Alex Garland's Civil War

It took me like 5 minutes to realize that the other press journalist was Sonoya Mizuno. She's such a chameleon actor. Also it was great seeing a mini Devs reunion.

Will be seeing this tomorrow. Glad to hear it's a box office hit for A24.

This film is the closest thing to a present-day Apocalypse Now, especially in terms of how its narrative fully embodies a cultural period in America. It's an absolutely gut wrenching, tension filled, emotional cautionary tale. It's metaphorical, authentic and rich with subtext. I loved this film, and I think it could not have come out at a better time.

Very good film. Really puts you right in the thick of combat without giving some convoluted backstory of what led to war- which I like. Better to jump in head first than ruin the mystique of the how and why. It's a very well-directed film with some of the best sound design I've experienced. Seriously, you feel and hear every bullet fired, and that alone is worth seeing this in a theater.

All great performances. Kiersten Dunst was the standout. Jesse Plemons was amazing in a very tense, scene-stealing moment, and Nick Offerman playing the President of the United States is the complete opposite of what someone like Ron Swanson would do, so I dug that. Does this tell us anything new about warfare or being a reporter? No, and it doesn't look to take one side or the other, which I'm grateful for because if I want to lose a few brain cells or be lectured to about the state of the world from a talking mouthpiece, there's plenty of talking heads on CNN, Fox, and MSNBC who do that.

No, this is purely about a country divided, some wanting to stay out of it, and a few reporters looking to tell a story. I suppose. Dunst is the only one we get any sort of backstory or journalistic history on, since she's essentially the protagonist, but I do wish we'd learned a bit more about her travel companions. We learn enough about them, but I wish we'd gotten more. I'd probably give this a solid 8.5 out of 10.

And seriously, I do hope this gets some sort of award nomination for its sound design and mixing because it's just that good.

I saw it last night. I thought it was very good at what it set out to do, which as some of you have already said is basically to be a contemporary Apocalypse Now, only in this case we only know minimal information about the bigger picture due to it being a fictional conflict. Kirsten Dunst gave one of the best performances I've seen from her, and I thought the rest of the press crew (Moura, Spaeny, Henderson) were all good as well but Jesse Plemons was easily the most memorable character in the movie. I did find myself wishing we knew more about how the conflict all went down and how each faction of the country allied against each other but it's apparent that it wasn't the point of the movie.

Conflicted about this one. I don’t need everything explained to me in movies but I do need more context than just a few lines of dialogue. At least the perspective is from journalists and not military personnel so it adds more tension throughout. Unfortunately it all feels rather hallow. Not bad, but not great either.

Overall a 6/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"