Arkham Reborn

This is suppose to conclude in one issue? With all that's going on, I'm a bit skeptical but I'm definitely in for whatever is planned. Before I even bought this issue I was thinking to myself that this should be more than 3 issues, at least 4 or 5. But whatever, I'll just enjoy this for now. The writing was very solid and top notch and the art really complements it. I loved seeing the Bat-villains and the crap they're going through due to Black Mask and Alyce Sinner. I feel really sorry for Jeremieh because the man is really just trying to help. This series makes for a very fine horror tale and if this full story goes on to another series (fingers crossed) it could maybe be collected with the Battle of the Cowl one-shot/prologue. But I'm getting ahead of myself, I'm just very into this story and hope that it doesn't end too soon and very worried the conclusion may come to be a bit rushed.

ar32and3.jpg

Yeah i'm hoping this doesn't feel rushed or anything. I hope this whole thing gets collected in a 6 issue story with the BFTC issues with this one. That'd be cool. =p

Analyzing Arkham Reborn

Okay, I re-read the whole arc including the BFTC: Arkham Asylum one-shot and have to say it reads a ton better, and the ending makes a lot of sense after reading all four issues together. Since the first issue, there's been mention and hints of Jeremiah going mad. The one wink wink to it was with Hamburger Lady. It was said that when you look at Hamburger Lady, you're suppose to go insane. Who did we see look at her? Jeremiah, No-Face, and Mirror Man. Now, Mirror Man and No-Face are already categorized as "insane" despite being "cured" by Jeremiah, so they weren't affected by seeing Hamburger Lady. But Jeremiah was, leading the the next chapters of this story.

Also at the end of of one-shot, No-Face paints his face as the Joker with some lettering about going on, "All things are possible here and I am what madness made me. Whole and complete. And free at last..." Now, we have all commented that the Jester looks like Joker to the point in the book itself, Jester says he's his twin brother. Also, as each day passes by, Alyce Sinner and her plans of messing up the Asylum has slowly started to break Jeremiah's mentality. As the series goes on, she's talking to Black Mask and his mentality is constantly questioned, if the character is going to crack. We start to see him cracking more when we actually see a bit of his figment of his imagination running about since #1 of Arkham Reborn as Jester is actually seen running around when Jeremiah is in the tunnels. Jeremiah then shrugs it off as his mind playing tricks on him. Another clue. Another clue is also the Jester's stick looking like Jeremiah. There are also panels here and there of Jeremiah smiling, giving him a Joker-like grin, and one panel of that was when Jeremiah started to really get frustrated but used that as a mask to hide his annoyance. At this point, everyone has turned against him. Alyce has betrayed him, Aaron has sold him out, Batman has embarrassed him (and Jeremiah has mentioned various times to us readers how much he hates Batman), and even Gordon and Gotham's DA has gotten on his case about being unable to handle the Asylum and how he has no power over all this... leading to the end...

"I have finally come to understand myself. My true self. I won't fight it anymore." At the end, we're finally in Jeremiah's mind. He's sitting at the head of his children and Jester is roaming around freely. Also, the 3 Beauties pointed at Jeremiah, not Jester. He simply looked behind him at the weird sounds and saw Jester come about. Jester has been lurking in Jeremiah all this time and there's hints to it since #1 and Jeremiah's madness being hinted in the first one-shot: Jeremiah looking at Hamburger Lady's face, Mirror Man looking in the mirror constantly as a sigh of duality (and also the broken glass he gives to Jeremiah), and of course No-Face painting his face to look at Joker (or Jester in this case).

Now one thing in Hine's writing is also the cracks people have in their mentality and another topic is the slight and little things people do to their kids that ends up affecting them greatly. If Hine gets a shot to conclude this story, I'm sure we'll seeing this happen with Jester/Jeremiah leading this 3 Beauties, his children, down an awkward path.

Hine has written another great horror tale and after reading everything in one peace, it surely has delivered nicely. PLEASE let this have a proper conclusion. I don't want this to turn out like that Son of M/Silent War situation.

Those pictures look amazing. Are these from the covers? They are outstanding, so i hope the books match their covers.

I thought the ending seem pretty rushed actually but I love how competent this series made the new Batman seem.

I really think there needs to be an Arkham ongoing. Seems that a lot of the best stories are the ones based in Arkham.

The ending wasnt very satisfying solo, but it promises more, which I would really like to see.

detective-864-cvr.jpg

DETECTIVE COMICS #864
On sale APRIL 28 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Written by DAVID HINE
Co-feature written by GREG RUCKA
Art by JEREMY HAUN
Co-feature art by CULLY HAMNER
Cover by CLIFF CHIANG
The inmates of Arkham Asylum have taken over DETECTIVE COMICS in “Beneath the Mask” Part 1 of 2! It’s Black Mask verses Jeremiah Arkham for control of the asylum. But what of the enigmatic Three Beauties, and how does Batman fit into the mad plan? Everything that was set up and teased in BATTLE FOR THE COWL: ARKHAM ASYLUM and ARKHAM REBORN is at last revealed, but the answers to the mysteries just might drive everyone – including Batman – mad!
Then, in the co-feature, the spotlight is shone on Renee’s personal life. But just who knows about her secret identity, and what will they do with that information? That is the question…

Looks like David Hine got his gig for Monthly Batman book. :) Since Batwoman is getting her own title and all. :) Tho this makes me wonder. In March were suppose to find out who's the Black Mask and one of the high candicates is none other than Jeremiah Arkham. Lets see how this turns out to be.

Sadly it's just for two issues. Maybe if the responses is good, who knows.

The thing is all his Arkham stuff so far has had nice sales + only good feedback pretty much. It's 2 issues and it concludes his arc, but why stop there? Batwoman is moving away from the title, so theres a spot open for Hine right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"