Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

It does seem like Snowden's options are dwindling. Russia isn't crazy about him crashing in their airport. Ecuador wants nothing to do with him. Cuba gave him the cold shoulder... Venezuela isn't taking his calls, and Iceland is ducking him like they owe him child support.

Well, there's still Iran I suppose.

No no, he's not applying for asylum in Iran (I think...), I'm just saying it's probably the only place left that will take him.

And it's not all bad. The food's good. And... uh. At least it ain't North Korea?

No no, he's not applying for asylum in Iran (I think...), I'm just saying it's probably the only place left that will take him.

And it's not all bad. The food's good. And... uh. At least it ain't North Korea?

I could see Cuba taking him. Venezuela might as well, just to piss us off...lol Their new President said he was a hero, so I could see him going there.

Is Iran better than North Korea?

Oh definitely. Let me put it this way, Bradley Manning's cell would be considered a luxury condo in Pyongyang.

Plus at least they feed you in Iran. Most North Koreans are starving, that's why they're a foot shorter than the Southern cousins.

Iran is supposedly an extremely pretty country with beautiful architecture, Persian cuisine is good and he'd be treated like royalty (as long as he kept spilling secrets. As soon as he stopped off to the gulag). If I were to betray my country I'd definitely choose that place over North Korea, Cuba or Venezuela.

Plus most Iranian citizens are surprisingly progressive or Westernized.

I could see Cuba taking him. Venezuela might as well, just to piss us off...lol Their new President said he was a hero, so I could see him going there.

Cuba apparently gave him the cold shoulder (went straight to Fidel's voice mail). Venezuela is being deliberately vague...

Really, no one wants this guy. Only one who seems to even be entertaining the idea is Bolivia. Emphasis on entertaining.

Iran is supposedly an extremely pretty country with beautiful architecture, Persian cuisine is good and he'd be treated like royalty (as long as he kept spilling secrets. As soon as he stopped off to the gulag). If I were to betray my country I'd definitely choose that place over North Korea, Cuba or Venezuela.

I dunno man, Cuba is pretty nice. But it wouldn't exactly be hard for America to extradite him the old fashioned way. All they need is three guys, a row boat and a bag.

Snowden seems screwed.

Go to Iran, I'd say. Maybe he gets A/C where he is at there. :o

How does Snowden pay for his plane tickets? Did he bring cash? I thought US would freeze his assets for sure.

Snowden has to accept the consequences of his actions.

How does Snowden pay for his plane tickets? Did he bring cash? I thought US would freeze his assets for sure.

Wikileaks is helping him, though it's not inconceivable that he would have some money the government doesn't know about.

Plus the Russian government will probably be more than happy to pay to get him the hell out of their hair.

I'm sorry, Question. But that was a pretty silly statement. There's no greater example of a "frenemy" than China and a lot of people, including myself, think a war with them is all but inevitable.

When have we ever attacked a country with nukes?

For now. But I do think war between China and Japan is inevitable.

There is some very deep hatred there, and it hasn't dissipated at all. If anything it seems to be getting worse, as Chinese nationalism mounts.

War with Japan is war with the US.

China is just using nationalism to gain tighter control of the public.

That's all the plutocrats want since the cultural revolution.

Oh definitely. Let me put it this way, Bradley Manning's cell would be considered a luxury condo in Pyongyang.

Plus at least they feed you in Iran. Most North Koreans are starving, that's why they're a foot shorter than the Southern cousins.

It depend how NK viewed Snowden.

If he makes it into the elite class he would live very comfortably. The ”ignorant” masses live in squalor in North Korea. The well connected live in luxury.

Fourth of July Pro-Snowden Rallies Coming To A City Near You:

According to their press release on June 18, Restore the Fourth hopes that the demonstrations will achieve three things. First, the group calls on Congress to reform the Patriot Act and the FISA Amendments Act, so that blanket surveillance of Internet and phone records of U.S. residents is prohibited. Second, they demand the creation of a special committee to further investigate domestic spying. And finally, Restore the Fourth wants public officials who are responsible for the programs to be held accountable.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/07/03/fourth-of-july-pro-snowden-rallies-coming-to-a-city-near-you/

If he makes it into the elite class he would live very comfortably. The ”ignorant” masses live in squalor in North Korea. The well connected live in luxury.

It's still North Korea. There was a documentary about the US army defectors who came to the DPRK in the 60's. One became part of the elite (more as a novelty than someone truly respected) by playing stereotypical American villains in DPRK propaganda movies. His life was still crummy. Bad liquor, bad food (I don't mean Korean food; I mean the fact food shortages are so dire even the party elite are going hungry these days), bad weather and people staring at him everywhere he went. If that's what Snowden wants, he's crazier than I thought.

Snowden would get the royal treatment at first - presumably. He'd probably get put in a nice hotel (the kind they reserve for Dutch tourists). But once his value runs out (which I would argue it already has), and he has nothing left to offer the North Korean government, they'll probably give him a dilapidated apartment somewhere in Pyongyang. He'll be lucky to ever see broadband internet again either way.

Dilapidated apartment if he's lucky. He could end up in a gulag or chained to a desk teaching English to North Korean special forces.

I'm not really sure where he's going with that one...

I think Snowden better just hand himself over if all he's got left on the table are "Axis of Evil" countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"