<<Ask/Answer Thread>>Explanations to common Superman "complaint/plot holes" in movie

It sounds like a lot of the good explanations come from the Birthright and Superman for All seasons comics.

Should these books be team Nolan's foundation for the next movie? I understand we don't want to see these books on the screen (i.e. Sin City) but should they use these books as the skeleton of their script?

These two books combined answer a lot of these questions very well. They are believable and good for an reboot/updated Superman.

well who knows how much or what different stories might be draw for the goyer/jonah script.

I'd like to see the Superman Animated Series' explanation for the Fortress of Solitude were its just an ice cavern Superman finds and he uses it to store Alien tech he finds, such as his ship or his kryptonian database etc.

Cool thread!

1. how does LOIS not know Clark Kent is Superman:

Lois never gets a good look at Clark, and Clark's Alibis are airtight. Even when she, and others, realizes they have some similarities, Clark knows how to time a recorded call, covertly use heat vision, and change en route to appear to be in two places at once as Superman and Clark Kent. If he does it smartly, it seems more plausible than any sci-fi explanation. That said, she suspects, and if the director is good enough, she knows, but won't admit it to herself.

Seeing Clark, under the effects of kryptonite, get injured by something that wouldn't hurt Superman doesn't hurt.

2. How the costume was made:

The costume was made from the cloth lining and swaddling clothes inside the ship. Cut by heat vision, patterned by Martha Kent and sown by the man of steel himself, all done in about 25 seconds of a montage.

3. why he chooses the wear the costume:

To fulfill his father's mission, to redeem humanity from it's hopeless, faithless, ruthless despair.

4. why doesn't the costume get damaged:

Kryptonian fabric is uber-flexible. It gives so much, and Superman's skin doesn't, so it doesn't break. Martha's attempt to cut it makes this clear in about five seconds. You could even have an early human-fabric costume that is a nod to the golden age symbol and colors.

5. why does Superman love Lois?

Because Lois is awesome, she's the smartest, fiestiest, bravest, slickest, and deep down inside most caring person he's ever met in all his travels. Lois makes Wonder Woman look like Paris Hilton.

6. why did Clark Kent become a superhero?

He's not a superhero, in his mind. He's a defender, and he does it because he's the only one who can and if he were in our position, he would want someone to save and defend and inspire him. It started with an alley mugging that he happened to stop, and from there, well, it was all over from there.

7. what did Clark Kent do from leaving Smallville to deciding to become a journalist? he could have literally been anything.

traveling the world, learnin languages, cultures, people, doing agriculture around the world, exploring his powers and their limits,

8. Why can't the FOS get discovered with today's technology?

It's too reflective, special properties in the minerals. This would be explained in a backup/prequel comic, not in the movie. No one cares.

9. Why is everyone so accepting of Superman right away? Wouldn't most people flip out?

They aren't. It sparks up a huge media outburst, religious fanatics, alien conspiracy theorists, all manner of madness. That's why Lois' interview is so important, as well as Lex's smear campaign.

10. Why does Lex hate Superman so much? How did Lex make his billions?

Superman steals the hearts of Metropolis, which is what Lex leverages to make his billions. By underwriting and generally owning just about everything in the city, directly or indirectly, Lex Luthor has built metropolis up himself, to him, Metropolis is his Sim City, and he manages everything about it, except Superman. Getting a cut of everything that happens in a New York-sized city will make you billions.

about the clark disguise:

it really is about projection, as mentioned here several times, superman projects confidence, power, authority, altogether a different persona, while clark projects a different personality. Granted they look a like, but it can and does work.

fact #1: elvis joined an elvis look-a-like contest in a US burger bar during the 70s and guess what, he only won 3rd place.

fact #2: arnold schwarzenegger joined a radio contest on who sounds most like arnold himself, and guess what, he lost.

you see, without us knowing that it's the same person, the same actor, sometimes it can be overlooked. A certain level of suspension of disbelief is still required, but I think the explanation of different personalities and demeanor between clark and superman already works and is fine for me. :)

That explains the masses. Perry, Jimmy and Lois work closely with Clark and cover Superman heavily. Celebrity status won't make Lois' ability to be held by Superman and sit across from Clark and not recognize the two any more plausible. There has to be something else, though it's a good idea to throw that in there as why Clark isn't recognized on the street.

