Are morals relative?

DareDemon

Hi! I like shorts!
Reaction score
A recent discussion with a couple of friends made me think what everyone thought. They say everything is inherently right or wrong. I think everything is relative depending on who is viewing it.

All three of us are Christians, but I believe that just because God says it's wrong doesn't make it so. I believe that what is a sin isn't necessarily wrong. I guess I'm a moral relativist and they are moral absolutists.

This does not mean I don't have my own opinions on different morals, just that all morals are good and wrong, depending on how you look at it.

I think someone made a similar thread last week.:ninja:

Then you're not a Christian.

You are a Heathen or Pagan.

Some morals are relative. Like Downloaded music, or other files. But murder is pretty much black, & white.

You wouldn't take a life if it meant saving your family?

I don't consider that murder. I consider that self defense.

You mean someone breaks into my home? I'll use deadly force.

Other than that, no.

it's still murder.:o

Do you really think so? To me, killing and murder, are different. To kill someone in self defense is one thing, but to go out and murder someone for your own reasons, is totally different.

Do you really think so? To me, killing and murder, are different. To kill someone in self defense is one thing, but to go out and murder someone for your own reasons, is totally different.

Legally sure. But I don't feel comfortable with that kind of distinction.

I'm not talking about legalities. I'm talking, morally. Are you saying you'd be uncomfortable killing someone who was attacking your wife or child?

i think morals depend on the society you belong to or are part of.

I'm not talking about legalities. I'm talking, morally. Are you saying you'd be uncomfortable killing someone who was attacking your wife or child?

Not at all. I'm uncomfortable with the definition not the act itself. I mean you can certainly defend yourself without taking a life.

Do my Relatives have Morals??? nah... they are savages!:cmad:

A recent discussion with a couple of friends made me think what everyone thought. They say everything is inherently right or wrong. I think everything is relative depending on who is viewing it.

All three of us are Christians, but I believe that just because God says it's wrong doesn't make it so. I believe that what is a sin isn't necessarily wrong. I guess I'm a moral relativist and they are moral absolutists.

This does not mean I don't have my own opinions on different morals, just that all morals are good and wrong, depending on how you look at it.

"sigh" :csad: :dry: Here we go again...

Not at all. I'm uncomfortable with the definition not the act itself. I mean you can certainly defend yourself without taking a life.
That doesn't answer the question. I can understand that you or anyone would be uncomfortable with killing someone, even if seemingly justified. But would you consider it 'wrong,' to do as in the scenario above?

So there's nothing wrong with me entering your home, blowing your head off and raping the female members of your family?? I mean since there's no right and wrong and all....... :dry:

That doesn't answer the question. I can understand that you or anyone would be uncomfortable with killing someone, even if seemingly justified. But would you consider it 'wrong,' to do as in the scenario above?

No. But that doesn't change the fact that you took a life. You can act like it isn't because you feel justified, but the end result is the same whether you were in danger or not.

I think morals can become relative, given a situation or context. But I believe the nature and standard of morality was set by God Himself, and can not be revoked. We may not like certain rules, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't abide by them.

For example, in my natural mind, I absolutely despise that premarital sex is wrong in God's eyes. I understand the medical and social benefits for avoiding it, but the moral reasons still stump me on an intellectual level. But, out of concern for my health (physically and emotionally), the welfare of any one else, and ultimately my loyalty and love for Christ, I've chosen to remain abstinent until marriage.

No. But that doesn't change the fact that you took a life. You can act like it isn't because you feel justified, but the end result is the same whether you were in danger or not.
True, and I think a lot of people would suffer the trauma of that for a long time, even if justified. I still don't really see your point though. But that's okay. I'm too tired to try to figure it out right now, anyway. :yay: Good night.

True, and I think a lot of people would suffer the trauma of that for a long time, even if justified. I still don't really see your point though. But that's okay. I'm too tired to try to figure it out right now, anyway. :yay: Good night.

My point is just that it's silly to say something like murder is black and white, and then explain that it's ok if it's in self-defense, because then it doesn't really murder. It seems a little hypocritical to me. Wet dreams.:o

My point is just that it's silly to say something like murder is black and white, and then explain that it's ok if it's in self-defense, because then it doesn't really murder. It seems a little hypocritical to me. Wet dreams.:o

Wet dreams? :huh: But it is okay if it's in self defense. Who would it not be okay with? Is this a religious thing or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"