GekigangerV

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117981194.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

WB takes franchise turn with 'Akira'
Studio to adapt classic anime story
By MICHAEL FLEMING

'Akira'
Warner Bros. will turn anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s six-volume graphic novel masterwork “Akira” into two live action feature films, the first of which is being fast tracked for release in summer 2009.

WB, which had the “Akira” rights several years ago, only to let them lapse and then recapture them in a spirited bidding battle, is planning a twin-bill that the filmmakers have described as “Blade Runner” meets “City of God.”

Studio has closed a seven-figure rights acquisition deal with Kodansha, and has set Ruairi Robinson to direct a script by Gary Whitta (“Book of Eli”). Andrew Lazar’s Mad Chance will produce with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.

Each feature will be comprised of three of the books in Otomo’s series. The drama takes place in “New Manhattan,” a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago.

Robinson, an Irish helmer who has been Oscar-nominated for his short film and commercials work, is making his feature debut.

The project was brought in by exec veep Greg Silverman, who has supervised “300” and “Batman Begins.”

Lazar is producer on the WB comedy “Get Smart,” and he’s about to start production on the Jim Carrey-starrer “I Love You Phillip Morris” for Europacorp and Fox Searchlight.

Appian Way is producing the John Cusack-starrer “The Factory” for WB and Dark Castle.

So "New Manhattan" is the location. Best case scenario is they do a "Magnificent Seven" approach and take many of the same plot elements and character attributes and apply them to white people. Will they even end up keeping the title of "Akira?"

Joseph Gordon Levitt's will portray antihero Tetsuo Shima.
Tetsuo_shima.jpg

JosephGordon_Grant_14399458.jpg

The actor who will portray Kaneda still hasn't been revealed. Some believe that not only will Leonardo DiCaprio produce the film but star as Kaneda as well.

Live-Action AKIRA moves forward... with the King Of The World? PLUS - Exclusive AICN - We Know who Tetsuo is!

Hey folks, Harry here - we had this story, the one about DiCaprio - about a week ago, but while Moriarty was playing with Toshi - we lost the exclusive. Dammit. However, now we have Tetsuo - which isn't as big a name as DiCaprio - but it's a damn fine name. Joseph Gordon Levitt... you know - from BRICK - the upcoming STOP LOSS and G.I. JOE! Joseph is a fine fine young actor - and I'm very much looking forward to watching him opposite Leo. Now - here's Quint with the original story...
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I'm not the anime expert here, but you don't need to be an anime geek to know AKIRA or to get excited about seeing it live action.

I've noticed a trend here... first we had Tobey Maguire get a live-action ROBOTECH movie moving forward, attached to produce and star, and now his buddy Leonardo DiCaprio is doing the same for AKIRA. Some friendly competition maybe? Or maybe this is just the ***** that greases their geek-wheels.

Ruairi Robinson, who did that awesome 3-D animated short film FIFTY PERCENT GREY, will make his feature debut directing the project, which was pitched as a two-part epic.

The Hollywood Reporter story doesn't mention DiCaprio doing anything other than producing via Appian Way banner, but I have it on good authority that he is also set to star as the lead, Kaneda.

Source: Akira Roles Revealed:Ain't it Cool News

Can we get some DiCaprio/Kaneda side-by-sides. I can't make any at work.

Is this for real? Because if it is that would be the greatest thing ever. If not, then you can Kiss my ass.

Some like the idea, others don't. I for one think it'll be interesting. The cast so far is great.

Whether this will be good or not is kinda iffy IMO but if nothing else it will be amusing.

they should stick to the script of the anime, changing anything and applying it to "real world" or w/e is dumb, if your going to change certain things why even call it Akira?

and they better have that badass gang fight with the clowns in the beginning or im walking out

I think that most people here would prefer the manga to be the source of the story (though I haven't read it, I do admit), rather than the animated movie, given that the latter was made when the manga was halfway through its run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"