Are there any women in the industry?

Anita18

DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
Reaction score
A friend and I submitted a comic for a women-only anthology, and we were immediately accepted. I had always figured that it was a contest of sorts, but it seems that they were accepting all of the submissions. Apparently there are even less women in comics than I had previously assumed. :oldrazz:

And then I got to wondering - how many women are actually in the industry anyway? My coworker (who's familiar with the superhero genre) could not think of even a single female writer or artist. I can't think of a lot of women who do general graphic novels either. At most they do webcomics and submit short comics in a cutesy style.

What would you think if a woman wanted to break into the superhero genre? (I'm not really asking for myself, since I think the superhero genre is too large and stifling to really allow for creative freedom, but I've been thinking about this..)

There's a few. Off the top of my head...

Writers:
Gail Simone (Birds of Prey, Villains United, The All-New Atom)
Devin Grayson (Nightwing, Gotham Knights)
Denise Mina (Hellblazer)
Jodi Picoult (soon-to-be writer of Wonder Woman)

Artists:
Amanda Conner (Supergirl)

Inkers:
Rachel Dodson (Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Evil That Men Do)

Editors:
Joan Hilty (editor of Flash, Blue Beetle, Checkmate, Manhunter, and Outsiders)
Rachel Gluckstern (Associate editor for DC)
Jann Jones (Coordinating Editor for DC)
Simona Martore (Executive assistant for DC)
Jeanine Schaefer (Associate Editor of Supergirl, Superman/Batman, Teen Titans, and Justice League)

And we can't forget Jenette Kahn was Publisher, President and Editor-in-chief of DC for over 20 years.

Personally, I have no problem with women working on comics. If they're talented in whatever they do, the more the merrier, I say.

EDIT: I just found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_comics

Anita18 said:
A friend and I submitted a comic for a women-only anthology, and we were immediately accepted. I had always figured that it was a contest of sorts, but it seems that they were accepting all of the submissions. Apparently there are even less women in comics than I had previously assumed. :oldrazz:

And then I got to wondering - how many women are actually in the industry anyway? My coworker (who's familiar with the superhero genre) could not think of even a single female writer or artist. I can't think of a lot of women who do general graphic novels either. At most they do webcomics and submit short comics in a cutesy style.

What would you think if a woman wanted to break into the superhero genre? (I'm not really asking for myself, since I think the superhero genre is too large and stifling to really allow for creative freedom, but I've been thinking about this..)

There's no problem, I think. Although, slightly off topic, I wouldn't call super heroes a genre, as super heroes can fit almost any genre. Sci fi, western, fantasy epic, gothic, crime noir, war, thriller, espionoge, horor, and comedy have all been used in super hero books at one point or another.

CConn said:
Devin Grayson (Nightwing, Gotham Knights)

Quick question: is that her real last name, or was that intentional?

Andy C. said:
Considering she doesn't know a damn thing about proper characterization of Dick Grayson, it better be real. :o

CConn said:
Considering she doesn't know a damn thing about proper characterization of Dick Grayson, it better be real. :o

Aw, c'mon. Her initial Nightwing stories were pretty good.

The Question said:
Aw, c'mon. Her initial Nightwing stories were pretty good.
Okay, tell me how this looks...
CConn said:
Considering she doesn't know a damn thing about proper characterization of Dick Grayson after her initial Nightwing stories, it better be real. :o
It just isn't as snappy, is it?

CConn said:
There's a few. Off the top of my head...
Jeezus, that's more than a few, LOL! Thanks for the info - that's really kickass. I read a few of their bios and it's pretty funny how some of those women say that they were introduced to comics later in life, cause I just discovered the medium about a year ago as well. :)

Yes, I knew that "superhero genre" was a bit vague, but I guess I mean any of the large flagship publications, where you have a set way of doing things. Most of the comic book industry does cater to superheroes, after all...

I doubt women will ever have a firm hold on comics,or a steady foothold in the industry either.I can imagine some things would change,but a lot will remain the same.Female main characters in a comic?It will sell,but she needs to be atractive,otherwise some might not even bother.