Why do Kryptonians look identical (or at least very, very similar, going by Birthright) to humans?

Sheer dumb luck. That's why the Kryptonian scientfic community was so interested in Earth in the first place, because Earth is, incredibly, on an earlier part of the same exact genetic evolution. Incredible! Lara even remarks this as they are packing baby Kal-El into the ship.

My questions, answering these would shut up a lot of my friends who bag on superman as a hak or 'less realistic' your mileage may vary...

11. With the CIA and military having advanced tracking technology, satellites and the like, why has no government agency been able to ascertain Superman's identity.

12. How can Superman catch planes at one point and they not break? How can he carry people at super speed and they not be smooshed?

13.Why would Lex Luthor be interested in Kryptonite, if at all? How is it an energy source? It's a mineral.

14. Why does superman constantly hold back? It seems superspeed would be a quick safe way to end virtually all of his physical challenges, but he always moves at normal human speed. Why?

15. How can Luthor seem intensely threatening to Superman, and conversely, how can Superman seem like his powers are not what make him awesome/give him his internal strength?

1. How does LOIS not know Clark Kent is Superman
Even if Clark looked like Superman, it's an absurd idea to her that Superman would ever spend time as a normal person.

3. Why he chooses the wear the costume:
He needs something to wear, and a costume honoring his Kryptonian heritage is just the thing.

6. Why did Clark Kent become a superhero?
Good ol Ma and Pa let him know he's special and should use his special gifts for the sake of humanity.

7. What did Clark Kent do from leaving Smallville to deciding to become a journalist? he could have literally been anything.
What if he just likes journalism?

8. Why can't the FOS get discovered with today's technology?
Who says it can't?

9. Why is everyone so accepting of Superman right away? Wouldn't most people flip out?
They come to trust him after finding out what kind of a person he is.

10. How did Lex make his billions?
Doesn't matter.

11. With the CIA and military having advanced tracking technology, satellites and the like, why has no government agency been able to ascertain Superman's identity.
Some things are just considered sacred or, nobody believes he's anything but Superman. Why would he be?

12. How can Superman catch planes at one point and they not break? How can he carry people at super speed and they not be smooshed?
It's a comic book. Lots of things are stretched, including physics.

13.Why would Lex Luthor be interested in Kryptonite, if at all? How is it an energy source? It's a mineral.
He finds out somehow that it hurts Superman.

14. Why does superman constantly hold back? It seems superspeed would be a quick safe way to end virtually all of his physical challenges, but he always moves at normal human speed. Why?
Fear of his own power. Too much might exacerbate the problem.

15. How can Luthor seem intensely threatening to Superman, and conversely, how can Superman seem like his powers are not what make him awesome/give him his internal strength?
A) Superman knows that Lex is willing to go as far as it takes to get his way.
B) His humanity and optimistic look on life. He sees the good in everyone, even Lex.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering, now I'm going to bother you about it. :doh:

Some things are just considered sacred or, nobody believes he's anything but Superman. Why would he be?

I'm not talking about normal people, I'm talking about intelligence agencies. Nothing is sacred, and they don't get paid for 'beliefs,' they get paid for facts.

My Answer: The DEO/DEA/Amanda Waller/General Eiling controls all information about Superman. It is a 'no touch' case for intelligence agencies, who are as likely to investigate Superman as they are Iranian communiques. It's someone else's department, 'or else.' As such, the DEA/Waller/etc know exactly who Superman really is, even may have some interesting Kryptonian artifacts, which are revealed to him when they meet up with him sometime during the second movie/battle against Brainiac.

