Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

I guess it depends on where you look. I only hear about racist things from the showrunners these days. It seems like they are quicker to call racist or sexist when their content is being criticized. All the criticism I have seen is from the adaptation they are doing. Mostly with all the new characters they are using, or how they changed existing ones.
I think the more the actors and showrunners speak about the project the worse they are making it for themselves. Just let the actors speak about their characters and motivations. We don't need them to tell us how life altering or whatever they are feeling. I am not watching for the actors I am watching because I want to see some Tolkien fantasy. The show should just put out the teasers and trailer footage and let us judge the content we see. But what they really want is to have their show be critically excepted, before it comes out, by everyone. That will never happen. Put out your content then let it stand on its quality. Don't start attacking the consumers before you release your product, that is business 101.
I'm not super hyped for this show, but I am happy they have enough money to tell bigots to go **** themselves. If you aren't a bigot, then them telling bigots to go to hell, shouldn't bother you one iota.

It's a show. There are plenty of television shows. I'll take the social concern any day of the week, because it's what actually matters. But then again, I have empathy, and would never tell an actor to not say how they feel about being abused, because it makes POS uncomfortable.

Well I wanted to link the time article, but you have to log in to read it so this was the first one that came up with some of the quotes from the time article.

Well I wanted to link the time article, but you have to log in to read it so this was the first one that came up with some of the quotes from the time article.
So I went and found the Time article. Yeah, a bit of a different headline...

Considering your thoughts on actors and producers speaking out against bigotry, I can see how you missed the difference.

So I went and found the Time article. Yeah, a bit of a different headline...

Considering your thoughts on actors and producers speaking out against bigotry, I can see how you missed the difference.

yup when I click on it I have to sign in to read it. I am glad you are here to tell me my thoughts. I am referring to the quote that they are up for criticism not racism. I guess next time I will just copy and paste the quotes since there are no no sites, lol.

This is their promotional push for the show that is coming out. I won't be judging the show on the cast and crews experience making it. I am looking at the content. Are you going to be objective when the show comes out or are you more inclined now to like it, because of the racism? There is no wrong answer, just an honest question. Does the cast and crew shedding light on racism make you more inclined to like the show?
For me it sucks they have to deal with it, but I am still judging the show on the content they put out, not the other stuff. I can be objective.

I'd be lying if I said chud reaction didn't play a role in a few pieces of media I checked out. Didn't really affect how much I enjoyed it though.

Though it does beg the question, why even bring it up?

yup when I click on it I have to sign in to read it. I am glad you are here to tell me my thoughts. I am referring to the quote that they are up for criticism not racism. I guess next time I will just copy and paste the quotes since there are no no sites, lol.

This is their promotional push for the show that is coming out. I won't be judging the show on the cast and crews experience making it. I am looking at the content. Are you going to be objective when the show comes out or are you more inclined now to like it, because of the racism? There is no wrong answer, just an honest question. Does the cast and crew shedding light on racism make you more inclined to like the show?
For me it sucks they have to deal with it, but I am still judging the show on the content they put out, not the other stuff. I can be objective.
I've complained about what I've seen for this show multiple times. What does that have to do with championing the idea that cast and crew shouldn't talk about the harassment they received? Well documented harassment, that's pretty blatant.

Your total argument is nonsensical, and reads as a deflection. The article was in Time of all places. Do you know what Time magazine is? Of course they'd talk about that in Time.Cast and crew talk about their experiencing making film/television all the time and it does drum up interest. Human interest stories are big, and it's one of the fun things about conventions. Behind the scene stories and the relationships these people have developed. It's why the Avengers cast went everywhere promoting the films. Not to mention the idea that cast and crew can't sell something is just 100% obviously wrong.

Also, what exactly is "objectivity" when it comes to judging your own feelings about art/entertainment? This ain't math, it's all subjective. This is like saying that POC or a member of the LGBTQIA+ can't be "objective" if they feel represented by art or an artist. The idea is for the art/entertainment to Illicit emotion, and how people react is going to be different. Beccause people are different.

Last edited:
Also, what exactly is "objectivity" when it comes to judging your own feelings about art/entertainment? This ain't math, it's all subjective. This is like saying that POC or a member of the LGBTQIA+ can't be "objective" if they feel represented by art or an artist. The idea is for the art/entertainment to Illicit emotion, and how people react is going to be different. Beccause people are different.
The way I am using the term objectivity is not letting things outside the show affect my opinion of it. I will let it stand on its quality overall. So until it comes out I have to wait and see if it is worth watching the planned seasons. I try to give 1 or 2 episodes to hook me, and 1 season to see if I am interested to see how the story unfolds.

I guess it depends on where you look. I only hear about racist things from the showrunners these days. It seems like they are quicker to call racist or sexist when their content is being criticized. All the criticism I have seen is from the adaptation they are doing. Mostly with all the new characters they are using, or how they changed existing ones.
I think the more the actors and showrunners speak about the project the worse they are making it for themselves. Just let the actors speak about their characters and motivations. We don't need them to tell us how life altering or whatever they are feeling. I am not watching for the actors I am watching because I want to see some Tolkien fantasy. The show should just put out the teasers and trailer footage and let us judge the content we see. But what they really want is to have their show be critically excepted, before it comes out, by everyone. That will never happen. Put out your content then let it stand on its quality. Don't start attacking the consumers before you release your product, that is business 101.

