The Grayhaven Comics Megathread

Marcdachamp

Sidekick
Reaction score
So, for those of you not in the know, Grayhaven Comics is a newer publisher that's been making some pretty decent size waves, as of late. Grayhaven Comics started out as a mini-anthology but has grown by leaps and bounds in the last year. We already have 4 issues under our belt (with 4 more due out this year), and 4 weekly webcomics (one of which I write).

We also have a plethora of books on the way. Our schedule for 2012 is PACKED with books:

•Volume 8 – Science Fiction - January 2012
•Volume 9- Fairy Tales- February 2012
•Volume 10- Adventure- March 2012
•Volume 11- The Silver Age- April 2012
•Volume 12- All Women Issue - May 2012
•Volume 13 – Young Reader Issue – July 2012
•Volume 14- Mystery- August 2012
•Volume 15 – Horror 3 – October 2012
•Volume 16 - Western - Novemeber 2012
•Volume 17- Romance 2 - December 2012

GrayHaven One Shots

•My Geek Family - June 2012 – Doug Hahner and Donal DeLay
•Sparks - September 2012 – Glenn Matchett and Cassandra James
•The Dark Anthology – Fall 2012
•Kid Robo Collected Edition – Spring 2012
•DEcomPRESSIONism Collected Edition – Summer 2012
•Daring Speculative Fiction Collected Edition – Fall 2012
•AOI Sayonara Collected Edition – Winter 2012

GrayHaven Mini Series

•Ever After- October 2011-June 2012- Matt O’Keefe and Lee Giles

The best part is, we're always looking for more talent! If you're interested, come to our website at www.grayhavencomics.com and check out our submission information. Who knows? You could even end up published in the same volume as a pro in the industry! Our second volume featured a story by Gail Simone, of DC Comic fame!

So, has anyone had a chance to check out Grayhaven or The Gathering, yet? What do you guys think?

Thanks Mark. Very pleased with how the year is gone. And I've loved finding all these great new creators like yourself.

Just wait till NYCC when we announce all of the great pros that are going to be contributing in 2012. Gonna be a real special year for the book

I think I actually submitted some ideas to that before, but never got accepted. I think I donated in the past and got an issue, but can't quite remember. Don't think I have this year, though, but probably will. Guess I'll submit some ideas again, too.

I think I actually submitted some ideas to that before, but never got accepted. I think I donated in the past and got an issue, but can't quite remember. Don't think I have this year, though, but probably will. Guess I'll submit some ideas again, too.

Well, first off, we appreciate EVERY donation we get. So let me say thank you! Every dollar we get leads to more creative talent finding an outlet.

And you really should submit again. You learn more from every pitch.

Oh, I'll definitely pitch something soon. I'm hoping to break into the industry in some way and so few places take unsolicited submissions (especially from just writers) nowadays that I have to keep track with everything I can in that regard.

Oh, I'll definitely pitch something soon. I'm hoping to break into the industry in some way and so few places take unsolicited submissions (especially from just writers) nowadays that I have to keep track with everything I can in that regard.

It's honestly incredibly rare to find, which is what makes Grayhaven such a refreshing thing. We're all working towards the same thing: creating new opportunities for new creators. It's been a dream of mine to work in the industry since I was 7 or 8. My first print story should be in my hands shortly (I make my print debut in vol. 4) and I think I might get a little bit misty-eyed.

It's Monday, which means Kid Robo day at www.grayhavencomics.com ! Kid Robo is our first webcomic through the week and it's written by myself (Marc Deschamps) and illustrated by Chris Chamberlain. It follows the adventures of a young robot and his genius giraffe side-kick. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Today is Tuesday, so it's DEcomPRESSIONism day at www.grayhavencomics.com ! DEcomPRESSIONism is the brainchild of writer and artist John M. Coker, Grayhaven's Art Director. His weekly strip features snappy dialogue that feels a little bit like Brian Michael Bendis and a little bit like Kevin Smith. Johnny will humbly disagree, though. :cwink:

For those folks interested in submitting for some of next year's volumes there's only about a week left. Guidelines are at the link-
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/submit/

It's a great opportunity for new writers and artists not only to get published for the first time but to have your work featured in volumes by pros. We'll be revealing some pretty spectacular names come NYCC of creators doing some work with us.

If you've ever thought about submitting, as a writer or an artist, now's the time to do it.

Today is Thursday which means another installment of Aoi Sayonara over at our website! Aoi Sayonara is a surrealist romp beautifully illustrated and written by Grayhaven vet Kent Holle. Fans of Alice in Wonderland will definitely want to check out this strip. Kent flexes his creative muscles, giving us a world of flying fish fighter pilots, (literal) falling stars and more.

Here's a quick question in regards to submitting. You note that you probably shouldn't bother submitting if you haven't both the book in the past, which is understandable, but I usually submit via my college e-mail address, but the paypal I've used to buy stuff is connected to another e-mail address. Is it safe to assume then that I should just submit with that one?

