August 2007 Sales Figures

I think that's because it's more of an inferiority complex in Doom's case. He does respect Reed's intellect, but it creates a need to outdo that intellect rather than, y'know, be normal and just tell Reed, "Hey, you're pretty smart."

Doom has a lot, but I don't think an inferiority complex is one of those things.

Yeah, they do. They have a mutual respect, much like Xavier and Magneto's. The difference being that Doom is much slower to admit that respect at times.
Granted, they respect each other. Hell, they're old friends. But in the ninja universe of the Turtles it's different. Raph took over the Foot after defeating their leader. They respected him and wanted him to be their leader. Now, I don't know much about Japanese culture or the sub culture of the ninja (but I have read that the TMNT writers got it all wrong) but I think there is a thing of honor taking place here. It wasn't "Hey, I'm you boss now, cuz I'm great!" It was more along the lines of "You beat our boss, so you'd be a better leader anyhow."

Plus, Raph became the Shredder in armor only. He wasn't a villain. It was like when Daredevil declared himself the Kingpin. His rule was be good, or get out. Well, that's what Raph was doing.

Granted, they respect each other. Hell, they're old friends. But in the ninja universe of the Turtles it's different. Raph took over the Foot after defeating their leader. They respected him and wanted him to be their leader. Now, I don't know much about Japanese culture or the sub culture of the ninja (but I have read that the TMNT writers got it all wrong) but I think there is a thing of honor taking place here. It wasn't "Hey, I'm you boss now, cuz I'm great!" It was more along the lines of "You beat our boss, so you'd be a better leader anyhow."

Plus, Raph became the Shredder in armor only. He wasn't a villain. It was like when Daredevil declared himself the Kingpin. His rule was be good, or get out. Well, that's what Raph was doing.

Sounds more like the Storm/Callisto thing.

That's basically what it was. Raph was just being Raph and he basically found himself in the role of the Foot's new leader. Then he realized what he could do as their leader and decided to embrace it. He was still definitely a good guy, just pretty dark. Like DD declaring himself Kingpin, as Steve said. That was Daredevil going to a place he didn't usually go to.
Doom has a lot, but I don't think an inferiority complex is one of those things.
Well, I ain't no psychey-whatsit, but Doom's got something. He can't stand the idea that anyone else even comes close to his intellet, let alone that he has a potential equal. He needs validation that he's smarter than Reed.

Corp's right. Doom's definitely got an inferiority complex at least when it comes to Reed Richards.

Well, I ain't no psychey-whatsit, but Doom's got something. He can't stand the idea that anyone else even comes close to his intellet, let alone that he has a potential equal. He needs validation that he's smarter than Reed.

Corp's right. Doom's definitely got an inferiority complex at least when it comes to Reed Richards.

Doom doesn't need any sort of validation. Doom knows he's the smartest. He just takes pleasure in seeing Reed fail and realizing that he'll always be second best. It's got nothing to do with Doom having to prove something about himself to himself or anyone else.

He loses against Reed an awful lot for just "enjoying to see Reed fail." :oldrazz:

That's pretty much how I see it.

How many times as Reed played on Doom's obsessive need to best him?

I gotta agree with with Spidey and Corp. But Photo's last statement owns.

Aren't you the one who always says Doom's the smartest in the MU? How come he keeps getting his ass handed to him, then?
Yeah, as a half-joke because that's how Doom sees himself (although I do genuinely think he's a little bit smarter). But even he knows that doesn't gel with the fact that he can never quite outdo Reed completely and utterly, which is why he always needs validation that he's smarter.

Yeah, as a half-joke because that's how Doom sees himself (although I do genuinely think he's a little bit smarter). But even he knows that doesn't gel with the fact that he can never quite outdo Reed completely and utterly, which is why he always needs validation that he's smarter.

So even in being a "little bit smarter", how does Doom always lose?

Because he wastes all his time trying to get Reed to admit that he's that little bit smarter. Hence, inferiority complex. :)

Because he wastes all his time trying to get Reed to admit that he's that little bit smarter. Hence, inferiority complex. :)

Pfft. Doom beats himself. His plans are always so ambitious that not even his massive intellect can carry them out. Thus, he's thwarted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"