am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Poetic Chaos said:
Bale nailed Bruce
Keaton nailed Batman
Bale nailed Bruce AND Batman! Keaton just nailed Batman.

Let's face it, Batman (1989) was a good movie, I loved it and still think it has it's place as one of the best comic movies ever! Don't get me wrong, I have criticised Jack as the Joker somewhere else in these boards but still think that it was that film that provided the bridge between Donner's Superman and Raimi's Spiderman. I thought that Keaton gave a good performance as the Bat and took the character seriously enough (even if he was too short) and that Jack gave one of the best performances of his career as the Joker, but it wasn't the Joker or the Batman that we all want to see. In fact, Bale's Batman was great but I still don't see the Batman on screen that I love from the comics, and Nolan has borrowed from Burton's batman (the latex costume) enough that we should still respect the fact that Burton did a good job, in fact his take on the Penguin and Catwoman for Batman Returns was another masterstroke even though they never resembled our favourite comic interpretations. Let's face it, how many writers and artists have had their own take on these characters in Graphic Novels that are still really good but don't resemble the traditional look, as far as I am concerned as long as we don't get a Two Face like Tommy Lee Jones' I am happy!! In essence Jack had presence as the Joker but essentially Jack Nicholson is too big a name, and all you could see was Jack not the Joker when watching Batman (1989). I did read somewhere that apparently he thinks that his role as the Joker was his best and apparently watches it all the time!!!

DID tobey nail spiderman???

Hmmm maybe a subject for another thread but interesting question. I think he had the right appeal to play Peter in Raimi's version of the character, but Spidey's full face mask means that as long as the costume looks good and the poses are right then it would be kinda OK anyway. My only complaint was that there wasn't nearly enough wisecracking for me, which Spidey in the comics has in abundance, not that it is Mr Maguires fault!!! But I see your point, we will never see the versions of these characters in their true essence and I understand that. Good comment though!! It took me ages to write that last comment and you blew it apart with one sentence....Respect!!!

I heard long while ago that when Nicholson struck his deal with WB it not only paid him handsomly for the role but he also has gotten a cut of the profits from every Batman movie since. Has anyone else heard this? I could've just a had a drunken comic book movie convo with someone at the bar with someone making s*** up. This actually happens quite often.

bunk said:
I heard long while ago that when Nicholson struck his deal with WB it not only paid him handsomly for the role but he also has gotten a cut of the profits from every Batman movie since. Has anyone else heard this? I could've just a had a drunken comic book movie convo with someone at the bar with someone making s*** up. This actually happens quite often.

I remember reading that he had a juicy deal for B89, but not for the other ones....

Naite22 said:
Bale nailed Bruce AND Batman! Keaton just nailed Batman.

I think Keaton nailed the tormented Bruce Wayne, just not the playboy side.

what is a playboy? people mention that all the time and I don't understand what a playboy is. the magazine?

Is it someone who charms women into his bed to play? I don't get it.

Keaton was awesome for what the Burton films represented.
Bale was awesome too. Can't wait for the sequel!
Nicholson was great as The Joker but a new update for the sequel is a good thing. Was I the only one who loved the twist towards the end BMBegins where Als Ral Guhl was his mentor the whole time. He even looked like the comics version.

Keaton was awesome for what the Burton films represented.
Bale was awesome too. Can't wait for the sequel!
Nicholson was great as The Joker but a new update for the sequel is a good thing. Was I the only one who loved the twist towards the end BMBegins where Als Ral Guhl was his mentor the whole time. He even looked like the comics version. :doom:

bunk said:

It's true, I saw it on his E! True Hollywood Story. I know he got a cut of the profits from the 1st film. I'm not sure about getting paid from the other movies though.

rashad said:
It's true, I saw it on his E! True Hollywood Story. I know he got a cut of the profits from the 1st film. I'm not sure about getting paid from the other movies though.

Doesn't matter, I think having earned approximately $130 million from the first one should have been enough.

I was pretty young when Burton's Batman came out. I did at that time liked the Joker and thought he was a cool character. As I have gotten older and wiser. I have realized that it wasn't really the Joker I would want in a Batman film. The Joker that Ledger is going to be playing in The Dark Knight is going to be probably beyond my expectations. I have so much faith in Nolan and Ledger that Heath can pull of the Joker that we know in the comics. I would bet my house and cars on it. I have that much faith in those two.

Hate to say it but...yeah, you are the only one who thinks that. Jack kicked ass.

I don't think Nicholson's 'Joker' is anything more than Nicholson doing his no-effort usual shtick. He basically walked through the part and collected a check. There were a mere handful of scenes that actually worked for me... the rest ... well....

And, as much as I like the animated Batman series. That Joker was OK. Not the ultimate Joker. I believe they toned it down a bit for theyounger viewers.

The Joker I want to see is actually psychotic killer and not so much a 'funnyman'. In fact, I would be happy if he made no jokes at all. I've never seen the character as a comedian. I've always thought of the Joker as a wildcard in that you never know from moment to moment what he's going to do.

DavidTyler said:
I don't think Nicholson's 'Joker' is anything more than Nicholson doing his no-effort usual shtick. He basically walked through the part and collected a check. There were a mere handful of scenes that actually worked for me... the rest ... well....

And, as much as I like the animated Batman series. That Joker was OK. Not the ultimate Joker. I believe they toned it down a bit for theyounger viewers.

The Joker I want to see is actually psychotic killer and not so much a 'funnyman'. In fact, I would be happy if he made no jokes at all. I've never seen the character as a comedian. I've always thought of the Joker as a wildcard in that you never know from moment to moment what he's going to do.

That explains your opinion on Nicholson.

DavidTyler said:

Well...
your wrong

Nicholson rocked as the Joker. Loved every second of him.

Well Nicholson was just Nicholson under a make-up but he was cool in the movie and I like watching his movies.

You can't be 'just' Jack. When you're Jack you're... JACK!!!!!

Rynan said:
Well...
your wrong

You're entitled to you opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

BTW
I've been reading Batman for several decades and have seen him depicted several ways. My favourite is when he's not played for laughs. His original incarnation was as a murderous psycho. It was during the 50's and 60's that the humour thing was made the focus of the character.

Personally, I find Jack's portrayal of The Joker to be rather boring. I have always seen the Joker as being an evil person, who IS crazy... not ACTING crazy. Jack never seemed to be crazy at all, just a noisy, dancing and really boring character. Then again if they took the whole Prince music dancing scene out of that movie, I would have enjoyed his "evilness" a little bit more...
By the way, I love Jack as an actor, in everything that wasn't Anger Management and few others, he was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"