World An explanation of the bully in the diner scenes

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
I think many people don't understand the point of the scenes in Superman II - either version - where Clark encounters a bully in a diner.

The point of the scenes is to show that Clark is supposed to be Superman to right wrongs. Clark instinctively tries to do it the first time he encounters the bully, but the guy kicks his ass. This is a big alert to Clark, "You're not Superman anymore, you can't do what you're supposed to." (As Jor-El tells him in the Donner cut, he has a mission and he should stick to it.)

When Clark, with his powers back, returns to the diner, it's not for revenge. It's because the bully has always needed a comeuppance, and Clark couldn't do it the first time. Look at the way the bully treats the staff - the guy is a thug, and has obviously attacked many people like he did Clark. Finally he gets what he deserves.

That's why the scenes are in both Lester and Donner cuts, regardless of the turning-back-time thing in Donner's. It's not about revenge.

Leave it up to Kev to educate the ignorant.

Exactly Kevin, that's what I've always thought with Lester's version and now I do with Donner's cut. I'm glad the bastard gets his comeuppance, regardless of Superman turning back time. :super:

My brother informed me the other day that there was a period when I was young that I actually preferred to watch George Reeves' Superman over Superman II as I really hated watching Clark being beaten up. :O

Kevin Roegele said:
I think many people don't understand the point of the scenes in Superman II - either version - where Clark encounters a bully in a diner.

The point of the scenes is to show that Clark is supposed to be Superman to right wrongs. Clark instinctively tries to do it the first time he encounters the bully, but the guy kicks his ass. This is a big alert to Clark, "You're not Superman anymore, you can't do what you're supposed to." (As Jor-El tells him in the Donner cut, he has a mission and he should stick to it.)

When Clark, with his powers back, returns to the diner, it's not for revenge. It's because the bully has always needed a comeuppance, and Clark couldn't do it the first time. Look at the way the bully treats the staff - the guy is a thug, and has obviously attacked many people like he did Clark. Finally he gets what he deserves.

That's why the scenes are in both Lester and Donner cuts, regardless of the turning-back-time thing in Donner's. It's not about revenge.
But why would Clark mention about his favorite seat and the bully calling him "four eyes" if Supes had turned back time?

Lazlo Panaflex said:
But why would Clark mention about his favorite seat and the bully calling him "four eyes" if Supes had turned back time?

Superman only turns back time because it was the only ending they could've used for the Donner dvd. But if Donner had actually gotten to complete the film, it would not have been present.

The diner scene is a classic example of how much everyone tries to overthink this stuff today. When it was first released, the scene was a crowd pleaser, and I don't think I ever heard anyone question Superman's actions.

It's also worth pointing out that Clark doesn't unleash a bunch of Kryptonian punches on the guy. He spins him around on a stool, then slides him down the counter onto a pinball machine. Aside from being seriously disoriented and humiliated, I doubt the guy would've suffered much (if any) physical injury.

Lazlo Panaflex said:

Why does Clark tell the resturant owner he's been working out, if the man has no memory of seeing him before?

It's not perfect, but then it is a film shot twice and edited twenty-five years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"