I wouldn't exactly say your coworker is familiar with the genre if he/she couldn't even think of a single writer or artist.

Jourmugand said:
I doubt women will ever have a firm hold on comics,or a steady foothold in the industry either.I can imagine some things would change,but a lot will remain the same.Female main characters in a comic?It will sell,but she needs to be atractive,otherwise some might not even bother.

That's a rather narrow viewpoint. That's assuming that comics will, forever more, cator mostly to creeper nerds who don't get laid.

had to look through my comics but gina going and june chung did the colours for ultimate x men 'magical'
it s a little scandalous to see so many men outnumber women.in comics i expect more men but not 10 to 1.
and with women in positions of power in supergirl you'd think they'd make her skirt longer

Dope Nose said:
I wouldn't exactly say your coworker is familiar with the genre if he/she couldn't even think of a single writer or artist.
More familiar than me, that's for sure! I suspect that he knows general things, but doesn't keep up with the new stuff quite as well. Or maybe he's a chauvinist pig and doesn't realize it. :oldrazz:

I guess the whole "fanboy" image will always keep most women out of mainstream comics. I was always dubious at the need for every superhero have the same body type, and I'm especially dubious at the need for women to be caricatures of your typical Playboy model. I understand this sells well to average teenage boys though...;)

I was surprised that there are still so many more men than women doing alternative comics too. I'm not much of a reader of prose-only books, and I find that I identify more with stories told in graphic-novel form. I dunno, I just thought there would be more women who felt like I did.

Anita18 said:
I guess the whole "fanboy" image will always keep most women out of mainstream comics. I was always dubious at the need for every superhero have the same body type, and I'm especially dubious at the need for women to be caricatures of your typical Playboy model. I understand this sells well to average teenage boys though...;)

Well, in super hero comics it is, for the most part, understadible, as super heroes are regulary engaging in physically streignuous activity, so they should be in very good physical condition.

Anita18 said:
I was surprised that there are still so many more men than women doing alternative comics too. I'm not much of a reader of prose-only books, and I find that I identify more with stories told in graphic-novel form. I dunno, I just thought there would be more women who felt like I did.

Well, things certainly are getting better. More and more women are getting into both reader and creating comics, as they are starting to realize that comics aren't just for creepy guys who lack social skills, just as alot of critics are starting to see comics as a viable creative medium instead of simply cheap entertainment.

The Question said:
Well, in super hero comics it is, for the most part, understadible, as super heroes are regulary engaging in physically streignuous activity, so they should be in very good physical condition.
Still doesn't explain how the women should all have 23-inch waists and DD breasts. :oldrazz: I personally wouldn't know, but some of my well-endowed female friends have told me that they're a real pain in the ass (literally) when doing any physical activity. This may be TMI, but one of them wears two (yes, two, I can't imagine) sports bras when doing tae kwon do. It would make more sense for a really active woman to be built like a gymnast. But we can't abandon the teenage male demographic, who overwhelmingly prefer le bouncing boobehs.

The Question said:
Well, things certainly are getting better. More and more women are getting into both reader and creating comics, as they are starting to realize that comics aren't just for creepy guys who lack social skills, just as alot of critics are starting to see comics as a viable creative medium instead of simply cheap entertainment.
This reminded me of an instance in Border's recently where I found two high-school girls arguing over character cameos in a Marvel comic book, in 100% valley-girl speak. Tickled me pink, since I hadn't heard of most the characters they were talking about...

Anita18 said:
Still doesn't explain how the women should all have 23-inch waists and DD breasts. :oldrazz: I personally wouldn't know, but some of my well-endowed female friends have told me that they're a real pain in the ass (literally) when doing any physical activity. This may be TMI, but one of them wears two (yes, two, I can't imagine) sports bras when doing tae kwon do. It would make more sense for a really active woman to be built like a gymnast. But we can't abandon the teenage male demographic, who overwhelmingly prefer le bouncing boobehs.

