Infinity War Asgardians (Infinity War Spoilers)

Flash525

The Scarlet Messenger
Reaction score
I'd imagine there are a few people, alike myself, that were left a little disappointed by the lack of Valkyrie and/or Korg in Infinity War, not only in their lack of actual presence, but also in that they weren't even mentioned, when, as far as we know (or knew?) they were on that ship when Thanos attacked.

The conclusion I came too following the film was that Valkyrie, Korg, and a few others had left that ship prior to Thanos having arrived, because otherwise they'd be there, but upon talking to a colleague about the film earlier, is it possible do you think that Thanos has them?

Thanos' grand plan is to erase half of existence; before the stones, he's needed to do that the old fashioned way; with an army - we saw this take place on Gamora's home world, and we can further assume the same tactic was applied to Xandar.

We're now thinking that Thanos purposely spared the lives of half the Asgardians on that ship on purpose; as to make good on his quest, it's just it wasn't explicitly stated (though I do seem to recall Thor clearly stating that Thanos had killed half his people?)

Thoughts?

He wouldn't have them as prisoners so I don't think he has them. They likely left on the orgy ship perhaps seeking a home. All those people should not expect to live on a ship forever.

Thor did say he killed half of his people so some may have already been gone and Thanos let some go.

I did think they needed some throwaway line about Valkyrie, yeah, if they're intending to bring her back. I get the sense despite Thor's one line on it that most people figured all of the Asgardians were just wasted.

That sequence still doesn't sit well with me. The Russos missed out on prime opportunity by not showing that battle and what happened with half the ship's people. I was shocked they didn't.

The ship looks like it was torn in half, so some likely were able to escape. So, it's possible that some of the refugees, Valkyrie, Korg, and Miek escaped.

Why do you need to see it, though?

We get how top-**** Thanos is from the scene as-is in the movie. It's already a two-and-a-half-hour film, stuffed to the brim with action, you don't need to see another battle opening it. All we need to know from that situation is even Thor & Hulk are seriously outmatched.

I mean after waiting all these years, I wanted to see Zandar getting razed and what happened right after the post-credit scene in Ragnarok.

But it's just one of those situations where you have to mentally fill in the blanks.

That being said, it is weird to me though that the Asgard refugee ship knew about Zandar getting raised, but the Guardians did not.

Why do you need to see it, though?

We get how top-**** Thanos is from the scene as-is in the movie. It's already a two-and-a-half-hour film, stuffed to the brim with action, you don't need to see another battle opening it. All we need to know from that situation is even Thor & Hulk are seriously outmatched.

Not surprised you're here to argue against my perspective.

Ya, let's just skip over a group of people who are more powerful than any Avenger or any Guardian. The mere fact that Thanos wiped the floor with them set a strange precedent for the rest of the film - especially as he acquired all the other stones.

I think that scene being extended would've slowed the movie down too much. The way the movie opened was perfect.

Again I would've liked to have seen all of that, but it's a bit more ominous and foreboding when the movie opens on the wrecked refugee ship, and all those Asgardian refugees are dead, and Heimdall is severely wounded, and Thor has been thwomped.

But this presents a good opportunity for the Nova movie.

Hmm. I just assumed they all died and Thor was the only one left alive (other than Hulk). Also, was anyone surprised that Heimdall transported Hulk out of the ship and not Thor? I just thought he would want to save his king first.

But this presents a good opportunity for the Nova movie.

Good point.
Better to show that in the eventual Nova origin movie.
Fingers crossed. And it better be Dick Rider. :o

Hmm. I just assumed they all died and Thor was the only one left alive (other than Hulk). Also, was anyone surprised that Heimdall transported Hulk out of the ship and not Thor? I just thought he would want to save his king first.

I'd guess Heimdall knows Thor would rather die fighting and not flee from fate.

If they all escaped well Valkyrie, Korg and Miek along with other Asgardians it begs the question of where they are because Thor obviously thinks that they are dead

Not surprised you're here to argue against my perspective.

Ya, let's just skip over a group of people who are more powerful than any Avenger or any Guardian. The mere fact that Thanos wiped the floor with them set a strange precedent for the rest of the film - especially as he acquired all the other stones.

He's...the most powerful guy in the universe even without the stones, as established in Guardians.

The scene as-is conveys that, without needing to see him & his crew brutally mow down a few dozen 'fugees, it's just extraneous.

