Apple rumored looking to buy Netflix

Disney and Apple have been in bed together for 25 years every since Pixar came to be. If any one thinks this is a going to help competition they are deluding themselves. The two companies will work with each other not against. Either way the consumer will lose out.

Precisely why I hope this deal doesn't go through. Netflix needs to remain as it is, simple as that.

Oh **** off, Apple. If this happens I'll be canceling my subscription. Im not buying some overpriced piece of apple hardware just so I can watch netflix.

Another pointless potential merger for the Department of Justice to hopefully kill with fire.

Last edited:
Disney and Apple have been in bed together for 25 years every since Pixar came to be. If any one thinks this is a going to help competition they are deluding themselves. The two companies will work with each other not against. Either way the consumer will lose out.

OK, I searched the Internet and found that it's true. They are already "hand in glove", for a lack of better term. :o

The companies also have some common DNA: Disney CEO Robert Iger has a seat on Apple’s board, Laurene Powell Jobs was Disney’s largest shareholder (thanks to Disney’s purchase of Steve Jobs’ company Pixar), and Disney has been an early partner on major Apple video initiatives.
https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/02/...-cash-netflix-disney-tesla-and-other-options/

Oh **** off, Apple. If this happens I'll be canceling my subscription. Im not buying some overpriced piece of apple hardware just so I can watch netflix.

That won't happen though, what may happen is that Apple users may get some discounts when the subscribe to Netflix.

Yeah, I guess Apple stopped making everything Apple exclusive but they definitely did it back in the day which was a pain in the ass.

I still avoid their products and services though.

Too many consumer friendly alternatives to rely on them again.

And I've been a loyal netflix customer since forever but I'll drop them like a bad habit if I feel Apple's influence.

So is there an Apple app to use your iTunes library on an android phone or no?

I'm not talking about some syncher nonsense.

OK, I searched the Internet and found that it's true. They are already "hand in glove", for a lack of better term. :o

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/02/...-cash-netflix-disney-tesla-and-other-options/

This is why people have to look at these situations more thoroughly. Disney by virtue of their relationship with Apple and Bob Iger's board membership can easily have a say in what Netflix could do if Apple were to purchase it. Lets say Apple purchases Netflix, what's to stop Disney going to Apple and saying 'We'd prefer it if Netflix didn't make any sci-fi related films or anything to do with space battle or lasers'. Apple is the bigger of the two companies and could say no, but they benefit greatly from their relationship with Disney and wouldn't want to rock that boat. Very much a quid pro quo situation. Anyone who's read anything about the history between the two companies knows they are not beyond making decisions that are mutually beneficial to each other. The relationaship has lasted almost a quarter of a century.

Last edited:
This is why people have to look at these situations more thoroughly. Disney by virtue of their relationship with Apple and Bob Iger's board membership can easily have a say in what Netflix could do if Apple were to purchase it. Lets say Apple purchases Netflix, what's to stop Disney going to Apple and saying 'We'd prefer it if Netflix didn't make any sci-fi related films or anything to do with space battle or lasers'. Apple is the bigger of the two companies and could say no, but they benefit greatly from their relationship with Disney and wouldn't want to rock that boat. Very much a quid pro quo situation. Anyone who's read anything about the history between the two companies knows they are not beyond making decisions that are mutually beneficial to each other. The relationaship has lasted almost a quarter of a century.

Can you give a more realistic scenario?

Right now I see the two companies agreeing to avoid the same markets which would ultimately help the consumer.

So people who love horror would get catered to by one company and people who love anime by another.

Sure, people who like both will be forced to buy both but it's kind of that way now.

Last edited:
This purchase would worry me. I don't buy Apple products, and I can see Apple forcing me to in order to maximize my Netflix, or jack up the prices. This is a big no.

Can you give a more realistic scenario?

Right now I see the two companies agreeing to avoid the same markets which would ultimately help the consumer.

So people who love horror would get catered to by one company and people who love anime by another.

Sure, people who like both will be forced to buy both but it's kind of that way now.

How is Netflix being prevented from making their own sci-fi space opera in the best interest of the consumer? It's essentially Disney dictating that Netflix can't attempt to do anything that will potentially hurt Star Wars. What if Netflix wants to make it's own Superhero universe also? Or expand it's animation line up?

Think about all those properties Disney now has, all the genres they have under their belt and how much money they make, now imagine they and Apple decide it's in both companies best interests to have all of Netflix's original content that is a potential threat to Disney be eliminated. Netflix just spent $90m on an original sci-fi movie which looks like becoming its first genre movie franchise, and by all reports was reasonably successful. That's exactly the type of thing companies like Disney would fear the most. Dramas, documentaries, stand up comedy shows, they could care less about, but action adventure, sci-fi, animation, fantasy, that exactly the type of competition Disney wouldn't want their streaming service to be competing with.

In which scenarios does Apple force you to use their products?

In regards to Netflix, Apple's absurd surplus would be a boom for their original IPs. As more and more companies are moving to their own streaming services, Netflix is going to take a hit. Creating their own exclusive projects will keep them ahead and backing from Apple will solidify their position in this streaming age.

I am not exactly an Apple hater and I have a much more pragmatic view of how corporate businesses are run in this day and age, but those bloody airpods are the very definition of being forced to buy stupid **** by the manufacturer.

