Another possible model of continuity for the X-Men Franchise - 6 universes

Mutant 77

Supreme Keeper of the X-Men Movie Continuity
Reaction score
Just revised this thread... mine is a work of pure passion. That's it.

The main X-Men universe (X-Men + Wolverine) has been altered via time travel twice, not just one ("Days of Future Past").

This means that the timeline depicted in "First Class" (1962), "The Wolverine" (2008) and the post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past" (2023) was already a massive divergence from the original, untampered version of history (the X-Men trilogy).

X-CONTINUITY
http://x-continuity.blogspot.com

There are extensive sections explaining more about incongruences and contradictions in the saga.

According to my scenario:

Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) was a time traveler. He was born several years after the events of "The Last Stand", in the original timeline (X-Men Origins: Wolverine; X-Men; X2; The Last Stand).

At a certain point, when he was 50 or so, he traveled back to 1912 A.C. and impacted the timeline over the years in various ways... until creating the Hellfire Club.
He also changed Magneto's life in 1944.

The events of "First Class" were deeply caused by him, as well as having many birthdays shifting in time and characters being born later or before (Angel, Jean Grey).
I guess he influenced many powerful people over the decades, impacting their lives - Warren Worthington II (Angel's father) was among them.

FC Moira was the grandmother of LS Moira, as simple as that.

Emma Frost was already existing. Maybe, in the original timeline, Emma Silverfox was a clone of her who was adopted by Kayla's family (that's it).

So in the end, we got the second timeline:

1962- First Class
1963- Magneto is arrested
1973- Mystique kills Bolivar Trask
1983- Alternate version of "X-Men Origins"
2000- Alternate version of "X-Men" and "X2"
2001- Alternate version of "The Last Stand"
2008- The Wolverine
2023- Post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past"

The third timeline is the one created by the events of "Days of Future Past" (1973).

UNIVERSE 2:

Deadpool 1
Deadpool2
(featuring an alternate version of the X-Men)

UNIVERSE 3:

The Gifted

UNIVERSE 4:

Legion

UNIVERSE 5:

Logan (2017)

UNIVERSE 6:

Generation X (1996)

Last edited:
lol, you carted over to the main movie forums.

UNIVERSE 1 - Legion(TV series), X-Men, X2, X-Men:The Last Stand
UNIVERSE 2 - Logan
UNIVERSE 3 - X-Men:First Class, The Gifted(TV series), X-Men Days Of Future Past(future)
UNIVERSE 4 - X-Men:First Class, X-Men Days Of Future Past(1970s), X-Men:Apocalypse, X-Men Dark Phoenix, Deadpool, Deadpool 2(My theory from the end credits sequence is DP2 Wade accidentally created Origins/The Wolverine timeline then corrects it by killing Origins Wade, Logan got locked up again and we see him next in Apocalypse and The Wolverine never happened.)

UNIVERSE 2 - Logan
UNIVERSE 3 - X-Men:First Class, The Gifted(TV series), X-Men Days Of Future Past(future)
UNIVERSE 4 - X-Men:First Class, X-Men Days Of Future Past(1970s), X-Men:Apocalypse, X-Men Dark Phoenix, Deadpool, Deadpool 2(My theory from the end credits sequence is DP2 Wade accidentally created Origins/The Wolverine timeline then corrects it by killing Origins Wade, Logan got locked up again and we see him next in Apocalypse and The Wolverine never happened.)

Very interesting theories about "Legion", "The Gifted" and "Deadpool". Thanks!

UNIVERSE 2 - Logan
The only change I'd make is that Universe 2 would still proceed X-Men, X2, and X-Men: The Last Stand if it can't already be folded into Universe 1.

Legion definitely fits more with the universe of the original trilogy in that mutanats are still not widely known about.

Logan doesn't quite fit into the universe of the original trilogy because of Xavier's description of how he and Logan first met.

I won't go into all the reasons why the McAvoy/Fassbender films are a separate universe from the Stewart/McKellan ones, but one in particular that stands out is Jean Grey's age in the mid-80s in the flashback in The Last Stand compared to Apocalypse.

The Gifted was stated by someone in an interview as being in one of the alternate futures that exists prior to Days Of Future Past sending Wolverine back to the 70s.

As for the Deadpool/Wolverine thing ..... For DP2 Wade to meet Origins Wade, it would mean that Origins Wade would have to be the version of Wade from a future timeline that was created by DP2 Wade travelling back in the first place, and what we see is him correcting that after he finds out what he caused - namely the ending of Origins:Wolverine and it's sequel The Wolverine - and we can now write them off as didn't happen.

Logan doesn't quite fit into the universe of the original trilogy because of Xavier's description of how he and Logan first met.