He wouldn't have them as prisoners so I don't think he has them. They likely left on the orgy ship perhaps seeking a home. All those people should not expect to live on a ship forever.
That ship was left on Asgard I do believe.

I did think they needed some throwaway line about Valkyrie, yeah, if they're intending to bring her back. I get the sense despite Thor's one line on it that most people figured all of the Asgardians were just wasted.
Considering her role in Ragnarok, and her importance to the Thor mytho, I wouldn't have thought she'd be one of the characters they'd kill off screen. I suspect she's alive and well, and her lack of appearance is due to budget or scheduling conflicts (Westworld?) but a passing comment by someone wouldn't have been too much to ask for.

I mean after waiting all these years, I wanted to see Zandar getting razed and what happened right after the post-credit scene in Ragnarok.
I confess, I had hoped to see that too. It's possible such a scene will make it to an extended/directors cut, but I would imagine said scene would have been similar to the one shown when wiping out half of Gamora's people.

That being said, it is weird to me though that the Asgard refugee ship knew about Zandar getting raised, but the Guardians did not.
I can only conclude that Thor somehow knew where the Power Stone was being kept, and so when he saw Thanos with it, he simply put the pieces together.

That ship was left on Asgard I do believe.

Considering her role in Ragnarok, and her importance to the Thor mytho, I wouldn't have thought she'd be one of the characters they'd kill off screen. I suspect she's alive and well, and her lack of appearance is due to budget or scheduling conflicts (Westworld?) but a passing comment by someone wouldn't have been too much to ask for.

I confess, I had hoped to see that too. It's possible such a scene will make it to an extended/directors cut, but I would imagine said scene would have been similar to the one shown when wiping out half of Gamora's people.

I can only conclude that Thor somehow knew where the Power Stone was being kept, and so when he saw Thanos with it, he simply put the pieces together.

I doubt the sequence was filmed at all. My guess is they just wrote it to start with Thor's ship already decimated and that the Xandar siege and the beginning of attacking the ship wasn't filmed.

As for how Thor knew it was on Xandar, I assume he heard about what happened on Xandar, and when he saw the purple stone on the Gauntlet already, he understood the reason for the attack.

What could have been more ominous was instead of the jaunty opening credits music we heard the sound of fighting, which would have been Thor and his people fighting Thanos, and open with the carnage and Thor being tossed like a doll to his new "throne" and behind him on the screens we see streaks of lights, which we are to assume are the rest of his people fleeing, because Thor and the others bought them time to leave. I'd think Thanos would be lest interested in halving the Asgardians since Hela already took care of that before he even got to them.

I actually thought this was more ominous and intense. What more powerful an image could we open on than loads of dead Asgardians and Thor basically helpless? Couple that with Maw's dialogue, wonderful opening.

Ya, two things that bothered me about the film: we didn't see Thanos getting the Power Stone on Xandar, and we didn't see the whole battle onboard the Asgardian ship. I honestly think this movie should have been a good 20-30 minutes longer.

Ya, two things that bothered me about the film: we didn't see Thanos getting the Power Stone on Xandar, and we didn't see the whole battle onboard the Asgardian ship. I honestly think this movie should have been a good 20-30 minutes longer.

After watching it the second time I did not think they needed to add/extend those scenes (Xandar and Asgardian Ship) but would have preferred they add on another 20-30 minutes to Thanos's backstory and some of the other characters.

I really wish Sif made an appearance. It's high time they get to shipping her and Thor. IW would be s good start to that considering what's happened.

After watching it the second time I did not think they needed to add/extend those scenes (Xandar and Asgardian Ship) but would have preferred they add on another 20-30 minutes to Thanos's backstory and some of the other characters.

They could have solved this by just saying that Thanos already had those stones by the time the movie opens (and he's saving Earth for last or something).

Valkyrie needs to show up later (especially now since they'll need all the help that they can get at this point), or we need an actual explanation for why she doesn't. Also I refuse to believe that they'd kill off one of their most popular new characters OFFSCREEN, so for now I'm going with the idea that she's out there somewhere.

I really wish Sif made an appearance. It's high time they get to shipping her and Thor. IW would be s good start to that considering what's happened.

If she didn't get a mention of any kind in Ragnarok, I highly doubted anything would be mentioned in IWs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"