• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Anime Recommendation Thread

The Cajun

Civilian
Reaction score
If your looking for some recommendations of a new anime to watch or have an anime you would like to reccomend post it here!

Please note: Try and be detailed if you are talking about or asking for an anime.

Anyways, guess I'll kick things off.

I've just finished Ergo Proxy so now I'm on the look-out for a new show to watch. Basicly I'm looking for a series round 20 episodes long with a strong story that plays throughout. Some action is needed as well as a bit of romance (it doesn't have to be a huge part of the story but it is always nice to have in a show). Strong character development is also a must.

I'm not too fussy about where the story is set. I'm pretty open to anything from a futuristic setting, supernatural or samurai japan. Anything will do really.

Anyone think they can reccomend anything that sounds a bit like this? Heres a list of some of my favourite anime if you want a clue...

Ergo Proxy
Witch Hunter Robin
Last Exile
Samurai Champloo
Blood+
Samurai 7
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

*grins widely* Dragon Ball Z!!! Its ultra depthy!

ok ok.. in all seriousness I will always recommend Slam Dunk. Uh...I'll try to think of more since it sounds like Slam Dunk might not be your type of Anime.

But hey....I tried.:woot:

Does anyone have any idea what this picture comes from?
namnlski1.jpg

The name of the anime that is. - Because I don't.

But for recomendation:
Great Teacher Onizuka
Vampire Hunter D
Hellsing Ultimate OVA
Death Note

Oh wait Berserk!

That is a good dark anime! If you don't mind the violence and sex! But there is ALOT of character developement.

Does anyone have any idea what this picture comes from?
namnlski1.jpg

The name of the anime that is. - Because I don't.

250px-421px-Blood-The_Last_Vampire_-_DVD_Front_Cover.jpg

There you go.

Anyway, I'd recommend my 2 all-time favorites:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and the End of Evangelion. For those who aren't afraid of mind****s.

And on the lighter side- Tenchi Muyo. The OAV series. One of the funniest animes I've ever seen.

I got netflix about 1 month ago, and did the 3 movies at once deal. Now that I got the movies I wanted to watch out of the way (seriously easy to go thru 10+ in no time), I'm gonna dip into a few anime series I missed. I don't know if it's good or not, but I put the 10 disk Gundam Seed on my list since I missed it showing on CN, and I enjoyed Gundam Wing.

Serial Experiments Lain is also a great series.

I've only seen one episode, and can never find the set anywhere in Memphis

Gungrave - A drama series about two childhood friends, Brandon Heat & Harry McDowel, who rise up in the ranks of the biggest mafia in town. Base doff the PS2 shooter game of the same name.

Azumanga Daioh - A random comedy series following the daily lives of high school girls. One of the funniest series out there. Highly recommended if you're looking to lymfao.

Pani-Poni Dash - Another comdey series following a 10/11 year old high school teacher and her crazy students.

Peacemaker Kurogane - Samurai & ninjas. Nuff said.

Ghost Stories - Check out the dub version which is 10 times funnier than the original. It's comedy about a girl & her friends, in a funny way, battling random ghost who show up.

There's tons more I'll post up once I remember them :D:o

Oh wait Berserk!

That is a good dark anime! If you don't mind the violence and sex! But there is ALOT of character developement.

I'll second this recommendation. It is a little dated animation wise, but then, there are tons of great shows that may look a little crummy. Give me older anime as opposed to newer flashier crap anyday.

R.O.D the TV
Shakugan no Shana
Haruhi Suzumiya
School Rumble
Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Guu (Hare+Guu)

I've just finished Ergo Proxy so now I'm on the look-out for a new show to watch. Basicly I'm looking for a series round 20 episodes long with a strong story that plays throughout. Some action is needed as well as a bit of romance (it doesn't have to be a huge part of the story but it is always nice to have in a show). Strong character development is also a must.

I'm not too fussy about where the story is set. I'm pretty open to anything from a futuristic setting, supernatural or samurai japan. Anything will do really.

Anyone think they can reccomend anything that sounds a bit like this?

Cowboy Bebop:
Strong Story-Check (although many of the episodes are fun and self-contained, the story gradually comes together and it's both exciting and hilarious)
Action-Damn skippy. Cowboy bounty-hunters... in space.
Romance-Yessir.
Character Development-If you don't love Spike, Jet, and Faye immediately, you have something wrong in the head.

I'm also watching Baki the Grappler right now, which amused me with its caricatures of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu's founding family, but leaves me somewhat confused as I ponder: if Baki's a grappler, why does he so rarely grapple with anyone? He keeps on punching them. I will pass judgement on this later (although even then, I'm watching the Japanese series with French subtitles, and my French is awful, so it's a bit less enjoyable as a result).

-Just for the record, I don't really get all the praise for Neon Genesis Evangelion. It starts off as a decent, if standard, kids with giant robots yarn, and quickly degenerates into an ambiguous, confusing, and pedantic mess of near-indecipherable psychobabble fired back and forth between the most disturbed and disfunctional group of barely tolerable characters ever assembled. Some might call that profound or artistic, I call it trying too damn hard and failing miserably.

And that's why I like NGE. It's not a typical anime.

i saw gungrave, X-ray, a favorite of mine and cajun, Last Exile is amazing,
does captain alex die? i could have sworn he did, havent seen it in a long time though.

and i sugest Paranoia Agent for anyone who wants a supsenseful trippy confusing anime!!

Zero-no-tsukaima.jpg

Zero no Tsukaima, check out the first season 1-13 on youtube. It's pretty funny. Like a cross between Harry Potter and Pokemon and Love Hina, but in a good way.:o

Sloth7d - Gantz is great.
can anyone recommend a show with good style and a lot of action.

Phantom Quest Corp
BAOH
Dagger of Kamui
Gunslinger Girls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"