Are morals relative?

Oh, well then there's nothing we can do about that. If he had raped you in the kitchen. I was going to tell Jesus, then Him, Buddha, and Muhammed could arrest him.

My moms is extremely edgy about profanity. Me and my sister were arguing immensely the other day, and I got extremely pissed due to my being angry about something earlier that day and went to the b-word, which I never do. She tells my mom, who in turn is on the verge of crying, and says that was a very immoral thing for me to do. Granted, we're all patched up now, but that's her take on immoral things...worst thing to do is use profanity, especially involving the fam.

My moms is extremely edgy about profanity. Me and my sister were arguing immensely the other day, and I got extremely pissed due to my being angry about something earlier that day and went to the b-word, which I never do. She tells my mom, who in turn is on the verge of crying, and says that was a very immoral thing for me to do. Granted, we're all patched up now, but that's her take on immoral things...worst thing to do is use profanity, especially involving the fam.
I'm going to start of with: "Moms" how many mother's do you have? Is this a harem situation where you have a very lucky father, or is it a lesbian type one where Dad's gone and it's just Mom and Mom?

second... could you clear up your langauge? "I got extremely pissed due to my being angry about..." This is redundant. I was angry about something that happened earlier. That one sentence was all you needed.

Third... and this one isn't criticism, just making sure I understand you. Your mother started crying because you used the B-word? She says it's immoral to use the B-word?

Well take her a copy of the Bill of rights, and point out freedom of speech. and then call her a wahrpoofy. Sound's nice right? It's a word I just made up... It means *****, but it's not the word *****.

I'm going to start of with: "Moms" how many mother's do you have? Is this a harem situation where you have a very lucky father, or is it a lesbian type one where Dad's gone and it's just Mom and Mom?

second... could you clear up your langauge? "I got extremely pissed due to my being angry about..." This is redundant. I was angry about something that happened earlier. That one sentence was all you needed.

Third... and this one isn't criticism, just making sure I understand you. Your mother started crying because you used the B-word? She says it's immoral to use the B-word?

Well take her a copy of the Bill of rights, and point out freedom of speech. and then call her a wahrpoofy. Sound's nice right? It's a word I just made up... It means *****, but it's not the word *****.

I'm black. That should explain everything. I doubt it's the same in your family.

From the viewpoint of a completely nonreligious person, morality is extremely relevant in human relations and within a societal fabric.

Peoples view on morality is extremely skewed and has been distorted with time and religious teachings more rooted in populous control rather than real issues of right and wrong.

If all people around the world would adhere to the Golden Rule and “Do unto other as you would have them do unto you.” Most of the world’s ills would be solved, that which is between consenting adults would not be persecuted, and the moral foundation of mankind would not be the cracked and warped a surface as the one on which we teeter now.

All of the other crap people try and make their arguments on is nothing more than one group with a particular belief trying to bend everyone else to their will and view of the world.

I'm black. That should explain everything. I doubt it's the same in your family.
I don't give a larp if you're purple. You're a goddamn american. You will be held to decent standards of grammar.

And your Mom still sounds puritanical regarding expletives.

I don't give a larp if you're purple. You're a goddamn american.<single space after period> You will be held to decent standards of grammar.
God damn*
American*

And your Mom still sounds puritanical regarding expletives.

It's grammatically gauche to start a sentence with "and."

:o

A recent discussion with a couple of friends made me think what everyone thought. They say everything is inherently right or wrong. I think everything is relative depending on who is viewing it.

All three of us are Christians, but I believe that just because God says it's wrong doesn't make it so. I believe that what is a sin isn't necessarily wrong. I guess I'm a moral relativist and they are moral absolutists.

This does not mean I don't have my own opinions on different morals, just that all morals are good and wrong, depending on how you look at it.

??
(heavy editing to not come across offensive.)

Morals are based on society and culture.

If you were raised to believe that it was right and proper to kill your father and sex your sister as an upstanding male in your society,... you would see it as "right".

And in your culture "you would be."

Within a society where such a thing is true,... just because you don't want to kill dad or sleep with Sis doesn't make your wants in anyway "relatively good."

You sin against your belief system by not giving your family proper respect by killing one and sexing the other.