Here's a quick question in regards to submitting. You note that you probably shouldn't bother submitting if you haven't both the book in the past, which is understandable, but I usually submit via my college e-mail address, but the paypal I've used to buy stuff is connected to another e-mail address. Is it safe to assume then that I should just submit with that one?

Great question and I'll check back because those 'rules' may have been written incorrectly. The Gathering is open to all new writers and artists. We want new people. We want an influx of great new creators sharing their work with us and getting to publish that. But of course now that we've put out 4 (with a 5th at the printers) we get a lot of repeat creators. Some pitching 15 page mega epics spread out over the course of 4 issues but they haven't bothered to read a comic yet :)

So no, that clause is only for those who have done some stories with us before and are looking to return. Creators who've never worked for us before can come in with a clean slate so please submit again.

Looking good Mr. Champ. :)

I'm really pleased with how they all came out. They'll be taking a break hiatus in a couple weeks 'between seasons' while we try out about a dozen new webcomics for a couple months but I'm sure you'll see some specials from our current roster throughout so you don't forget about em all.

I look forward to seeing more from the minds of the webcomic creators, but I am also really excited what the next crop of webcomic hopefuls will be presenting. It's going to be really fun.

Great question and I'll check back because those 'rules' may have been written incorrectly. The Gathering is open to all new writers and artists. We want new people. We want an influx of great new creators sharing their work with us and getting to publish that. But of course now that we've put out 4 (with a 5th at the printers) we get a lot of repeat creators. Some pitching 15 page mega epics spread out over the course of 4 issues but they haven't bothered to read a comic yet :)

So no, that clause is only for those who have done some stories with us before and are looking to return. Creators who've never worked for us before can come in with a clean slate so please submit again.

Yeah, it prevents people from simply using the whole thing selfishly. Really, we just want people to support the company that supports them. You have a couple stories published, you should definitely buy a couple issues. It's just as simple as that. No need for any first timers to be intimidated by it.

Also, thanks Roman!

Was just talking to Chamberlain today. That guy is great to work with, isn't he?

Although I'm sure you already knew that.

I hope he's a giant in the future ... oh yeah, you too. ;)

Was just talking to Chamberlain today. That guy is great to work with, isn't he?

Although I'm sure you already knew that.

I hope he's a giant in the future ... oh yeah, you too. ;)

Quit trying to steal my Chamberlain, Roman!!! :cmad:

He did show me his original art for your story this weekend and it looked quite nice.

Also, thanks, I hope so too. :woot:

Just got my copy of vol. 4 the other day. Haven't finished reading it yet, but the Tipper Ripper story is my early favorite. I'd love to see that character come back. Just such a cool idea with beautiful art. Also, anyone that's ever waited tables or worked customer service has DREAMED of this. :woot:

Quit trying to steal my Chamberlain, Roman!!! :cmad:

He did show me his original art for your story this weekend and it looked quite nice.

Also, thanks, I hope so too. :woot:

We're planning to work together again soon. Just thought you should know. :p

I actually had two of my pitches accepted for the magazine, so I'm pretty excited. I did have a question, though, if you don't mind answering Marcdacchamp. I was kind of wondering about the format of the script. The main thing I'm a little unsure of is how to break up pages. Some places seem to say you should always start a new page from each comic page script, but others don't seem to adhere to that. I only have two pages, so I doubt it's a huge issue or anything, but I just want everything to be as perfect as it can.

I actually had two of my pitches accepted for the magazine, so I'm pretty excited. I did have a question, though, if you don't mind answering Marcdacchamp. I was kind of wondering about the format of the script. The main thing I'm a little unsure of is how to break up pages. Some places seem to say you should always start a new page from each comic page script, but others don't seem to adhere to that. I only have two pages, so I doubt it's a huge issue or anything, but I just want everything to be as perfect as it can.

Hey, congratulations! What volumes will you be appearing in?

Also, I NEVER mind answering Grayhaven questions! As far as scripts go, I think Brian Michael Bendis put it best when he said that there is no wrong way to write one. If you feel that having each "page" on a seperate page of script looks best, go for it, but that's certainly not a requirement as far as we're concerned.

I got pitches accepted for the Fairy Tale and Romance books.

And thanks for the advice on the script. I mainly want everything to look as polished as it can for my potential first foray into published comics and such.

Oh, yeah, and I guess I was kind of curious about things like lettering and dialouge, too. Will all that stuff be done by the editor(s) or is that stuff I'll have to do? I'm really not familiar with that aspect of comics writing at all, to tell the truth.

Oh, yeah, and I guess I was kind of curious about things like lettering and dialouge, too. Will all that stuff be done by the editor(s) or is that stuff I'll have to do? I'm really not familiar with that aspect of comics writing at all, to tell the truth.

Your artist will handle lettering. I would assume you'd be writing your own dialogue, or at least work with your artist on that.

You're welcome on the advice. Don't be afraid to ask. We're all just as devoted to making the entire package look professional, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"