There absolutely has been a ton of racist, bigoted, narrow-minded criticism from a slew of people out there acting like they own the rights to Tolkien's world. These people haven't seen the show and have littered YouTube, Twitter and so on with their ignorant and frankly pathetic remarks about how the show has gone "woke," how it is an abomination because of the actor playing Arondir, the actress playing Disa, etc. The show could be bad but these trolls don't even really care if it is bad or good, they are just determined to spew their hate. The showrunners and other people in the show absolutely have the right to put these orcs in their place when they attack the POC involved with the show.

The way I am using the term objectivity is not letting things outside the show affect my opinion of it. I will let it stand on its quality overall. So until it comes out I have to wait and see if it is worth watching the planned seasons. I try to give 1 or 2 episodes to hook me, and 1 season to see if I am interested to see how the story unfolds.
You do understand an opinion lacks objectivity in concept right? You're using the word "objectivity' incorrectly.

You posted a bigoted article, from a bigoted site. Did you expect them to just admit they are so?

You do understand an opinion lacks objectivity in concept right? You're using the word "objectivity' incorrectly.

You posted a bigoted article, from a bigoted site. Did you expect them to just admit they are so?
This is from dictionary.com is that site ok or do I need to use something else? This was rhetorical. Like I said before I don't link Time because it doesn't open for me, without signing in and I am not signing in to view an article. So I just posted something that had the same quotes, no idea about its merit. I didn't realize people can't view certain pages without ciphering through nonsense. Even if the article is nonsense the quotes are still the same, at least the one I am talking about.

If you want to be petty on my usage of a word then lets be petty. This is from dictionary.com, paraphased
In everyday life, your objective opinion is the one that sets aside your subjective preferences or feelings about something and instead assesses it based on facts and reality.
How to use objective
Use objective when you’re talking about something—like an assessment, decision, or report—that’s unbiased and based solely on the observable or verifiable facts.

Examples of objective used in a sentence
  • Although my objective assessment is that the book is poorly written, I can’t help but love its enemies-to-friends plotline.
  • The first part of the assignment is an objective analysis of the data; the second part is an essay on your subjective reaction to it.

This is from dictionary.com is that site ok or do I need to use something else? This was rhetorical. Like I said before I don't link Time because it doesn't open for me, without signing in and I am not signing in to view an article. So I just posted something that had the same quotes, no idea about its merit. I didn't realize people can't view certain pages without ciphering through nonsense. Even if the article is nonsense the quotes are still the same, at least the one I am talking about.

If you want to be petty on my usage of a word then lets be petty. This is from dictionary.com, paraphased
In everyday life, your objective opinion is the one that sets aside your subjective preferences or feelings about something and instead assesses it based on facts and reality.
How to use objective
Use objective when you’re talking about something—like an assessment, decision, or report—that’s unbiased and based solely on the observable or verifiable facts.

Examples of objective used in a sentence
  • Although my objective assessment is that the book is poorly written, I can’t help but love its enemies-to-friends plotline.
  • The first part of the assignment is an objective analysis of the data; the second part is an essay on your subjective reaction to it.
By their very nature, an opinion is subjective.

Definition of opinion | Dictionary.com
noun
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
the formal expression of a professional judgment:to ask for a second medical opinion.
Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.:to forfeit someone's good opinion.
Archaic. a favorable estimate; esteem:I haven't much of an opinion of him.

The definition of objective from Oxford Languages:

(of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
"historians try to be objective and impartial"

Your opinion of a television show is by it's nature, subjective. I know the last 7 years have helped blur the concepts of opinion and fact, but that doesn't change what they are.

Unless you are going to be reviewing stuff like how long certain characters are on screen, how many lines lines of dialogue, etc. There is no "objective" idea of what qualifies as a good performance, a well done fight scene, etc.

By their very nature, an opinion is subjective.

Definition of opinion | Dictionary.com

The definition of objective from Oxford Languages:

Your opinion of a television show is by it's nature, subjective. I know the last 7 years have helped blur the concepts of opinion and fact, but that doesn't change what they are.

Unless you are going to be reviewing stuff like how long certain characters are on screen, how many lines lines of dialogue, etc. There is no "objective" idea of what qualifies as a good performance, a well done fight scene, etc.
Ah, I stand corrected. I am in fact using it wrong. I would still like to not be influenced by anything external when I form my opinion of the show. I do appreciate the civil discourse as always.

Ah, I stand corrected. I am in fact using it wrong. I would still like to not be influenced by anything external when I form my opinion of the show. I do appreciate the civil discourse as always.

That's kind of impossible. Even a totally 100% unique show is not judged in a complete vacuum. What you like has been informed by external events.

Frankly, trying to call your opinion "objective" is to define your opinion as the correct one, the superior one.

That's kind of impossible. Even a totally 100% unique show is not judged in a complete vacuum. What you like has been informed by external events.

Frankly, trying to call your opinion "objective" is to define your opinion as the correct one, the superior one.
Yeah I am talking about anything recent that has to do with the behind the scenes stuff of the show. I will form my opinion of the show as I watch it. Also you might have missed the back and forth in the previous page, we already established the whole objective thing. I already conceded to Darth's point on the usage of the word, so not sure if you saw that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"