It's a comic book. Lots of things are stretched, including physics.

This logic is popular here, but overall incorrect. After the premise of the movie (the superpowers involved) any further negligence of real world science is troubling to a moviegoing (not comic reading) audience. Just because Superman can fly doesn't mean Lois Lane can fly. That would be troubling and inconsistent and unexplained. Likewise, Superman bouncing heat vision off of a brick wall would have the same effect on a smaller part of the audience. Likewise, Superman picking up an airplane by the wing on an even smaller part. In none of these three cases is "things get stretched" satisfying to the disturbed part of the movie going audience.

My Answer: Superman's electromagnetic field is actually explained by STAR labs scientists, as much bigger than ours, which allows socks to cling to us with static electricity. The Kryptonian field allows them leverage on very large objects, explaining how Superman could pick up that boat this morning and not puncture a hole straight through it.

Fear of his own power. Too much might exacerbate the problem.

I still don't understand, why would he not use Super speed as often as super strength? He doesn't seem afraid of that...

My Answer: Superman is not 'good' with his superspeed, and while he has a high top speed, he's not actually that 'quick' unless he's unhinged, running off pure adrenaline, red kryptonited, or otherwise mentally compromised. The same reason he can't move at his top speed is the same reason that we can't: biology.

A) Superman knows that Lex is willing to go as far as it takes to get his way.
B) His humanity and optimistic look on life. He sees the good in everyone, even Lex.

Nice.

Last edited:
why would superman ever romanticly lead lois on? he should be himself as clark and she should love clark first

Lot s of women and men for that matter love people without knowing everything about them.

Suppose the shirt rip-off will still be in. How does he keep and hide his normal cloth after change?

A lot of times people will ask things like:

• "Why can't they figure out Clark/Supes are the same?"
  • "How come his suit doesn't get damaged from bullet holes/fires?"
  • "Jor-el was a genious but he built a ship only large enough for a baby? WTF??"
Etc...

Come up with your own questions and/or answer others such as mine.

I actually have my own attempts at explaining these btw.

• Jor-el wanted him to live as a human and also understand life as a Kryptonian. So when he wears the \S/ crest (Supes suit) its properties make him only recognizable as a Kryptonian being. Only those that know him completely (human form Clark, Superman, and Kal-el) will be able to see him as a single entity. E.g. His earth parents. That is why only Lois can figure it out later, once she falls in love with the full person and not just Superman.
  • The suit is not damaged... I like the L&C explanation. It is tight fit to his body, the material is only protected when HE is wearing it. If the suit was not on Superman, it could be damaged however.
  • I think you scrap Jor-el building it big enough for a baby only. I would have him build it big enough for all of them. However Jor-el is taken out, Lara goes after him, and initiates launch sequence before Krypton blows. Jor-el could still give him the means to create FOS in case he did not survive the trip to Earth. He and his wife just don't get the chance to go with him and choose to save him.
<<Ask/Answer Thread>>Explanations to common Superman "complaint/plot holes" in movie :awesome:

i'm not sure how i feel about the suit technology being able to distort how people see his identity. it just seems like extra exposition. a lot of these ideas are creative, but why can't it just be what it is? i mean, he's an alien with powers. it is what it is.

my theory:

because no one knows that Superman is anyone other than Superman. Take Michael Jordan. We all know how he looks. However if a new person was hired by your job that looked like him you'd just think he kind of looks like Michael Jordan...you wouldnt think that's MJ's secret identity.

why not have the glasses cause the effect instead of the suit :confused: kryptonian crystal eyewear baby!

because the most simplest explanations are the best.

The reason I came up with the suit idea instead of glasses is because if the suit naturally causes this effect when he wears it... it is easier than explaining that Jor-el had the vision ahead of time to carve special glasses for him to wear on Earth for when he grows up. What is there a Kryptonian Lenscrafters? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"