<<Ask/Answer Thread>>Explanations to common Superman "complaint/plot holes" in movie

\S/JcDc\S/

Superhero
Reaction score
A lot of times people will ask things like:

• "Why can't they figure out Clark/Supes are the same?"
  • "How come his suit doesn't get damaged from bullet holes/fires?"
  • "Jor-el was a genious but he built a ship only large enough for a baby? WTF??"
Etc...

Come up with your own questions and/or answer others such as mine.

I actually have my own attempts at explaining these btw.

• Jor-el wanted him to live as a human and also understand life as a Kryptonian. So when he wears the \S/ crest (Supes suit) its properties make him only recognizable as a Kryptonian being. Only those that know him completely (human form Clark, Superman, and Kal-el) will be able to see him as a single entity. E.g. His earth parents. That is why only Lois can figure it out later, once she falls in love with the full person and not just Superman.
  • The suit is not damaged... I like the L&C explanation. It is tight fit to his body, the material is only protected when HE is wearing it. If the suit was not on Superman, it could be damaged however.
  • I think you scrap Jor-el building it big enough for a baby only. I would have him build it big enough for all of them. However Jor-el is taken out, Lara goes after him, and initiates launch sequence before Krypton blows. Jor-el could still give him the means to create FOS in case he did not survive the trip to Earth. He and his wife just don't get the chance to go with him and choose to save him.
<<Ask/Answer Thread>>Explanations to common Superman "complaint/plot holes" in movie :awesome:

Last edited:
I like your solutions. Especially the disguise thing.

I know we shouldn't clutter in too much exposition, but there are definitely key complaints made over the years by Superman fans/haters as well.

It would be cool to give a passable explanation during the movie, even if a small one.

As for the last explanation I was giving, hope I made it clear. I'm saying Jor-el was going to make a log for Kal-el even if he went on the trip, as a backup in case he does not survive the journey. His intentions were to go with him and Lara, but because the guards or whoever pulled him out, and Lara went after him... Kal-el was sent on his own out of desperation.

I like your solutions. Especially the disguise thing.

Thanks, I hope I explained it through text sufficiently. In my mind I know how the solution would work. If anyone was confused I can try and explain it in better detail.

Btw I wish some others members would post answer/solutions as well. I know there are other common complaints on Supes, I'll even take a stab at it if more questions get made up.

for the suit not getting damaged, i like the idea that his body creates its own sort of force field that protects his suit from harm. however very powerful enemies (like doomsday) are able to break through the field which causes damage to the suit.

I looked at it as all the materials came from Krypton and the material is all sorts of whatever-proof.

Don't know how they will address this in the film but often the question of why his costume looks the way it does, red-undies and all (i know i've asked that one quite a few times). And interesting approach would be if clark had a friend in high school who was a circus performer. The first time clark seems them perform (at which point he doesn't know about their secret) he doesn't even recognize them. When he talks to them later they relate to him the magic of the circus, bright colors, crazy costumes and all is about making people comfortable. How it plays into the fantasy and illusion of it all, it helps people suspend belief and buy into the fanasy instead of being afraid and viewing some of the performers as freaks, etc. It's something that has a big impact on clark when he decides to become Superman. Bright colors, down to the costume design, all designed to be reminicent of circus performers so people wouldn't be afraid of him when they see him in action.

This works for an earth origin for the costume even if it does take the kryptonian \S/ and color scheme from the ship.

It also pays homage to the original creators and their basing his costume on circus strong men.

Last edited:
that could be an interesting way to go with why he designs the costume to look the way it does.

Thanks, Web. And this could all be handled by him simply explaining it to someone, maybe even his mom or dad. You don't need a flashback or anything to actually be shown, just clark talking to someone about it.

