Are morals relative?

So there's nothing wrong with me entering your home, blowing your head off and raping the female members of your family?? I mean since there's no right and wrong and all....... :dry:

Slim, you may want to seek some counseling, buddy. :p

jag

I'd kill for someone I love. Do you know the distinction? I don't, and I don't give a crap. If I killed for someone I love, then I wouldn't care about the distinction -- all I'd care about is that the women or whatever was safe. Screw whoever has an opinion.

This debate has turned into killing. Maybe I did it, maybe someone else did -- it just seems like the easiest way to define this topic.

Would you kill someone for the right reason?

Am I in the right thread?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

For example, in my natural mind, I absolutely despise that premarital sex is wrong in God's eyes. I understand the medical and social benefits for avoiding it, but the moral reasons still stump me on an intellectual level.

I understand how negative premarital sex can be. If i think about all the girls ive been with and the emotional problems leaving them and the ways ive ended it have caused it leads me to alot of regret in my life and i dont have a clear conscience because of it.

aside from self defense i also think its okay to "murder" if it is to prevent someone else from being killed.

aside from self defense i also think its okay to "murder" if it is to prevent someone else from being killed.

I agree. I wouldn't really class that as murder, more like Minority Report lol!

I'd say probably to an extent, but not entirely.

A recent discussion with a couple of friends made me think what everyone thought. They say everything is inherently right or wrong. I think everything is relative depending on who is viewing it.

All three of us are Christians, but I believe that just because God says it's wrong doesn't make it so. I believe that what is a sin isn't necessarily wrong. I guess I'm a moral relativist and they are moral absolutists.

This does not mean I don't have my own opinions on different morals, just that all morals are good and wrong, depending on how you look at it.
Well said.

IMO Everything is relative. There is no such thing as "Black and White" It's all gray.

I disagree. No matter how you look at it, raping a child is wrong. Killing a child is wrong. Just to name a couple extreme examples. I believe there are times when evil is simply evil.

I disagree. No matter how you look at it, raping a child is wrong. Killing a child is wrong. Just to name a couple extreme examples. I believe there are times when evil is simply evil.

to you.

No, morals are absolute, but no one has any idea what those absolutes are, so it really doesn't pay to think about it.

No, morals are absolute, but no one has any idea what those absolutes are, so it really doesn't pay to think about it.
so how do you even know these absolute morals exist?

so how do you even know these absolute morals exist?
In a cosmic sense, there is probably a correct answer in any situation, depending, of course, upon the presupposition of what is a moral outcome. But all of that's impossible to determine, so the question itself is pointless.

In a cosmic sense, there is probably a correct answer in any situation, depending, of course, upon the presupposition of what is a moral outcome. But all of that's impossible to determine, so the question itself is pointless.

Why does there have be an answer at all?

Morals, the hard and fast ones-have no deviation.
The world is 100X more Black and White than Gray.
NOTHING IS new under the sun. Sure you think cause people 50, 200, 1500 years ago didn't have an Ipod-they wern't into things that we are today. Total BS.
Satan wants you to think EVERYTHING is cool

Morals, the hard and fast ones-have no deviation.
The world is 100X more Black and White than Gray.
NOTHING IS new under the sun. Sure you think cause people 50, 200, 1500 years ago didn't have an Ipod-they wern't into things that we are today. Total BS.
Satan wants you to think EVERYTHING is cool
Who are you?

Why does there have be an answer at all?
Oh...you're one of those.

A question is pointless if no answer can be found for it. There is no reason to ask such a question, or at least to pursue it after you've discovered that there's no answer. The point of a question is to FIND THE ANSWER.

Oh...you're one of those.

A question is pointless if no answer can be found for it. There is no reason to ask such a question, or at least to pursue it after you've discovered that there's no answer. The point of a question is to FIND THE ANSWER.

Then there are millions of pointless questions, and nonexistent answers being pursued.:o

You're saying there's some objective answer, but for what reason?:huh:

we're going in circles.:o

My perspective is that God set the standard of morality long ago, and all the confusion throughout the ages has been because of mankind trying to redefine it.

Then there are millions of pointless questions, and nonexistent answers being pursued.:o
Pointless question: How can we prove God?

Not a pointless question: Hey, do I want beer or whiskey tonight?

Abaddon said:
You're saying there's some objective answer, but for what reason?:huh:
I'm convinced there are objective answers, but human beings have no chance at defining a lot of them.

Abaddon said:
we're going in circles.:o
I bet that happens to you a lot.

My perspective is that God set the standard of morality long ago, and all the confusion throughout the ages has been because of mankind trying to redefine it.
What is it with you people who cheapen God in such a manner as to suggest you have ANY idea what God thinks?

Aristotle said:
Not a pointless question: Hey, do I want beer or whiskey tonight?
Answer: I don't care.
pointless or not?:huh:

I'm convinced there are objective answers, but human beings have no chance at defining a lot of them.
You're convinced based on what? Or is it pointless to ask?

I bet that happens to you a lot.

Not really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"