Alex Garland's Civil War

I understand and respect his decision, but it ****ing sucks.

Was it me or did he say that before he signed on Civil War? I swear I remember hearing this before so it doesn't come as a surprise.

I wanted a CBM directed by him. :o

Was it me or did he say that before he signed on Civil War? I swear I remember hearing this before so it doesn't come as a surprise.

Correct. This is not the first time he's said this.

...seeing this tonite.

But what kind of moviegover are you?

4e6cedc6e3739041b4032ebabc7eac7a35b10a74.pnj

But what kind of moviegover are you?

4e6cedc6e3739041b4032ebabc7eac7a35b10a74.pnj
Committed, a little too committed.

My buddy here in Portland has the Regal thing, so he locks down IMAX early for us a lot. Plus, we have connections (try hard as well) at/with Cinema 21 and Hollywood Theater.

Committed, a little too committed.

My buddy here in Portland has the Regal thing, so he locks down IMAX early for us a lot. Plus, we have connections (try hard as well) at/with Cinema 21 and Hollywood Theater.
95e9443189fff0744fbdc637e25ddb2152fdac70.gif

Only negating a star for one 35mm rapid shot impossibility.

They were so on point up until that one instance near the end.

…so many haunting shots and ****ing crazily neat sequences, though. [4/5]

Definitely need a rewatch to let it settle more. Cailee and Kirsten were amazing.

Last edited:
Only negating a star for one 35mm rapid shot impossibility.

They were so on point up until that one instance near the end.

What do you mean rapid shot? like in the movie or how they made the movie?

Well, Alex superimposes the 35mm (Cailee) [Nikon FE2, an equivalent to my Canon AE-1] and DSLR (Kirsten) shots into the film when they shoot photos... and a lot of little physical motions with the cameras are all on point.

BUT, there's a spoiler-y sequence near the end that happens within 2-3 seconds and Alex shows 4 b&w 35mm shots to express said moment

Yet... the camera nerd in me grated up against it because said character wouldn't have been able to get 4, let lone 2, 35mm shots within said timeframe.

HUGE NITPICK, but they were so good up until then.

Well, Alex superimposes the 35mm (Cailee) and DSLR (Kirsten) shots into the film when they shoot photos... and a lot of little physical motions with the cameras are all on point.

BUT, there's a spoiler-y sequence near the end that happens within 2-3 seconds and Alex shows 4 b&w 35mm shots to express said moment

Yet... the camera nerd in me grated up against it because said character wouldn't have been able to get 4, let lone 2, 35mm shots within said timeframe.

HUGE NITPICK, but they were so good up until then.

Ah I see. Yeah, I hate when they do sh** like that in movies.

So context Helen Lewis is a TERF journalist and Andy Ngo is an American right wing author.

I was very much looking forward to this a few months ago. Would be there day one. But between Garland's interview comments making me question his approach here, paying Andy Ngo for footage, and thanking someone transphobic enough even Ubisoft was like "nah, we're good" and removed her radio show from a game? I'm good. Disappointing.

Idk if watching the movie makes you a Nazi-supporting citizen so yeah, I'll still be seeing this film.

Idk if watching the movie makes you a Nazi-supporting citizen so yeah, I'll still be seeing this film.
Not shaming anyone for wanting to see what is apparently his last film, but just letting them know who helped make it as unfortunate as it is.

It's too bad this won't open over here until the 19th and I won't be able to see it until the 20th, I'm almost certain I'm going to see spoilers before that. The film is turning out to be such a powderkeg and there's already so much spirited conversation about it, that people tend to get very careless about spoilers.

Not shaming anyone for wanting to see what is apparently his last film, but just letting them know who helped make it as unfortunate as it is.

He's already onboard to co-direct another war film as of today so it's not his last film, but sure, I get it.

Last edited:
He's already onboard to c0-direct another war film as of today so it's not his last film, but sure, I get it.
Oh so it was an April Fools joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"