The Twenty Science Fiction Novels that Will Change Your Life

I didn't like it either. Bram Stoker's Dracula is much better, although it's not applicable to this thread :o

Ilike Frankensten more than Dracula. Without a solid point of view I get lost in the story.

The lack of Stranger in a Strange Land renders this list invalid.

Kindred (1979), by Octavia Butler
A black woman living in 1970s America finds herself sucked back in time to protect the life of her distant ancestor: a white slaveowner with a perverse crush on one of his slaves. Expect no political correctness, but a lot of tough questions about racial identity, in this seriously action-packed story about how the people you trust least may be the source of your existence.

Nice, I'll be reading this soon. :up:

A black woman living in 1970s America finds herself sucked back in time to protect the life of her distant ancestor: a white slaveowner with a perverse crush on one of his slaves. Expect no political correctness, but a lot of tough questions about racial identity, in this seriously action-packed story about how the people you trust least may be the source of your existence.

it should totally be a movie directed by aronofsky

Think I'll put that on my list too, TZ.

Sounds good :)

How did Stranger in a Strange Land not make the list. I don't grok this.

I want a reason why Brave New World isn't on that list.

Books that I'd say deserve a place on the list:

Brave New World - Alduous Huxley
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

Note of interest the only one on the list that we read in my Science Fiction Literature Class was Frankenstein.

No Robert Heinlein on the list? I'll pass.

Though I've already read At the Mountains of Madness and The Time Machine.

Frankenstein just moves too damn slow.

And the only 2 Stephenson books worth reading are Snow Crash and The Diamond Age
Frankenstein and The Time Machine are boring to read. Gibson is great,though (Johnny Mnemonic).

Let us not forget Rod Serling (The Twilight Zone) who put out several collections of short stories.

It's missing:

1984 by George Orwell

- What happens when the Government watches EVERYTHING?

I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A. Heinlein

- An old man's brain get's transplanted into a woman's body, but the woman's personality isn't completely erased.

Read this for my 11th grade English class. It's pretty good, if a bit confusing.

In addition to the growing number of omitted books, I'll add William Gibson's Neuromancer .

^ Good addition.

I'll throw in The Handmaid's Tale as well.

Hey! There's no L. Ron Hubbard on that list! :cmad:

just kidding :woot:

It's also missing Jules Verne, often touted as the Grandfather of Science Fiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"