[*]I think you scrap Jor-el building it big enough for a baby only. I would have him build it big enough for all of them. However Jor-el is taken out, Lara goes after him, and initiates launch sequence before Krypton blows. Jor-el could still give him the means to create FOS in case he did not survive the trip to Earth. He and his wife just don't get the chance to go with him and choose to save him.
[/LIST]<<Ask/Answer Thread>>Explanations to common Superman "complaint/plot holes" in movie :awesome:

i guess you forgot that when Jor el brought up kryptons death tot he counsel that they said if he tried leaving they would banish him tot eh phantom zone

[*]I think you scrap Jor-el building it big enough for a baby only. I would have him build it big enough for all of them. However Jor-el is taken out, Lara goes after him, and initiates launch sequence before Krypton blows. Jor-el could still give him the means to create FOS in case he did not survive the trip to Earth. He and his wife just don't get the chance to go with him and choose to save him.
[/LIST]<<Ask/Answer Thread>>Explanations to common Superman "complaint/plot holes" in movie :awesome:

i guess you forgot that when Jor el brought up kryptons death tot he counsel that they said if he tried leaving they would banish him tot eh phantom zone :doh:

i guess you forgot that when Jor el brought up kryptons death tot he counsel that they said if he tried leaving they would banish him tot eh phantom zone :doh:

That's why his idea is pretty cool, he still tries to leave and then gaurds come to arrest him and that is how he ends up just sending Kal El. Another good reason for adding in the info crystals, because he knew the council would try and stop him from leaving.

Have Kal's ship be a prototype, with Jor-El not having enough time to have build a full size ship. Jor-El would also have tried to persuade Lara to go with Kal, but she refused.

Last edited:
Good idea for a thread - these are the questions that team Nolan has to answer in the film; and here are my brief explanations...

1. how does LOIS not know Clark Kent is Superman:

2. How the costume was made:

3. why he chooses the wear the costume:

4. why doesn't the costume get damaged:

5. why does Superman love Lois?

6. why did Clark Kent become a superhero?

7. what did Clark Kent do from leaving Smallville to deciding to become a jouranalist? he could have literally been anything.

8. Why can't the FOS get discovered with today's technology?

9. Why is everyone so accepting of Superman right away? Wouldn't most people flip out?

I have my explanations for some of these problems, but I would like to get yours. A lot of these questions should be dealt with in the next movie.

Good idea for a thread - these are the questions that team Nolan has to answer in the film.

7. what did Clark Kent do from leaving Smallville to deciding to become a journalist? he could have literally been anything.

9. Why is everyone so accepting of Superman right away? Wouldn't most people flip out?

10. Why does Lex hate Superman so much? How did Lex make his billions?

I have my explanations for some of these problems, but I would like to get yours. A lot of these questions should be dealt with in the next movie.

Last edited:
My answers in bold:

Good idea for a thread - these are the questions that team Nolan has to answer in the film; and here are my brief explanations...

Clark should stoop a bit and carry himself differently from Superman. He could also wear brown contacts, though that might be awkward when he changes into Superman. People could even realize he looks like Supes and dismiss him as quickly, just because they assume Superman has no secret identity. In the long run, it's fantasy so you just have to go with it.

It's a Kryptonian costume his parents packed into the ship with him.

In memory of his parents and Krypton.

Because it's advanced Kryptonian technology.

Because she's feisty, smart, brave, noble, and charismatic. The actress playing Lois will really have to sell these aspects of her personality.

7. what did Clark Kent do from leaving Smallville to deciding to become a jouranalist? he could have literally been anything.

He travels the world like Bruce in BB.

I won't worry about this. One might as well ask why no one can tail the tumbler or batpod back to Bruce's place.

They should flip out when they first see him. His struggle for acceptance should be an important part of Superman's saga.

Good idea for a thread - these are the questions that team Nolan has to answer in the film.

Thanks, will do my best (though I am more geared towards a sci-fi Supes)

Like I stated, Jor-el wants him to understand life amongst humans while also understanding his Kryptonian side. Jor-el forsees the possible complications/implications of living openly as a visitor from another planet. He engineers the Kryptonian/Superman crest \S/, so that he can only be seen as a Kryptonian/Superman to protect his human side. Only those that are able to view/care for Clark as much as Superman/Kal-el can see him as the entire entity> Clark, Superman, Kal-el. That is why his earth parents know who he is, and that is why one day when Lois is able to fall for Clark the way she immediately falls for Superman she will know him completely as well.

