Any great science fiction films you have your eye on?

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
I reckon after Inception and Looper, science fiction is coming back in a big way. It seems lots of interesting directors are deciding to make a science fiction project, from Alfonso Cuaron to Justin Lin.

Is there anything is particular that interests you? I just saw the trailer for 'John dies at the end' and that looks like a brilliant one!

Neill Blomkamps (District 9) Elysium about a world where the poor lives on an overpopulated Earth and the rich live in a orbiting Halo-structure.

In the year 2159, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy “Coordinators,” people who can afford bio-genetical engineering, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, built by the Armadyne Corporation, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes, a hard government of?cial, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn’t stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. When unlucky ex-con Max is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that if successful will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.

It will surely be great :)

Neill Blomkamps (District 9) Elysium about a world where the poor lives on an overpopulated Earth and the rich live in a orbiting Halo-structure.

It will surely be great :)

Looks interesting. I bet the idea came from the China/Hong Kong border enforcement.

I'd say the current surge in science fiction can be tied back not just to inception but two of the biggest hits critically of the summer of 2009, Moon from Duncan Jones and Neil Blomkamp's District 9, which was also successful financially despite being rated R and was later nominated for Best Picture.

Then of course there is the most financially successful film of all time (that only drops to number 2 when you adjust for inflation, so spare everyone the arguments) Avatar, also nominated for several Oscars.

Next year will potentially be a banner year, the like unseen since the early 80's.

Next year we're getting (In no particular order):

Pacific Rim from Guillermo del Toro

Elysium from Neil Blomkamp

Oblivion from Joseph Kosinksi

Gravity by Alfonso Cuarón

There are some others I'm forgetting but there are a lot of smaller films as well including The Europa Report starring District 9's Sharlto Copley and some crazy sounding science fiction horror "The Last Days on Mars" starring Liev Schreiber.

Further out, in 2014 we have Speilberg taking on Robopocalypse as scripted by Drew Goddard, which seems like some kind of dream scenario but is in fact going forward.

Plus there are the franchises and comicbook films.

Star Trek is out next year and could potentially be great

and then there's the cosmic scifi fantasy in store for us with Thor The Dark Worl and, later, Guardians of the Galaxy.

and the potent combination of mutants time travel and possibly giant robots in X Men Days of Future Past.

then of course, far on the horizon, a new Star Wars film.

It's a good time for science fiction.

Last edited:
all of these sound awesome to me. more sci-fi the better!

Agreed, Science fiction is jolly good fun. I'm really fasinated by the themes of optimism and exploration. Far too often people go for a more poignant, dystopian vision I reckon these days but I'm interested in the good the future still holds.

Star Trek Into Darkness and X-Men: Days of Future Past.

I'm most excited for Neil Blomkamp's Elysium. It sounds ****ing brilliant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"