I thought it was spoken in an entirely different context in a scene from the comic book
when the elderly Peggy died with Steve at her bedside. No one has said that Peggy dies in the film but I'm afraid she will. :csad:

Great to hear that the reactions are all positive. Now I just hope that the movie lives up to the positive reactions. lol. I've been through this many times before. With this one I don't have any problem believing the hype though. From all I've seen it definitely looks to be the best since Avengers. And on that note, it is really hard for a solo film to top the majesty and awe of a team-up movie like the Avengers. That was the first of its kind and it is not easy to beat an experience like that.

I imagine the story could be stronger (it's not difficult to beat Avengers on that front imo).

I imagine the story could be stronger (it's not difficult to beat Avengers on that front imo).
That's true. Sounds like the story is pretty focused and intriguing. And I'm glad to hear that this is the darkest Marvel film yet. It is a pretty serious story,Cap isn't a super jokey character, and he doesn't have a bunch of comedy relief friends. :p

That's true. Sounds like the story is pretty focused and intriguing. And I'm glad to hear that this is the darkest Marvel film yet. It is a pretty serious story,Cap isn't a super jokey character, and he doesn't have a bunch of comedy relief friends. :p

I don't mind comic relief characters, as long as they have an actual purpose. :yay:

I'm hoping the story is good at least. Nothing in the trailer has really grabbed me yet (both from an action and story standpoint), but the premise seems like it has potential.

Neither is Thor, but the mistake was to have Darcy and that intern in TDW which ruined several tension-filled scenes with their antics. Thankfully the Russo brothers wisely kept this kind of comedy out of TWS.

For me, if Darcy wasn't in the movie, I probably would have fallen asleep. I don't think the story would have been able to create any tension anyways.

But Darcy and the comedy is more of a bandaid solution for keeping the audience awake. The better solution would have been just to create a more compelling conflict/story.

For me, if Darcy wasn't in the movie, I probably would have fallen asleep. I don't think the story would have been able to create any tension anyways.

But Darcy and the comedy is more of a bandaid solution for keeping the audience awake. The better solution would have been just to create a more compelling conflict/story.

I disagree. I think they can make a movie with compelling story for Thor, and in fact they have done it plenty of times in the comic book. I think the scenes on Asgard and the other Realms were the best, and if they had incorporated Sif and the Warriors Three more, the movie would've been better already. I understand that they wanted to use Jane as the reason for Thor to pay more attention to Midgard/Earth, but imo there are other ways to accomplish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"