I'm don't mind it, with Fox Studio's acquisition by Disney there's a void left in terms of Original Content creator, while Netflix is not a regular movie studio and it cannot possibly take the place of Old Fox Studios, it still can provide some competition in the field of Streaming series.

With Apple buying Netflix, it will provide Netflix some financial support so that it does not close down due to competition from Disney's own streaming services. (or from WB and AT&T's streaming if it ever happens.)

I love how no matter what the news is, and in this case this piece has absolutely ZILCH to do with them, but Disney is always the bad guy. :whatever:

Netflix is chasing massive debt by trying to grow it's subscriber base overseas. Being purchased by Apple would solidify the service and pretty much deal with that problem. This will help buffer them from the massive boost that Hulu is likely to get as well as Disney's (and others) streaming services to come.

The rationale is that Netflix currently creates content but less so than Fox /Disney.
Streaming is the name of the game, which Fox/Disney now also has a more substantial stake in via Hulu + w/e new service they're planning (either would entail reducing Netflix's library to prop those up).

Assuming Apple buys Netflix, then what?
Apple product exclusive? Change its model for something more like the appstore or itunes? Is it more or less like GoogleTube?

Yeah, it does make business sense for them and that is why the talk is there. But I still feel the weakening of the net neutrality rules will make this an extremely extremely bad proposition for the consumers.

How is Netflix being prevented from making their own sci-fi space opera in the best interest of the consumer? It's essentially Disney dictating that Netflix can't attempt to do anything that will potentially hurt Star Wars. What if Netflix wants to make it's own Superhero universe also? Or expand it's animation line up?

Think about all those properties Disney now has, all the genres they have under their belt and how much money they make, now imagine they and Apple decide it's in both companies best interests to have all of Netflix's original content that is a potential threat to Disney be eliminated. Netflix just spent $90m on an original sci-fi movie which looks like becoming its first genre movie franchise, and by all reports was reasonably successful. That's exactly the type of thing companies like Disney would fear the most. Dramas, documentaries, stand up comedy shows, they could care less about, but action adventure, sci-fi, animation, fantasy, that exactly the type of competition Disney wouldn't want their streaming service to be competing with.

I think you are over rating the influence of one guy in the board. Its not uncommon for corporations to have some other executive level person from another corporation on their board. And as far as we know so far, even though there seem to be some decisions taken by either company to help each other (based on your posts, and I have not read through those stories, so you guys will have to pardon my lack of knowledge of that aspect) , things will change the moment it becomes obvious that they are entering a same or even similar market-product combo. Lot of other rules start kicking in, plus if Apple feels they can make more out of Netflix than some dumb wink-wink deal with Disney, that is exactly what they will do. Businesses don't run on friendships, they run on profits and revenues. :) So I do feel you are overestimating these factors, even at this early stage.

And then Disney will buy them both.

This purchase would worry me. I don't buy Apple products, and I can see Apple forcing me to in order to maximize my Netflix, or jack up the prices. This is a big no.
This is a baseless fear. It was only a couple months ago where Apple practically forced the entire industry to keep UHD titles at $20 or less. And they even upgraded everyone's library to a free UHD copy if they bought the movie on iTunes before. If anything Apple got people to pay less.

I am not exactly an Apple hater and I have a much more pragmatic view of how corporate businesses are run in this day and age, but those bloody airpods are the very definition of being forced to buy stupid **** by the manufacturer.
Forced to buy the iPhones, or the Airpods themselves? Because any BT headset can still work with the new iPhones, and the Airpods work as standard BT earbuds on any BT-enabled device.

Even if this does happen, it will go down as bad/as good as Google owning YouTube.

and less media/content control

as Vile succinctly pointed out

That was bad. This is just as bad. I honestly don't see any benefits to this for we consumers.

I doubt Apple would stop Netflix being usable on non-Apple devices. That would be a pretty outrageous thing to try.

People were speculating the same thing with Shazam when Apple bought them. I predict they may restrict certain features that are only "iPhone, Apple TV, iPad compatible". They invented Netflix ya know.

Customers actually have more power then a lot seem to think. It's often the lack of discipline and not being able to walk without their crutch that allows companies to exploit them.

This is a very real concern and a big reason why this merger is so problematic for consumers.

That won't happen though, what may happen is that Apple users may get some discounts when the subscribe to Netflix.

I wouldn't be so sure. ITunes isn't available on smart tv's and Xbox and PS4. You have to buy some piece of secondart Apple hardware to get ITunes on your tv. I expect Apple will try to do the same stupid **** with Netflix.

I think you are over rating the influence of one guy in the board. Its not uncommon for corporations to have some other executive level person from another corporation on their board. And as far as we know so far, even though there seem to be some decisions taken by either company to help each other (based on your posts, and I have not read through those stories, so you guys will have to pardon my lack of knowledge of that aspect) , things will change the moment it becomes obvious that they are entering a same or even similar market-product combo. Lot of other rules start kicking in, plus if Apple feels they can make more out of Netflix than some dumb wink-wink deal with Disney, that is exactly what they will do. Businesses don't run on friendships, they run on profits and revenues. :) So I do feel you are overestimating these factors, even at this early stage.

I strongly recommend reading the Steve Jobs biography, The Pixar Story and the Disney Wars books to see how closely linked the two companies are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"