Are American Comics Dying?

Twitter BS. That app should generally be nuked. just backed Aaron Loprestis new book on Indiegogo. No need to read whatever people write.

Twitter BS. That app should generally be nuked. just backed Aaron Loprestis new book on Indiegogo. No need to read whatever people write.
So you are cool with gaters. That's definitely a choice.

I'm catching up on what happened with him via Comics Matter w/ Ya Boi Zack on YT. Jesus, this is some vile crap. All he did was appear on a livestream to promote a book. People are acting as if he committed an act of genocide.

Yes. Exactly. I was on the fence about supporting that book, but seeng the nutso reactions made me decide to support it.

Like you, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It looks great! I want to support it, but I gotta prioritize. With Zack still promoting Knife-Hand: Blindspot, that'll be my only chance to get the first and second Jawbreakers books. Decisions, decisions...

Regarding the topic I would say main stream comics are dead. Manga has officially taken over based on sales as well. Marvel & DC are no longer top dog. When a Spawn issue is seeing lots of success & Marvel & DC has not reached that height in a long time you know Marvel & DC are doing something wrong. Comics will always be around in some form or another. But Manga is where its at now essentially

I haven’t bought any superhero comics in ages. My money goes toward mostly new IP from Image, Dark Horse, and other companies (Boom, Titan, etc.) and the rare manga. I imagine they’re not the big sellers but I’m glad they exist. I was on a kick years ago of buying new Star Wars comics but I’ve dropped them.

Walk into any new book store and you’ll see a ton of manga but the vast majority of it is targeted too far below my age. YA romance simulators for the uninitiated. Shonen fighting books. Popular but not for me.

I always found superhero comics a giant pain in the ass to follow with stunt events and crossovers back in the day. (Their movies have gone a similar route i.e. starts to feel like homework or a chore to follow.)

Publishers Weekly - 2020 North American Comics Sales Grow to $1.28 Billion

2020 sales of graphic novels via the bookstore channel were $645 million, while comics shops sold about $440 million, and digital downloads were about $160 million. By format, 2020 graphic novel sales (book format comics) were $835 million; comics periodical sales (traditional comic books) were $285 million; and digital comics sales were about $160 million.

According to the ICv2/Comichron report, sales in the bookstore channel (which includes physical stores and online retailers) increased “dramatically” over comics shop market share; digital sales were “turbocharged,” and the popularity of graphic novels (or book format comics) over periodical comics also continued to grow.

Sales of children’s and young adult graphic novels by mass market and online retailers fueled sales growth in the early stages of the pandemic and as the shutdowns continued, streaming anime drove manga sales to new highs, the report said. Despite high demand for comics early in the year, comics periodical sales were disrupted by the seven-week shutdown of Diamond Comics Distributors, the comics shop market’s principal distributor, and by subsequent production cutbacks by comics periodical publishers.

Last edited:
There’s definitely an over saturation of Batman comics in DC, but there is some serious quality in other titles. The Flash is rocking, Nightwing is crazy good. And Tom King is putting out definitive books about Supergirl and Human Target. And this is after his definitive book about Superman.

Admittedly, comics are kind of pricing themselves out, but quality-wise, I’m really enjoying what is being put out there right now.

Yeah, but isn't most of the comic sales manga? That's what I hear a lot of anyways.

Yeah, but isn't most of the comic sales manga? That's what I hear a lot of anyways.

continued: Thread by @comichron on Thread Reader App

Manga had a major boom in the decade of the 2000s, but took a hit at the turn of the decade when most mall music and video stores closed, along with Borders.

Rebounding in the 2010s, manga's 2021 growth was unprecedented. (But comics that weren't manga also grew dramatically.)

Both manga (mostly Japanese) and non-manga (American) comics are growing in monetary terms, manga is just growing faster.

Even though the pages are generally black and white with manga, they generally offer more content for the money than floppies do with their ~20 color pages and advertisements. Everything has shifted more and more to the graphic novel format that collected volumes and omnibuses and manga all occupy.

Last edited:
Just great to hear. I remember I used to check sales numbers for all my favourite lines back when I was a kid/teen wanting them to stay strong so I could enjoy this hobby for good. :cool:

Rippaverse.com just clocked $1M in presales in 24 hours. Amazing for a brand NEW comic company! I think American comics will see a resurgence with independent creators.

Rippaverse.com just clocked $1M in presales in 24 hours. Amazing for a brand NEW comic company! I think American comics will see a resurgence with independent creators.

Yeah, dipping into the right wing grift is an obvious choice, given how well it works in youtube.

**** the hate group comicsgate.

Yeah, dipping into the right wing grift is an obvious choice, given how well it works in youtube.

**** the hate group comicsgate.

"We need to promote diversity in the comics industry"

*Black man launches his own comic to astronomical success*

"Wait, not like that."

Pandering to right wing "anti-sjw" types is a bad thing. Doesn't matter who does it.

But when Marvel and DC pander to a left-wing audience that isn't buying their books and attack their customers for not supporting them, that's fine? Eric isn't pandering. He's created a product that there is market demand for. Don't blame him. Blame the industry that allowed for his growth.

But when Marvel and DC pander to a left-wing audience that isn't buying their books and attack their customers for not supporting them, that's fine? Eric isn't pandering. He's created a product that there is market demand for. Don't blame him. Blame the industry that allowed for his growth.
There's a lot of things I'll blame the comics industry for. Not pandering enough to regressives isn't one of those things.

"We need to promote diversity in the comics industry"

*Black man launches his own comic to astronomical success*

"Wait, not like that."
Facts. Certain people will not cheer for a black man's success unless he shares their opinions on various matters.

I'm glad for this move by Eric July and hope he brings back entertainment into the comics industry. Already ordered my copy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"