Anyone like Marvel and DC together?

Morgoth

Sidekick
Reaction score
There are alot of people out there who are either a Marvel fan, or a DC fan, and one tends to hate the other.

Anyone out there like both equally? Just curious.

I love both, but I like more of Marvel's characters moreso than DC.

DC is like the kindly, distinguished old gentleman of comics, and Marvel is the Led Zeppelin of comics. That's my way of thinking of it anyway.

When I was younger I was all about Marvel, and I didn't like DC because it was competition. As I got older I started to appreciate DC's characters and I realized that I didn't have to solely like one, I could just like them both. I still like Marvel more because that was the first company I got into, but my love of DC is growing by the day, and I am a fan of the new DC comics while I don't really enjoy the new Marvel ones as much.

I am a fan of whatever looks good to me, I don't only buy Marvel or DC or Image.
I buy whatever I want.

I started out reading DC and in fact I didn't even see Marvels. I used to buy my comics in the grocery store and what they carried was almost exclusively DC. I saw an occasional Marvel comic like Thor or Iron Man when I was at someone else's house but eventually I found the X-Men and they became more available. I read both but remained essentially a DC fan until the COIE when DC changed every thing I used to like. I still stayed with it for awhile but i finally abandoned DC when they began to change histories on their characters for what I saw was no good reason. When my local comic shop closed a few years ago I dropped out of collecting and haven't bought much of anything since although I did by Endsong in the collection and may pick up a few odds and ends if I run across anything. I am regaining my interest since joining the Hype but I have missed so much it is hard to keep up with the essential changes that have occured.

I was strictly Marvel, but with the downgrade in quality of a lot of their books an' the sudden increase in what appeals to me in comics comin' from DC, in recent years I've started to actually collect DC an' look forward to a few of their titles.

I will now an' forever hate Superman, though. I liked certain writers on his books, an' I liked certain incarnations outside of comics. But overall, Superman is the lamest character they have. Just wanna put that out there, considerin' I keep gettin' banned because of some ass with a Superman-positive name.

I read everything, always have, except it was mostly Marvel when I was a kid, but I still read DC books and Spawn and **** like that. Today I read whatever interest me. Marvel, DC, Image, Dynamite, Dark Horse whatever man.

As a child, I grew up with Marvel but paying just as much attention to Batman (like the toys, BTAS, movies, etc.).

However, when starting to read comics I basically became a DC fan and am way "out-dated" on a lot of stuff going on in Marvel. Just recently, however, I've decided to back-track and get into the Marvel Knights Daredevil series (my bro collects X-Men and Spider-Man but I don't read em I just ask about em to help stay updated).

But..since that is the only Marvel title I plan on collecting...I guess I'm still more of a DC fan really since I'm collecting more from DC (52, GA, JSA, AM:SoA; my bro gets Batman so that's covered) and enjoy DC more overall.

I will now an' forever hate Superman, though. I liked certain writers on his books, an' I liked certain incarnations outside of comics. But overall, Superman is the lamest character they have. Just wanna put that out there, considerin' I keep gettin' banned because of some ass with a Superman-positive name.

I do not hate Superman, but I'm not impressed. I'm not really into the all-powerful/cosmic superheroes that tower of the others like Gods. I mainly appeal to the more humane heroes. To me, at least, the more humane heroes allow for better stories since it's a normal guy trying to do what people like Supes can easily do.

good is good, no matter where it comes from, MArvel, DC, Image, whereever

the "friendly rivalry" was fun and cool and cute for awhile, but when a person flat out REFUSES to read books from one company because their a fan of the other, then it's just ridiculous.

When you go to the movie theatre, do you pay attention to whether a movie is being released by Warner Brothers, Universal, Paramount, or Disney? No, of course not, who in their right mind would care? You go to see what looks good and interesting to you based on a project's individual merits, and usually pay ZERO attention to the company that produced it

I was strictly Marvel, but with the downgrade in quality of a lot of their books an' the sudden increase in what appeals to me in comics comin' from DC, in recent years I've started to actually collect DC an' look forward to a few of their titles.

yeah, I remember how you were when you first got here, now look at you ;)

As for Superman, I've not always been his biggest fan either, but I don't dismiss him, I just know the book has to be something extra special if it's going to interest me, like Red Son, Birthright, or Secret Identity. Actually, that's about the extent of the books staring Superman that I enjoy. He's always a fun supporting character, though, so I've no problem reading JLA.

Have you tried the current Busiek run E?

I sm s fan of both. When I was younger, I got started on old Batman, Superman, and Legion of SuperHeroes comics from the 50's and 60's. These are what my dad read ,and so he passed them on to me. Eventually I also got into Marvel stories from around the same time.

I love them both for different reasons. DC is CLASSIC. At least IMO. I think it has a great sense of history, much more so than Marvel. Some people would think this is a bad thing. But I have always enjoyed the fact that you can read a character that your father/grandfather/whoever also enjoyed.

Marvel is great with changing with the times. In general, their comics seem more topical and relavent to what's going on in the world today. Of course, this also affect the old comics. Many times, I can pick up an old Superman, or Batman, and still enjoy it. This is often harder with Spiderman or Xmen. But I'm sure at the time people were thinking, "Wow, Spiderman is going through the same **** as me!"

I'm not saying that either way is better. They're just different, and I appreciate them in different ways because of that.

I also think that DC is much better at playing around with their characters. By playing around, I mean thinkgs like ElseWorlds. Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that ElseWorlds took What if..? to the next level, and was much more successful at it. DC has characters that can be recognizable in a multitude of ways. Of course this is because they haven't really changed that much over time. At least IMO.

And as for the hatred of Superman (just wanted to get this off my chest because I keep hearing it), give the dude a break. Every character has ups and downs. And yes, he can be too powerful. That's why the really good Superman writers (such as Waid and Ross) look more at the question of what to do with that power. When that conflict is there, a truly engauging Superman stry can be possible.

But again, that's just me.

Marvel is stupid and anyone who reads it is stupid, too.

Have you tried the current Busiek run E?

nah, haven't heard anything about it. Tried the Jim Lee run, which was **** as we all know, so that's about enough supes for me.

if a year or two from now the Busiek run is hailed as the second coming, I'll go back and check it out

Marvel for me.

Dc often has more 'class' but its almost impossible to drop in on a Dc book simply because of the insane, complex history many of the characters have.

livrule said:
Dc often has more 'class' but its almost impossible to drop in on a Dc book simply because of the insane, complex history many of the characters have.

Yea, I'm more of a DC fan but I found it easier to start getting into Marvel's DD than I did when starting to get into some characters I didn't have a good understanding of in DC.

I first read DC comics,then i later read Marvel comics.I rarely read Independent comics,or others.

Don't you read Punisher? :dry:
He scratches off the "Marvel" and "MAX" logos and draws a "DC" bullet with "Vertigo" scribbled underneath it. Usually when he gets to the fourth or fifth copy on the shelf, the shop clerks club him and drag him outside.

Yeah, that's true, although this week I made it to 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"