Archie, Jughead and Co. Headed To The Big Screen

Anybody here ever read the classic MAD magazine Archie parody from the 60s, 'Starchie Standrews'? It's pretty funny..

I watched the Archie's America cartoons on Saturday mornings in the early 70s and read several of their comics. Our church had the Christian-themed ones. I distinctly remember the Robin Hood parody they did, and the story where Reggie almost died from food poisoning...

I'm pretty skeptical that they can turn this into a live action movie. What living human being looks like Jughead??

Adrian Brody, bro. They'll just find someone with a pretty big nose or actually bust out the makeup f/x if they want to go all cartoony.

Now all we need is a band competition where the Archies go up against Josie and the Pussycats. :awesome:

I do hope Josie is something they revisit as well. I haven't watched an episode of the animated series in years, but I remember really loving it as a kid.

This was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm glad they're making it a teen comedy and not going ahead with the "Archies vs Zombies" angle. The comics are teen comedy, so should the movie.

In a way, they've already done this. A number of years ago there was a live action made for TV movie about The Archies at their 10 year high school reunion. Both Betty & Veronica were still hung up on Archie and their attempts to seduce him sort of . . . escalate. If I recall, Archie walked into his hotel room to find Betty there wearing nothing but a towel. Then she dropped the towel. Jughead was a divorced single father, and his son was a little s#!t. Big Ethal was still in love with Jughead, and he spent the whole movie hiding from her. Then when she finally catches up to him, it turns out she's now a famous supermodel. Apparently she was going through an "awkward stage" in high school. Moose & Midge are married, Moose is now a masseuse. That's all I really remember.

Anyway, hope this is good.

(BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the Misc Comics Film board?)

That movie was nothing like the comics. One of the worst INO movies ever.

That movie was nothing like the comics. One of the worst INO movies ever.

Well they were trying to target the adults who grew up reading the comics, rather than the kids who are currently reading the comics.

Personally, I prefer the older comics to the newer ones. I understand that they have to change with the times, but certain things should never change. Archie's jalopy, Jughead's appetite, and Moose's jealous streak being three prime examples. Some of the newer Archie comics go for a newer, more true to life style of artwork. I don't care much for that either.

Archie versus zombies... I guess they had to do something to spice up this comic adaptation to make it stand out from every other movie with the same premise as Archie.
I read the synopsis on Wikipedia and according to that the trouble starts when jughead ask for Sabrina's help when hot dog is accidently killed by reggie's car I always thought archie ad co. DIDN'T know about Sabrina's witchcraft powers

They don't, but Sabrina reveals it to Jughead to help Hot Dog.

Could be cool to have a new series.I liked Weird Mysteries.When I was a kid they had the Archies as pre-teens.(which was a first,since the comics had them regularly as teens or once in a while "Archie kids") My sister liked it a lot.I still remember some of the theme song. "We're the Archies in a brand new show...something-something High and Low.....so gimmie,gimmie that love I know.":woot:

I'm convinced the zombie movie plans were cancelled because it became a new Archie series Afterlife with Archie. That or at least making the movie zombie based. I'm sure an Archie movie is still happening.

Afterlife with Archie actually really good, despite me not liking the incestuous vibe between the Blossom siblings, and I'm undecided how they changed Nancy and Ginger to be secret lovers, and changing Archie's dog from Spotty. But it's all very well written, beautiful old school horror comic art; can't wait to see what more becomes of it.

Got excited this was bumped. Remember seeing this was going to get made a while ago, thought there was news. Hopefully its still on pace.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa Now Writing an Archie-Based Pilot For FOX Titled Riverdale

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56570
CBR News: Roberto, you've been Archie's Chief Creative Officer for a few months now -- is this something you've been working on for most of that time?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: It's something that had its origins actually a couple years back, from when I first started working with Archie and [Archie Comics Publisher/Co-CEO] Jon Goldwater. The idea was always to try to get some live-action projects up and running, much the way that Marvel was doing it, and much the way that DC Comics was starting. In fact, the first time Jon and I met, it was to talk about possibly doing a movie of "Archie." You may remember that a year ago, we announced that we were working on an Archie movie for Warner Bros. In fact, that is what has morphed into the "Riverdale" TV show. We sold "Archie" to Warner Bros., and then as we were developing the script and working with Warner Bros., who were great partners, we realized two things -- that there were thousands of different stories to tell with these characters; and that rather than a big, superhero extravaganza like "The Avengers" or "Batman v Superman," that really the bread and butter of the Archie characters was more intimate, and a little bit smaller scale. Coming of age, love triangle, that kind of stuff.

When one of the executives that we were working with at Warner Bros., the movie division, moved to start working with Greg Berlanti -- who has a deal at Warner Bros. Television -- we thought, actually, this might be a much, much, much, much better fit. But we didn't want to talk about it until we could announce it. It's been morphing, and we've been working on it for a year and a half. That's kind of how this came about.

Cheryl Blossom must be present. That chick is a straight THOT.

Haha, I remember there was one comic story where she was slumming it at the Riverdale beach and went topless to liven things up. You know, for kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"