2. How the costume was made: Ok my idea (sci-fi idea some may think is too far) is that the \S/ crest only is Kryptonian engineered. The costume in completion is not. That way it is feasible that Martha would make him a suit (and it will make disbelief easier since we aren't claiming the full costume to be Kryptonian), and show Clark the crest that came with him on the ship. I go sci-fi with this, when Martha is going to sew it on, the needle will NOT penetrate the \S/ crest. They are perplexed. Clark then holds it up and starts pulling it towards his chest. The \S/ attaches to his costume. Martha and him look at eachother perplexed. She asks him "Is it attaching to you?" he responds "No, it is attaching to the suit you made me. It is as if it knows why you made this suit."

3. why he chooses the wear the costume: Jor-el informs him he will need to wear the crest, to separate from the human side and fulfill his destiny to be protector of earth. I would use something similar to a tagline I made before "Kal-el I have sent you to earth to protect you my son, and in turn one day it will be your duty to protect earth."

4. why doesn't the costume get damaged: Alright the Lois and Clark explanation works well here. Because it is a skin tight suit, his body has an aura protecting the layer of clothing, unless he himself is injured (from a strike of a strong being) the clothing can not be penetrated. If someone strong struck him to the point he can bleed, only then would the suit be damaged.

5. why does Superman love Lois? As he lives as the "human" Clark Kent he develops the same emotions. Lois is everything he could look for in a woman. Strong, beautiful, and a good heart. It doesn't matter what species she is lol.

6. why did Clark Kent become a superhero? He feels the need to help those in need. He has all these powers, so he should do something with them. Also Jor-el told him he owes earth his life, it protected him from death on Krypton giving him a place to live... So he should return the favor.

7. what did Clark Kent do from leaving Smallville to deciding to become a journalist? he could have literally been anything. Clark considers himself the protector of the world, not just america. The Daily Planet is a job that covers what is going on in the world. He gets insight to where people need help the most from working here also. He couldn't exactly have a cover as a cop if he is seen getting shot at and bullets bounce off, or a fireman if he is seen getting burned but no damage.

8. Why can't the FOS get discovered with today's technology? The FOS is underground and so remote that it would be hard to get to and so cold humans wouldn't want to try and find it. It is hidden to the point satellites could not pick up on its existence.

9. Why is everyone so accepting of Superman right away? Wouldn't most people flip out? Maybe people do question him at first. Maybe there is a group and Lex is probably ring leader that DOES question him. However he wins over the majority because he is seen saving lives, stopping damage from natural disasters like earthquakes, etc...

10. Why does Lex hate Superman so much? How did Lex make his billions?
Lex sees himself as above everyone. Now there is a man who can literally be above him in terms of power, public adoration, and he knows this man will try and stop his devious endeavors. Jealousy is part of it, and also knowing this Superman is the only being capable of stopping his empire of terror.

Lex made his money by being cut throat. He took insider info and never got caught, he killed owners to gain ownership, he stole when he wanted, etc... They can even do a flashback where he says "I didn't make my money being the nicest guy, I made it by being the smartest" and we see him shooting someone, taking a black mask off and grinning. Basically he was a criminal who was smart enough not to get caught.

Please share!

Because as Superman he vibrates his face so that no one gets a good look or photo of him, He looks slightly fuzzy like an out of focus photograph.

Martha and Clark too the kryptonian fabric in his ship and using Clarks Heat Vision welded the costume together.

To honor his heritage.

It's Crystal made technology. it's not cloth so it doesn't get damaged easily and can be repaired with the right amount of heat.

Because she's smart , beautiful and resourceful.

He doesn't think of himself as a superhero. Clark is all about helping people.

7. what did Clark Kent do from leaving Smallville to deciding to become a jouranalist?
He could have literally been anything.
He traveled the world, taking courses in Journalism from accredited universities and working in the foreign bureau of the Daily Planet.

because it's basically a mineral construct. Oit's technology so far advanced of anything we have it literally appears as nothing more than a mountain or a small hill.

