Alex Garland Directional Debut "Ex Machina"

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
Ex Machina
28 Days Later writer Alex Garland is gearing up to make his directorial debut with the indie robot thriller Ex Machina.DNA Films, which has collaborated with Garland on a number of films including Dredd, Never Let Me Go and his breakout 28 Days Later, is onboard to produce alongside Scott Rudin and Eli Bush.

Garland wrote the screenplay for Ex Machina, which centers on a billionaire programmer who handpicks a young employee to spend a week at his remote estate and participate in a test involving his latest invention: an artificially intelligent female robot.
DNA Films’ Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich also are producing and are eyeing a summer or fall shoot for the film and a budget of about $15 million.
Meanwhile, Benderspink is developing a different project also titled Ex Machina, about a superhero who decides to better use his power by becoming the mayor of New York. That project is in early development.
Garland also wrote the novel The Beach, which was turned into a film directed by Danny Boyle.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alex-garland-make-directorial-debut-429708

That other "Ex Machina" is an adaptation of the Brian K Vaughan comic of the same name.

I thought that's what this thread was for.

Garland's project sounds promising too though.

That other "Ex Machina" is an adaptation of the Brian K Vaughan comic of the same name.

Yeah... I came in expecting that too!

Yeah totally got my hopes up for that.

exmachina_vol1_hc.jpg

Hmm you'd think the comic creator would a have a copyright on "ex machina"? Seeing as it's not the more common term "deus ex machina". Not to mention i believe the comic was picked up for a film adaptation?

Last edited:
Maybe not because not alot of people know about the comic. It's a bit like how The Avengers comic was renamed 'Steed and Peel' even though they were around first (and are generally cooler :cwink:)

I'm looking forward to this. 28 days later only is enough reason to give this a go.

http://www.thewrap.com/deal-central...udins-indie-thriller-ex-machina-exclusive-845
Producer Scott Rudin is turning to a pair of recent collaborators to topline the indie robot thriller “Ex Machina,” as rising stars Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson are poised to join Alex Garland’s directorial debut.

Rudin and Eli Bush are producing with DNA Films’ Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich.

Garland (“28 Days Later”) wrote the script, which follows a billionaire programmer who handpicks a young employee to spend a week at his remote estate and participate in a test involving his latest invention – an artificially intelligent female robot.

While Isaac’s reps had no comment, sources tell TheWrap that the “Drive” star is nearing a deal to play the billionaire, while Gleeson is confirmed to be in talks for the role of his employee.

Several up-and-coming young actresses are being considered for the coveted female role, including Felicity Jones and Alicia Vikander.

Oscar Isaac is a great choice. You won't know what he's up to.

An adaptation of the comic would've been great; personally I think it'd work better as a TV series.

Looking forward to this though solely because of Garland; I love 28 Days Later and Sunshine (even their 3rd acts!), and Never Let Me Go I think is underrated.

yeah the ex machina comic could never work on film it has a very episodic format

Why is y'all sleeping on the trailer?!

Goddamn.

[YT]s-HiQ9K2uf4[/YT]

This looks very interesting.

Just caught the trailer for this. Looks pretty cool.

A few posters for the movie.

3DrK7yT.jpg

8fgl8PY.jpg

8oCwN0Q.jpg

I have to say this looks REALLY good LOVE the FX used to make Eva wow top notch work

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"