Alien: Romulus (2024)

Luigi

Futurism
Reaction score
‘Alien’ Movie In Works With Fede Alvarez Directing For Hulu – Deadline

Don’t Breathe filmmaker Fede Alvarez is set to write and helm an original Alien movie for 20th Century studios.

Alvarez will direct the movie for Hulu as part of 20th’s deal to provide 10 pics a year to the Disney owned OTT service. Alvarez’s pitch is reportedly completely separate from the previous movies, Deadline has confirmed.

Ridley Scott, who directed the 1979 original and two millennial editions, will produce through his Scott Free banner.

Hopefully one of these can match the quality of the original films and get the series back to the level it should be at.

Adaptation of Alien Isolation starring Jane Levy. Let's go!

Hopefully this will be more in line with the first than almost any movie post Aliens. Keep it simple. Please no more focus on the androids.

Don't Breathe had the claustrophobic tension similar to the first Alien so I could see this being a good fit.

Good director choice. I hope this isn't just doing the first movie again though.

It is nice to think they’re going more horror than action sci fi. I’m intrigued

I'm all for Alien being a smaller budget thing being handed to a different director doing their own thing. Streaming release is disappointing though, on the off chance it's good.

An Alien movie should be seen on the big screen

I really hope this is more in line with alien 1979. I have never felt that any of the sequels/prequels were able to recapture the same tone/feeling of the original and veered way too far into the sci fi/adventure category. The original alien (which is my favourite movie of all time) is a disturbing, claustrophobic, anxiety inducing nightmare in space and I hope to see something like that again.

It would be awesome if this movie is set during the 57 years when Ripley is still missing. I find the idea that she is still out there somewhere, drifting through space with a chance of never being found to be really creepy and intriguing and I hope they explore that time frame more.

Fede Alvarez is definitely talented enough to pull this off and I don't see how you could sink this franchise any lower after Covenant, but my expectations are definitely tempered for now.

Hopefully they do try to recapture the feel of the first movie and make the Xenomorphs actually feel scary again, but man this going straight to streaming like Prey doesn't feel me with a whole lot of confidence.

Maybe it can at least turn out to be decent which I will take since IMO we haven't had a decent Alien film in a very long time and I'm someone who actually enjoys Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection.

It'll be nice to get away from the tiresome prequel material. The mysterious sights in Alien have gained nothing for all the convoluted backstory Ridley Scott added later. I think he got preoccupied with lore. Fresh eyes are good. I like that the first four are very different.

Fede Alvarez is definitely talented enough to pull this off and I don't see how you could sink this franchise any lower after Covenant, but my expectations are definitely tempered for now.

Hopefully they do try to recapture the feel of the first movie and make the Xenomorphs actually feel scary again, but man this going straight to streaming like Prey doesn't feel me with a whole lot of confidence.

Maybe it can at least turn out to be decent which I will take since IMO we haven't had a decent Alien film in a very long time and I'm someone who actually enjoys Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection.

As controversial as it is, I place Alien 3 and Resurrection over Aliens. Yes they have flaws but they are much more in line with the tone of the original IMO. I actually think Resurrection is massively underrated and is so much fun with some great ideas and a great performance from Sigourney. It at least understood the movie was supposed to be disturbing and terrifying and I loved that it was set completely in space.

I know it is technically a great movie and I have a lot of respect for James Cameron trying something different but I have just never been a fan of Aliens, it’s so boring, generic and dull to me and it’s like all the things I loved about the original were stripped away. I also can’t stand Newt and I think one of the best decisions Fincher made was killing her off in Alien 3 to further Ripley’s story.

I don't agree with this person on most of those points, but it was such a refreshing change of pace from the usual, that I felt the need to like their post. :smgs:

I dunno at this point. Alien is in a very similar place as Terminator to me right now. Once again, no longer theatrically viable, so it's going straight to Hulu.

As controversial as it is, I place Alien 3 and Resurrection over Aliens. Yes they have flaws but they are much more in line with the tone of the original IMO. I actually think Resurrection is massively underrated and is so much fun with some great ideas and a great performance from Sigourney. It at least understood the movie was supposed to be disturbing and terrifying and I loved that it was set completely in space.

I know it is technically a great movie and I have a lot of respect for James Cameron trying something different but I have just never been a fan of Aliens, it’s so boring, generic and dull to me and it’s like all the things I loved about the original were stripped away. I also can’t stand Newt and I think one of the best decisions Fincher made was killing her off in Alien 3 to further Ripley’s story.

Took everything in me to not vomit at this.

Took everything in me to not vomit at this.

Hey I’m not trying to upset anyone or trash the movie it’s just my least favourite for reasons that I can absolutely understand are not the norm among alien fans. It’s really just down to my personal taste, I’m not saying 3 & resurrection are amazing movies by any means, I just find more enjoyment in them.

None of Fede Alvarez work has really impressed me. Not sure what he can bring to the Alien franchise that is new or interesting. Noah Hawley's show is reportedly exploring the corporation vs workers theme from the first two movies.

Last edited:
I also enjoy 3 (Assembly Cut especially) and Resurrection a great deal, and while I don't dislike Newt or Hicks by any means, I also never saw them as being these indispensable characters who were on the level of Ripley herself.

The films up til that point are about Ripley and how the experiences in each film affect and relate to her, including that budding family dynamic between her, Newt and Hicks. But their abrupt, senseless deaths and how it affected Ripley was also an experience that had just as much validity in being explored. And I think they covered it pretty well.

It's always annoyed me slightly that their deaths are always used as a stick with which to beat down that third movie. If you hate the third movie for other reasons, then that's fine and totally legitimate. Hicks and Newt dying within the first ten minutes, however, I've just never understood as being a valid criticism.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"