What a disappointment you are... When I found you, you were pursuing a career as a cage fighter. You were an animal... But we took you in. I gave you a family.
I didn't take that as a direct confrontation at the cage fight, just that that was what he was doing at the time.

Fair point ..... so basically we're down to 2 universes, with the second one going through a couple of timeline changes along the way ...

1. - Legion and Logan frame the original trilogy

2. - The Gifted fits between First Class and Days Of Future Past
- The Deadpool films are set after the McAvoy/Fassbender ones (The different Colossus to DOFP can be attributed to DOFP changing things)
- Following the end of Deadpool 2, Origins: Wolverine ended with DP 2 Wade killing Origins Wade and Logan ended up incarcerated again until Apocalypse. The Wolverine can be totally disregarded.

It's impressive that the movies have managed to become an even more convoluted mess than the comics could ever hope to be

For anyone else:

I just revised this thread, because I slightly re-wrote my timelines in order to accomodate the theory that Sebastian Shaw ("First Class") was a time traveler and "First Class" was already a massive divergence.

Enjoy. Thanks!

FC was pretty inconsistent but I don't want Sebastian Shaw (one of the worst parts of the movie) to be more focused on or made to be more important to try to account for it, instead probably just ignore it as much as can be done.

FC was pretty inconsistent but I don't want Sebastian Shaw (one of the worst parts of the movie) to be more focused on or made to be more important to try to account for it, instead probably just ignore it as much as can be done.

The character was great and Kevin did a superb job with it. I dare to say you're in the minority, truly.
Have you read my timelines?

Waiting for some feedback :)

Some funny points about the three timelines of the mainstream X-Men movie universe:

1- Sebastian Shaw's helmet in First Class has a weird origin. It was the helmet conceived, designed and fabricated by Magneto himself long before the original trilogy (set in 2004-2005), in Timeline Prime Alpha. In the future (2050s), Shaw just acquired/stole the helmet, refurbished it, and brought it with him in the past, when he travelled to 1912 A.C. to alter the timeline.

Sebastian couldn't reveal his true origin and thus the helmet's true nature to anyone. He was a social chameleon and a manipulator, and was also changing identities through decades. He just killed Erik's mother to make Erik more motivated and cruel... so he couldn't talk about "the" Magneto of his original timeline who was repeatedly defeated by the X-Men.
Sebastian had an agenda.
Ironically enough, he created a better Erik Lehsherr who joined the X-Men twice in his life (in the second timeline) and three times (so far) in the third timeline.

2- Angel Mark II was older in "The Last Stand" Version 2 (not our movie version). Without DOFP occurring in 1973, the timeline went on as "before", only with slight adjustments. So I repeat you, the X-Men trilogy occurred the same in the second timeline, just rearranged a bit to accomodate the changes that Sebastian Shaw caused since 1912.

When Xavier 1973 reads Wolverine 2023's mind, you can see glipses from "his" (Logan's) version of "The Last Stand"... "his" version happening in the second timeline (not the first one). Both Xavier 1973 and Wolverine 2023 are supposed to belong to the second timeline, and the events of DOFP just altered it and turned it into the third timeline ----- the one where "Apocalypse" and "Dark Phoenix" happened.

I'm not here to make sense for a multi-million dollar corporation with a massive team of creative people who all cant be bothered to create a continuity that makes sense. The continuity sucks. It's garbage. No further thought needed.

I'm not here to make sense for a multi-million dollar corporation with a massive team of creative people who all cant be bothered to create a continuity that makes sense. The continuity sucks. It's garbage. No further thought needed.

It doesn't matter. They are brilliant movies. I love them all. It's fun to "fix" their continuity.

Waiting for some feedback :)

In all honesty I'd say there's going through a process of elimination to determine which movies couldn't exist in the same timeline as each other and there's fan-fiction and your timeline ideas tend toward the latter.

In all honesty I'd say there's going through a process of elimination to determine which movies couldn't exist in the same timeline as each other and there's fan-fiction and your timeline ideas tend toward the latter.

Well, if Shaw is not a time traveler, First Class/DOFP could happen in an alternate universe running parallel to the original trilogy. That's another possibility.

It doesn't matter. They are brilliant movies. I love them all. It's fun to "fix" their continuity.

That's great that you find X-3 and Origins: Wolverine to be brilliant. Really...it's wonderful and I'm glad that you find enjoyment in them.
I would argue that "brilliant" movies would not require fans to jump through the hoops you did to put A, B and C in place.

"The Last Stand" is a brilliant superhero movie. Origins is not brilliant, neither it is bad. It's a fun popcorn movie with some impressive scenes under its belt. Still the least of the bunch, even.

The movies are self-consistent. It was another era where continuity between sequels didn't matter that much. The span 'X1-Origins' is consistent. "First Class" was supposed to be a soft reboot.

Any more feedback? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"