American Cosplay vs. Asian Cosplay

Arach Knight

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Girl
Reaction score
I do not know if you guys have ever heard of the seemingly infamous Youtube troll, "VeryProudToBeAsian" (or his many alt-accounts), but he/she is known for posting racist propaganda and general anti-western (read:anti-American) material. You can see one such video, below:

Racist Asian Propaganda
[YT]3RRDc8njvNs[/YT]

I decided to make my own cosplaying video, inspired in part by my preference for western comic books, but also because I view myself as a patriotic American. My video consists of female cosplayers. "Proud Asian" primarily assails the quality of western women, more so than western men, so I could not resist.

America, **** Yeah!
[YT]EG5J7YzzG0I[/YT]

I am hoping to hear everyone weigh in on the matter. Do you agree with this racist, disguised as a jingoist? Do you agree with my view that we don't need to cosplay as anime characters, because we have our own kick-ass culture? Or do you have some differing opinion?

I couldn't get through his entire video the English was so bad. I've seen both bad and good American anime cosplayers. Throwing up some bad pictures doesn't prove a point.

American cosplay FTW. Im sorry but half those asian girls looks creepy like little girls dressing ****ty. Its quite disturbing.

My weight on the matter? I think you're both ******ed.

as an asian, myself, i totally disagree with 'proudtobeasian' when he/she says that if you portray someone of a different race that it's racism. i wonder what they think about the hundreds, maybe thousands of Asians dressing up as Dante from Devil May Cry, Solid Snake and other Metal Gear characters as well as numerous Marvel and DC characters. racism isn't when you portray or praise a different race, racism is when you DEGRADE or DEFAME a certain race.

that being said, it makes you no better to say "American doesn't need anime cosplay". while it's not quite the same type or amount of intolerance that 'proudtobeasian' is displaying, it's still intolerance to a certain idea. no we don't NEED anime, but it should be accepted just like other types of cosplay. i would even argue that anime cosplay often looks better than American cosplay. this isn't ALWAYS the case, but there tends to be more quality and faithfulness with anime cosplayers than Marvel/DC cosplayers. either way, that's not really the issue at hand.

there shouldn't have to be American vs Asian cosplay...and just because someone starts something doesn't mean you should respond in kind. don't let him/her influence you to lower yourself to their level, rise above it.

Last edited:
@Tanin

I agree. He does have a habit of choosing some of the worst cosplayers rather than addressing the Americans that are more fit or more faithful with their costumes. It is not surprising. Everyone can be a bit bias when they are proving a point for which they are passionate.

@ batboy99

Interesting. I would imagine that it is the more subtle and delicate features of Asian women. You have full grown Asian women that still look like they are in high school because they do not exhibit the same signs of "maturity" that Westerners are used to observing (e.g. larger breasts with age).

@ Burai

I would not go as far as to call VeryProudToBeAsian a ******, but they are clearly a person with issues and a bone to pick. With that said, the ignorance of your response was rather unnecessary. I don't tear down Asians or their cosplay in order to make my point. Instead, I simply bring to light the fact that Americans excel at cosplaying our own characters.

@ DorkyFresh

I am not intolerant. It is not like I have an issue with Asians. I have a previous video which included two Americans of Asian descent, dressed as Batman and Wonder Woman. The video I posted here features an Asian dressed as Cassandra Cain. I am a rather proud American. I draw the line at people degrading our women, disrespecting our country, accusing us of racism and mocking our culture.

I think Americans have plenty to be proud of, including our own comic book.cosplay culture. Perhaps I don't have to respond to him, but there is a certain degree of sadness when Americans choose to be so passive and allow people to say whatever they feel. I know this has to be the geekiest manifestation of patriotism possible, but it is how I feel.

My older sister and her pals are into cosplay and go to Canadian cons. Whenever she brings back the pictures they're amazing. I mean seriously amazing. Not in a "oh well, this is good....for a westerner" manner. The thing to take from all this is that no one country does it better. You're going to find good or bad things all over.

In my journies across the internet, I've seen amazing comic book cosplay done by Westerners and even Europeans and it's spectacular. One of my favorites from recent memory was this gorgeous brunette dressed as Janet "the Wasp" VanDyne in her modern black and gold look. The one worn during her death. Anyways, the thing was amazing, and she actually used golden metallic pieces for the pieces.

I find the usage of racism to degrade the efforts of eager cosplayers is saddening. My thought: A good costume is a good costume, who cares where it came from.

My older sister and her pals are into cosplay and go to Canadian cons. Whenever she brings back the pictures they're amazing. I mean seriously amazing. Not in a "oh well, this is good....for a westerner" manner. The thing to take from all this is that no one country does it better. You're going to find good or bad things all over.

In my journies across the internet, I've seen amazing comic book cosplay done by Westerners and even Europeans and it's spectacular. One of my favorites from recent memory was this gorgeous brunette dressed as Janet "the Wasp" VanDyne in her modern black and gold look. The one worn during her death. Anyways, the thing was amazing, and she actually used golden metallic pieces for the pieces.

I find the usage of racism to degrade the efforts of eager cosplayers is saddening. My thought: A good costume is a good costume, who cares where it came from.

Very well put. Also, the cosplayer you mention is in my video. Her Deviant Art alias is "Riddle1." She is one of the best American cosplayers out there. Even better than Alisa Kiss (obviously my opinion). I agree that at the end of the day, race should not be a factor in cosplay, which is why my videos often feature people of different ethnicities, portraying traditionally white characters.

Oh she's in the vid? Lol, I really should've watched that first, but thanks for the name. I'll be looking up her work. :)

I find it insulting personally. Who Cares what race you are if your hero happens to be of another Creed?

I don't think the world will get to that point. Even though colonialism and diaspora has tossed the children of the world across the plains, people are still setting into this idea of sharing a world heritage. I suppose I can understand, since I take a certain amount of joy from my national identity. Still, it would perhaps be a simpler world if we could all embrace what ideas mean, rather than the color behind them.

the first video is so funny i cracked up

but the fact is that even if the maker was serious about this message, the logic is dismissibly poor. feeling any emotion other than pity and humor is a waste of brainpower.

I always felt that 'being proud to be an American' meant not dignifying anti-cultural sentiments with a response. That said...you're all equally silly. ;)

Aren't most anime character's made to look american/white. Naruto, ichigo, luffy, edward elric, trigun. THey never look japenese but this is my opnion of course.

I read that guy's profile. talk about racism! I don't know why that hypocrite veryproudtobeasian hasn't been banned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"