Because he saves people, He doesn't ask for anything in return. Some will flip out but most will accept him.

10. Why does Lex hate Superman so much?
Because no matter how much money, power and fame he accumulates, he will never get the adulation that Superman does.

Last edited:
Got some really great answers so far. It's going to be great to see how they explain some of these things in the movie because even among Superman fans, there is some debate over the simplest things.

Nolan and Co. need to set it in stone.

i agree day, that could easily work out well.

As for costume i rather it be earth made by clark or martha. The whole idea of its from krypton or his parents on krypton made it for him would seem a littly silly. Sure they can go and maybe say he creates the suit based on what krypton wear was like. But i rather costume be earth made. And for his own creation.

i agree day, that could easily work out well.

As for costume i rather it be earth made by clark or martha. The whole idea of its from krypton or his parents on krypton made it for him would seem a littly silly. Sure they can go and maybe say he creates the suit based on what krypton wear was like. But i rather costume be earth made. And for his own creation.

My feelings are that if we're going to go down the traditional costume route let's acknowledge why it looks the way it does as the creators originally intended. Thus the circus explaination. It puts to rest the debate about the shorts. I've never really liked the shorts in live action especially for a modern day Superman, but for me the Circus explaination makes perfect sense. It's like "yes it looks the way it does and here's why" vs "oh yeah it's really from krypton...but it looks like he's wearing underwear on the outside...b/c that's how they dressed on krypton?":huh:

If it's from krypton i'd like a nice redesign that brings in that scifi element. But if it's from earth it's easier for me to accpet why it looks the way it does and the circus explaination just acknowledges what the origial creators had in mind.

A lot of times people will ask things like:

• "Why can't they figure out Clark/Supes are the same?"
  • "How come his suit doesn't get damaged from bullet holes/fires?"
  • "Jor-el was a genious but he built a ship only large enough for a baby? WTF??"
Etc...

Come up with your own questions and/or answer others such as mine.

I actually have my own attempts at explaining these btw.

• Jor-el wanted him to live as a human and also understand life as a Kryptonian. So when he wears the \S/ crest (Supes suit) its properties make him only recognizable as a Kryptonian being. Only those that know him completely (human form Clark, Superman, and Kal-el) will be able to see him as a single entity. E.g. His earth parents. That is why only Lois can figure it out later, once she falls in love with the full person and not just Superman.
  • The suit is not damaged... I like the L&C explanation. It is tight fit to his body, the material is only protected when HE is wearing it. If the suit was not on Superman, it could be damaged however.
  • I think you scrap Jor-el building it big enough for a baby only. I would have him build it big enough for all of them. However Jor-el is taken out, Lara goes after him, and initiates launch sequence before Krypton blows. Jor-el could still give him the means to create FOS in case he did not survive the trip to Earth. He and his wife just don't get the chance to go with him and choose to save him.
<<Ask/Answer Thread>>Explanations to common Superman "complaint/plot holes" in movie :awesome:

• In regards to Superman's disguise, I've always felt the Donner-Reeve approach was the best. I don't mean that Clark needs to be a fumbling nerd, but that you have to make the two personalities so different that one would never think they could be the same person. You mix that in with subtle change to the way he looks and it makes it easier. I thought Singer-Routh got the right balance of all the incarnations so far. But I'm sure there's probably still a a better way to do it. Then again this Superman, and the fact he doesn't wear a mask is always going to have to force you to suspend your disbelief some.
  • Either the "body aura" or the fact his suit is Kryptonian works for me. I think they are both good explainations. It would make sense that the fact Krypton's molecular structure is different would make the materials on the planent more invuneralable on Earth.
  • I've always felt the best way the ship to be handled with baby Kal-El is the same way sleep chambers work in James Cameron's Aliens.

yea day, and it would be nice for this superman to become superman on his own and not destine to be it. Sure i like that in smallville or the donner film. But this is time to be a different take and i would like to see them try something different. And i agree the taking cues from circus preformers would be a nice logical way to come up with the style of the suit and why he makes it such way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"