Atonement Trailer Revealed

Finally got to see it today, good sized audiene and I know I heard quite a bit of sniffles near the end. :p
There were some pretty intense shots, great cast.

Saw this yonks ago, brilliant stuff. The cinematography aand editing was top notch. 9/10

I also thought that this was the ultimate case of sibling rivalry gone horrible wrong. :csad:

I finally got around to seeing this and I'm glad I did. The girl I brought literally broke into an uncontrollable sob at the big reveal at the end.

i hate how they're advertising this movie as if its playing here...

i checked my showtimes and it aint playin in Miami at all!!!!

i guess because no one saw it when it first came out....

Well, I finally got around to seeing it today...Absolutely brilliant. This is one of the best movies of the year (though there are still a handful, I prefer) it just knocked my socks off at the end. I thought the first act which relied on the bright lighting and softer focus to make the heat and suffering of summer boredom alive on screen to the sound of the typewriter in the score was brilliant. The characters' journey in that first hour was probably the strongest portion of the movie, since the trailers gave it all away, I expected to be anxious waiting for the rest of the movie...but it was not the case. It was just so finely told and the ending was tragic.

The portion following McAvoy in the war was held together by McAvoy's awesome performance and that extremely impressive tracking shot (Joe Wright is becoming one of my favorite directors quickly), but oddly I thought the movie was more interesting when it was following Briany. Her journey and the climactic confrontation was extremely satisfying and heartbreaking...

but then to find out that is just the end of her book. The last scenes and discovering the fates of Robbie and especially Ceceila were truly tragic and lifted this movie up above the fold as a visceral kick to the nuts (for the umpteenth time this year). Really well done.

10/10.

I'm glad to see this film win not only best picture, but best score as well. I seriously fell in love with Dario Marianelli's work in this. The score is sooooo ridiculously good.

I'm listening to 'Briony' right now.:heart:

I'm really glad I avoided spoilers for this.

The twist at the end...oof. I physically felt like someone punched me. Although I really felt this was briony's story more then anyone elses.

Question. What did people make of the French guy whom Briony comforts at the end? Part of me really wanted Briony to know him so that she would have loved someone in her life.

I'm really glad I avoided spoilers for this.

The twist at the end...oof. I physically felt like someone punched me. Although I really felt this was briony's story more then anyone elses.

Question. What did people make of the French guy whom Briony comforts at the end? Part of me really wanted Briony to know him so that she would have loved someone in her life.

She almost had me believing she knew him.

As much as I loved this movie, I think it was more of the visual aspect of it. I shed a few tears but I wasn't as moved as most other women I know say they were. I feel like I'm missing out on something. I'm usually all weepy and **** at these types but I almost feel like the ending has been done before, the idea. :huh:
I think I would like to own this because I do love the costumes and the score. :up:

She almost had me believing she knew him.

As much as I loved this movie, I think it was more of the visual aspect of it. I shed a few tears but I wasn't as moved as most other women I know say they were. I feel like I'm missing out on something. I'm usually all weepy and **** at these types but I almost feel like the ending has been done before, the idea. :huh:
I think I would like to own this because I do love the costumes and the score. :up:

I didn't cry eaither (ok...much). I think though they just so effectively
have you beliveing the happy ending that it really hits some people out of left field when the truth is revealed.

Have you seen Pride and Prejudice with Knightley? By the same director, and definitely no BBC version, but beautiful visuals and costumes. Also much more feel good haha.

No, I've never seen Pride and Prejudice. *hangs head in shame* :csad:

I think the reason I wasn't as upset was...
I knew he wasn't going to make it. He looked terrible, but I didn't think that Knightly was going to kick the bucket too.

^Yea that was the real twist of the dagger.

I highly recomend both Wright's and the BBC version of P and P. Even if you despise Austen, as I do, the films are very entertaining. Mr Darcy will make you swoon fo sure.

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it, i thought it was as good as No Country for old men. James McAvoy is becoming one of my favourite actors, the guy really is superb and Keira Knightley gives her finest performance showing she is more than Elizabeth Swan.

Joe Wright's direction is subtle and restrained, never allowing melodrama to creep in and the movie is shot like a painting, the foreboding score is unusual for this type of dramatic romance but it fits perfectly with the story which is engrossing from start to finish.

The end is surprising in the way it's executed as opposed to the content, although like Tza i was surprised [BLACKOUT]Cecilia died as well[/BLACKOUT]. Personally i found the ending excellent and very fitting in it's bittersweet nature.

8/10

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/atonement4.html

Title: Atonement (IMDb)
Starring: James McAvoy
Released: 18th March 2008
SRP: $29.98

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced Atonement which stars James McAvoy, and Keira Knightley. The Joe Wright directed drama will be available to own from the 18th March, and should retail at around $29.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include a commentary with Director Joe Wright, deleted scenes with commentary by Director Joe Wright, a Making of Atonement featurette, and a Novel to the Screen featurette. A HD DVD/DVD Combo release will also be available for $39.98 with identical features.

^Yay!!! Something to distract me before finals. Wish they had a few more folks on the commentary though.

Wow, already on DVD? That's great, i'll certainly be adding it to my collection.

Commentary by Joe Wright? I was already sold, but now I can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"