Amazon's The Tick

Three episodes n and so happy for the show to return. Outside of the Netflix offerings from Marvel, and even then that's a mixed bag at this point, this is the best super hero series out there. I mean that. It's better than all the network offerings out there by a wide margin. Gonna space this out rather than binge it all at once.
I agree.

Got a few episodes left. Surprised more people aren't talking about this. For such short episodes they pack a lot in. Again... This is what a live action Venture Bros. would be, replete with the call backs to earlier episodes, surprising levels of characterizations all wrapped up in a love letter to the absurdities that abound in super hero stories. There's also not one false feeling performance in the whole thing which is a feat in itself seeing as how the tone can switch wildly from moment to moment.

As a longtime fan of the original animated series and the comics, I really like what this show brought to the table. And I felt like it got consistently better as it went along and the world started to open up.

Overkill ultimately became one of my favorite characters. Ben Edlund is great at sending up the brooding loner dark vigilante bad guys. I think the comparison to Venture Bros. is very apt. It does have similar sensibilities. Overall, it felt like a fun slightly comedic reinvention of modern cinematic superhero origin stories. Like it didn't step over the line into outright parody. More like it was having fun with those ideas and peppering in some more comedic things in there.

Also how can you not love Danger Boat?

A lot of interesting possibilities for season 2. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe it could turn out that Superian or AEGIS are in fact the real bad guys. Or at least not quite so benevolent as they appear.

Also Arthur's stepfather.

I guess my one criticism is that I think they went a bit overboard with Dot to make sure the one significant female character had agency in the plot. I guess my criticism isn't that they had her becoming so important and going on the missions, but that was after she was so dismissive of Arthur and his beliefs. She was basically reinforcing the idea that he was crazy and didn't want to let him forge his own path, and she was never all that apologetic about it. I don't feel she really redeemed herself before she made that transition. At least something like, "Sorry I didn't believe you Arthur. You're actually pretty amazing." Something like that would've been nice.

I kind of hope they avoid making Dot into a superhero as well, but we shall see.

Was it really so much that she was dismissive or was she being a protective sibling, looking out for a brother that even before he met the Tick and was living a mundane life, was barely holding it together emotionally?

Just watched the pilot!
Went from what felt like an interesting premise to the Watchmen then back to the Tick!
Not bad did struggle a bit until I watched what Arthur went through as a child!
Now let's see if I can watch more!

Where's the best place to get advice about Amazon Prime?

Was it really so much that she was dismissive or was she being a protective sibling, looking out for a brother that even before he met the Tick and was living a mundane life, was barely holding it together emotionally?

Yeah that was part of it, but she never really seemed to give him the benefit of the doubt until much later.

Just watched the pilot!
Went from what felt like an interesting premise to the Watchmen then back to the Tick!
Not bad did struggle a bit until I watched what Arthur went through as a child!
Now let's see if I can watch more!

Where's the best place to get advice about Amazon Prime?

Ask Alexa.

That was a bit of product placement that made me laugh.

Where do we see season two going?

Seems like AEGIS and Superian are the real bad guys and controlling the world like the Illuminati and we will get more of that. Also, more about Arthur's stepfather and his martial arts fighting skills. Secret retired ex-hero?

What characters do you want introduced in Season 2? This show could stand to have a few more female characters. Maybe American Maid or Captain Liberty. As a parody of both Captain America and Wonder Woman they'd be perfect.

Since Overkill promised Tick he wouldn't kill and kept that promise, even when no one was around...I think we will slowly start to see the Overkill persona go away and perhaps see Straight Shooter reemerge. I think Arthur, Tick and especially Dot will have an impact on him.

Is it just me or is the Tick talking like 60's Batman?!

Ah that's why he has bionic eyes!

Yeah there are definite similarities between the Tick and Adam West Batman.

What characters do you want introduced in Season 2? This show could stand to have a few more female characters. Maybe American Maid or Captain Liberty. As a parody of both Captain America and Wonder Woman they'd be perfect.

Agreed. And I also think we'll learn that Walter is a retired hero and his nerdy persona is just a Clark Kent routine.

I've met Peter S., such a charming and humble fellow. We got chatting about the weird and wonderful and unintentionally scary things we used to watch on TV growing up. It seemed we shared the same sense of hauntology and creeped-out stuff on the box.
He kindly left a voicemail message on the phone for me posing as Sir Paul McCartney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"