So,............... Your deciding to pick and choose which activities are "sinfull or not" is tantamount to telling God which laws you will follow and he's supposed to accept your ruling on each one because of how you feel.

Meh,.. I expect as I read this I will see variations on this theme.

V.

define murder.

Killing in self defense is not "murder".

Period.

sigh......:whatever:

You have no excuse to roll your eyes. You have no proof outside of the bible to back up your statements.

Oh Dear. Wilhelm and Krit have got Religion in their nostrils. Now they're going to try and tell people what they believe diregarding the fact that people as individuals have differing views and differing interpretations even within the same religion. And that we admit to being flawed beings who ATTEMPT to be like God and Jesus, but ultimately fail. They'll also neglect to realize that for these reasons Catholics created the sacrament of reconciliation.

We can't help it, we're allergic to faith based statements that are paraded around as fact.

God damn*
American*

It's grammatically gauche to start a sentence with "and."

:o
I like you... and though it is often taught as wrong, it is not a firm rule that you cannot begin a sentence with a conjunction.

You have no excuse to roll your eyes. You have no proof outside of the bible to back up your statements.

We can't help it, we're allergic to faith based statements that are paraded around as fact.
Get 'em Krit. I agree. When you take something on faith, you should admit it.

Zoken said:
So saying you put your faith in Christ isn't saying that you've "done enough" to get into Heaven? Saying "I'm a Christian" isn't saying "I've done enough" to get into Heaven? That isn't even the sort of thing I was talking about, but there's a small hole in your argument.
Simply put, Jesus stressed the fact that no human for any reason can enter Heaven solely by their own merit. Every one of us have sinned in some way, and thus fallen short of God's glory. Because of that, we needed a Savior to be our intercessor, and God provided one by sending Jesus Christ to take our penalty.

So it isn't just faith in him, like you said above. There also has to be repentance. Is that the Path?
You're confusing "a way to God" and "a path to God". Strictly speaking, there is no path to God, because a "path" is something you travel by your own strength alone, to reach a specific destination. People trying to earn their way into Heaven by doing good deeds are still trying to be "good enough", when Jesus said that the human heart contains all sorts of evil. In God's eyes, we are fallen, and thus not worthy of His Kingdom on our own. But by placing our faith in Christ as Lord and Savior, God washes away our sins, and welcomes us with open arms because His Son paid the price, and we reap the eternal rewards.

You do know the Buddha didn't sway people from Christianity right? He drew people from Hinduism.
It still doesn't change the fact the he was teaching people to trust solely in themselves for higher understanding...and as I've mentioned earlier, that's like playing with matches and hoping not to get burned.

Galatians is a letter written by the apostle Paul, correct? This means that It was written by a human, and as you have pointed out numerous times... humans are flawed and fallible.
Paul transcribed many books in the New Testament, including the letter to the Galatians. However, Paul makes distinct points in Corinthians, saying that some of his words are his own, and the rest have been instructed by God. Personally, I figure that if God has enough power to create the cosmos, He's definitely strong enough to influence people so His intentions are loud and clear.

Does your god damn to bad place people who have never heard the message of Christ or any Abrahamic religion?
First off, God did not create bad place with the intention or purpose of it being populated by humans. bad place was created for Satan and the angels who fell with him. But God also knows that sin equals eternal death, and the only way of escape is through a completely pure sacrifice. Humans can't do that, because of our fallen nature. So, as mentioned before, God sent Jesus to fulfill that purpose. Thanks to Him, we now have the choice to either repent before God and have faith in Him for salvation, or reject Him and receive our original punishment in bad place by default.

Ultimately, it's not God's call where we wind up after death, because He gave us the choice, and will honor it either way. Abraham himself worshiped God before Christ's time, and God blessed his entire line of descendants. David was called "a man after God's own heart", and I sincerely doubt they'd wind up in bad place, because they showed genuine remorse and repentance. For those who have never heard about Christ, I think God checks their hearts. If they've lived their lives in service to Him, then I think He honors that. But for those who've heard about Jesus even once, then they have no excuse. They know what's required, and the choice rests with them.

Actually you're right, it was Fish-Bulb who tried to tell me who I believed.

