Alex Proyas to Direct Paradise Lost

^Yep, not sure if the whole movie is motion capture, but I know at least 80% of it is, so no way this is getting into cinema's before 2014.

http://www.slashfilm.com/paradise-lost-shoots-june-bradley-cooper/

‘Paradise Lost’ Could Shoot in June, Says Bradley Cooper

Posted on Friday, January 27th, 2012 by Russ Fischer
Bradley-Cooper1-550x326.jpg

Several studios have been actively trimming and shedding projects over the past year. Universal cut loose a handful of board game movies (Ouija, Monopoly, etc.) and scrapped Guillermo del Toro’s At the Mountains of Madness, while Warner Bros. has paused or scrapped films like Akira, Arthur & Lancelot and Paradise Lost.

That last one is to be directed by Alex Proyas as a big-budget re-imagining of the war in heaven that follows the fall of Lucifer, as told in Milton‘s epic poem Paradise Lost. We know that the plan for the film involves a relatively short live-action shoot in Australia, which will then be followed by a year of intense post-production in which the film’s big aerial battle sequences will be brought to life. Bradley Cooper is on board to play Lucifer.

In December Legendary Entertainment pulled back plans to shoot the film early this year, as the budget was pushing north of $120m. The idea was to rework the script a bit so that the cost could be brought back down to earth. Now Bradley Cooper suggests that process was successful, as he thinks the film could shoot by this summer.

The Playlist spoke to Cooper at Sundance, where he was promoting his film The Words. (Germain reviewed The Words here.) And while Cooper didn’t have too much to say about Paradise Lost, he says that it is paused rather than killed, and that it could shoot this summer.
We’re going to hopefully start in June. Everything’s going great. I mean, nothing’s done until we’re up and shooting.
That’s a pretty safe disclaimer at the end, but that lack of certainty is the case for every movie that ever tries to move from development to production — it isn’t real until the cameras roll.

We’ll see what happens with Paradise Lost when it finally does shoot. The cast was set to include Benjamin Walker, Casey Affleck, Djimon Housou, Diego Boneta, Camilla Belle, Sam Reid, Rufus Sewell and Callan McAuliffe, and I hope that collection of talent is still in play when the movie rolls, whenever that happens to be.

its a business. i understand Legendary. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

in some years the movie will be made.

We've been seeing this and we are going to see this more. Big studios are going to be more reluctant in shelling out for pictures and projects like this. Look what happened to the Dark Tower series which also fell apart.

What did MacGruber say, "The game has changed. But the players are the same!"

i still say it is a miracle Zack Snyder was able to make watchmen rated r with a 150 million budget with no big name actors

They're scared to take risks unless they know they'll make their bank back. I'm sure this would have been a massive blockbuster, especially considering the story is so well known, but they got scared.

was there any info what kind of technology they would have to use? motion capture?

I hve this feeling that there just seems to be more then the budget issue especially if the rumors are true of the movie cotsing 120 million.
Seriously , WB is losing it's cool over that amount :huh:
It doesn't make sense especially when you look at various other movies that WB has greenlit with much higher budgets.
Even if WB has had a rough year at the BO , they still aret pretty lenient when it comes to budgets.

Edit :
Also small nitpich but i really hate it when there never really is a clear picture as to why certain projects fall apart.
For some reason the press just announces news and no real concrete inside info. Is it that difficult to do some journalistic digging.
For example look at the report of CHUD when Clash of the Titans came out. Although it doesn't explain what wht the movie changed , they did gave a pretty detailed report on just HOW much the movie had changed.

Last edited:
i still say it is a miracle Zack Snyder was able to make watchmen rated r with a 150 million budget with no big name actors
More like great fortune. 300 doing as big as it did at the box office and becoming a pop culture sensation were great contributors of goodwill to Zack's credit. With the notoriety of the Watchmen story, WB felt confident he would be a nice blend of the fanboy sensibilities needed to please the core audience, but have enough mainstream acuity to know what the larger demographic wants in a comic book film.

Often in Hollywood you need your breakout film to get to pull off these (expensive) passion projects. It makes sense, as hundreds and millions of dollars are at stake. It's not demanding to ask a director earns that trust.

I hve this feeling that there just seems to be more then the budget issue especially if the rumors are true of the movie cotsing 120 million.
Seriously , WB is losing it's cool over that amount :huh:
It doesn't make sense especially when you look at various other movies that WB has greenlit with much higher budgets.
Even if WB has had a rough year at the BO , they still aret pretty lenient when it comes to budgets.
...which?

Edit :
Also small nitpich but i really hate it when there never really is a clear picture as to why certain projects fall apart.
For some reason the press just announces news and no real concrete inside info. Is it that difficult to do some journalistic digging.
For example look at the report of CHUD when Clash of the Titans came out. Although it doesn't explain what wht the movie changed , they did gave a pretty detailed report on just HOW much the movie had changed.
i like when when we get behind the scenes reports from people with a track record. for example i belive a lot from Devin Faraci. and i belive a lot from thinkmcflythink for superman.

I don't understand why WB green light garbage like Green Lantern and give it a 200 million + budget, but not this.

you are comparing a movie that you know was bad because it was finished and realesed to a movie that only has concept art and actors cast. very different. maybe this movie would be an even bigger bomb.

studios are in a different position then us. we see the finished movie in the theater. they need to greenlight movies based on scrips on paper,concept art and actors without make up.

Really gutted this now wont see the light of day, loved the cast, am a fan of Proyas and the story is great. Why greenlight so many **** movies and then let this fall by the wayside? I just dont get it.

which movies did they greenlight?

i think the reason some dont understand Legendary's decision is because some belive the BoxOfficeMojo budget's. for example Immortals budget was WAAAY more expensive . 85 millions? muhahahah please. since Legendary knows how expensive movies are they are afraid that there is no chance making a big profit

which movies did they greenlight?

i think the reason some dont understand Legendary's decision is because some belive the BoxOfficeMojo budget's. for example Immortals budget was WAAAY more expensive . 85 millions? muhahahah please. since Legendary knows how expensive movies are they are afraid that there is no chance making a big profit

Stuff like the stupid spoof movies that come out or things like Skyline, Battle:LA, etc, things we have seen a thousand times before and dont need to see again.

someone needs to go to prison for Skyline and battle:LA

I know a better punishment... force them to watch their own movies on repeat for all eternity.

you are comparing a movie that you know was bad because it was finished and realesed to a movie that only has concept art and actors cast. very different. maybe this movie would be an even bigger bomb.

studios are in a different position then us. we see the finished movie in the theater. they need to greenlight movies based on scrips on paper,concept art and actors without make up.

My point is, GL was just as much a risk, maybe more so because of the bigger budget, than this movie.

Paradise Lost is kind of a hard beast to adapt, so I can understand why this project is so difficult to get off the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"