Well, it isn't always like that. Some artists, like Terry Dodson and Adam Hughs to enjoy drawing women to be rather well endowed. But alot of artists are at least somewhat more realistic in that regard. That's not to say that they don't draw women with nice racks, but at least they're not massive.

Anita18 said:
This reminded me of an instance in Border's recently where I found two high-school girls arguing over character cameos in a Marvel comic book, in 100% valley-girl speak. Tickled me pink, since I hadn't heard of most the characters they were talking about...

That is probably the single funniest thing I've heard all day.

Still, it's understandible. There's a girl at my school who is the farthest thing from a comic book geek you could ever imagine. Yet, she's a big fan of Neil Gaimain's Sandman (which is entirely understandible, as it rocks to the heavens). Most women who read comics seem to be drawn to the more personal, character driven books (which makes sense, since statistically that's the same for movies, TV, and books aswell). Sandman and it's spin offs are perfect examples of that. Alot of Jeph Loeb's stuff, like Daredevil: Yellow, Spider-Man: Blue, and Superman: For All Seasons are super hero books that have a certian "female" apeal aswell.

The Question said:
Still, it's understandible. There's a girl at my school who is the farthest thing from a comic book geek you could ever imagine. Yet, she's a big fan of Neil Gaimain's Sandman (which is entirely understandible, as it rocks to the heavens). Most women who read comics seem to be drawn to the more personal, character driven books (which makes sense, since statistically that's the same for movies, TV, and books aswell). Sandman and it's spin offs are perfect examples of that. Alot of Jeph Loeb's stuff, like Daredevil: Yellow, Spider-Man: Blue, and Superman: For All Seasons are super hero books that have a certian "female" apeal aswell.
How did the male slant come about, anyway? Just from the influx of superheroes and action comics?

Pretty much. Plus it doesn't help how alot of comic fans act too.

Anita18 said:
How did the male slant come about, anyway? Just from the influx of superheroes and action comics?

Pretty much. Action usually equals a high male audience. Still, through both the cultural norms changing (it's "okay" for guys to like deep, emotional stuff as it is "okay" for girls to like action and sensless violence), and the medium expanding it's focus, that had begun to change.

Andy C. said:
When Bruce Jones was announced at a panal as writer of the Hulk, people started laughing because they thought it was a joke...

Nobody has yet mentioned Pia Guerra, regular artist on Y - The Last Man, or Colleen Doran - best known for A Distant Soil, but I liked her best on Orbiter (that's just cause I like Ellis, though). I mean, just the cover is awe-inspiringly beautiful

59096568956.1.GIF

I'm also friend-of-a-friend with Molly Lazur, who's an Assistant Editor at Marvel. There's Fiona Avery, and Laura Allred. Louise Simonson, Jill Thompson, Jo Chen (:-):drool:: I want one of her Runaways covers soooo bad, but she doesn't sell her work :( ) Leah Moore (Alan Moore's daughter) Melinda Gebbie, Cconn mentioned Gail and Amanda.

She's not well known, but I really like this writer/artist named Colleen Coover, she does really cute stuff

thats a gorgeous cover- i wish i could get into comic art- with the emegence of realism it really fits my style- i'm still learning though

I know, absolutely stunning. There's this picture on one of the interior pages of a characater looking out at the reader, and he has the most haunting look on his face I have ever seen, it nearly broke through the fourth wall

have you posted any of your stuff here?

and who's to say you can't?

i'm gonna try and do some stuff over christmas- i'm in art college so its difficult to get the time. I pretty much do things the same way as alex ross -with gouache paints and all- my achilles heal is my drawing- there isn't any comic stuff on my deviant art page either. i'll post when i have something cool

04nbod said:
thats a gorgeous cover- i wish i could get into comic art- with the emegence of realism it really fits my style- i'm still learning though
That is indeed a gorgeous cover. I don't think that there are any styles that "comic art" is relegated to, though, at least not now. There's a little bit of everything. You just need to know how to tell a story.

I greatly admire Dave McKean since he does really cool things with collage and photography and paint and God knows what. If I were to get into comics, that's what I would try and do. Not that I'm any good at experimental stuff, but I think it's really cool and I might as well try, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"