Don't lie dude, It's unbecoming.
I simply told that you couldn't be a "true catholic" and believe the things you said you believed in.

so, again, I didn't tell you "who you believed":huh: I told you that IF you really believed in what you said you did, you could not call yourself a true "catholic"

Simply put, Jesus stressed the fact that no human for any reason can enter Heaven solely by their own merit. Every one of us have sinned in some way, and thus fallen short of God's glory. Because of that, we needed a Savior to be our intercessor, and God provided one by sending Jesus Christ to take our penalty.
Do you need shoes or special classes to dance around my actual question that well? By the way.

You're confusing "a way to God" and "a path to God". Strictly speaking, there is no path to God, because a "path" is something you travel by your own strength alone, to reach a specific destination. People trying to earn their way into Heaven by doing good deeds are still trying to be "good enough", when Jesus said that the human heart contains all sorts of evil. In God's eyes, we are fallen, and thus not worthy of His Kingdom on our own. But by placing our faith in Christ as Lord and Savior, God washes away our sins, and welcomes us with open arms because His Son paid the price, and we reap the eternal rewards.
Actually the difference between "Way" and "Path" is that "Path" is more specific and narrow. a "Way" is a general direction.

It still doesn't change the fact the he was teaching people to trust solely in themselves for higher understanding...and as I've mentioned earlier, that's like playing with matches and hoping not to get burned.
You really don't get that Buddha had no idea about Christianity. You condemn people that had no idea that the Abrahamic God even existed, much less that he had a son.

Paul transcribed many books in the New Testament, including the letter to the Galatians. However, Paul makes distinct points in Corinthians, saying that some of his words are his own, and the rest have been instructed by God. Personally, I figure that if God has enough power to create the cosmos, He's definitely strong enough to influence people so His intentions are loud and clear.
Did Paul have free will or not? He's human and flawed. THe fact that he translated the books (and wrote some) are why people think the bible is unreliable.

First off, God did not create bad place with the intention or purpose of it being populated by humans. bad place was created for Satan and the angels who fell with him. But God also knows that sin equals eternal death, and the only way of escape is through a completely pure sacrifice. Humans can't do that, because of our fallen nature. So, as mentioned before, God sent Jesus to fulfill that purpose. Thanks to Him, we now have the choice to either repent before God and have faith in Him for salvation, or reject Him and receive our original punishment in bad place by default.
Seriously, take that dancing around the question to TV... a presidential debate or something. Do people who've never heard of the Abrahamic God or Jesus Christ go to Heaven or bad place according to your Christianity?

Ultimately, it's not God's call where we wind up after death, because He gave us the choice, and will honor it either way. Abraham himself worshiped God before Christ's time, and God blessed his entire line of descendants. David was called "a man after God's own heart", and I sincerely doubt they'd wind up in bad place, because they showed genuine remorse and repentance. For those who have never heard about Christ, I think God checks their hearts. If they've lived their lives in service to Him, then I think He honors that. But for those who've heard about Jesus even once, then they have no excuse. They know what's required, and the choice rests with them.
Not God's call? I'm sorry, who judges us then? We make the choice, yes, But we are sentenced by someone else.

Oh, and Fish-Bulb... I'm not arguing with you.

Every action... every second... we're either doing the right thing or the wrong thing. We can feel in our heart which is which if we stop and try.

Good and evil are not relative.

Neitzche was wrong because he was merely an empiricist. Gathering empiricle evidence is good but to make it the totality of your reasoning is to miss out on all possibility of spirituality.

So, to sum up: Bad Fred, Bad!

Every action... every second... we're either doing the right thing or the wrong thing. We can feel in our heart which is which if we stop and try.

Good and evil are not relative.

Neitzche was wrong because he was merely an empiricist. Gathering empiricle evidence is good but to make it the totality of your reasoning is to miss out on all possibility of spirituality.

So, to sum up: Bad Fred, Bad!

we may have evolved a sense of good or bad, but that doesn't make them absolute.

I said nothing about absolutes. Things are or aren't. Even a vacuum consists of positive and negative charges.

absolute is the opposite of relative. by making claims about whether something was relative or not, you were also making claims about if it was absolute or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"