BREAKING NEWS:Marvel changes pricing policy...

runawayboulder

2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP
Reaction score
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28740

Less than an hour after their primary competitor announced an across the board drop to a $2.99 price point, Marvel Comics today also announced at least a partial move away from the often criticized $3.99 price for new serialized superhero comics.

During the ICv2 Conference On Comics & Digital – a Thursday afternoon industry pre-event to New York Comic Con – Marvel Senior Vice President of Sales & Circulation David Gabriel confirmed that new books launching in January 2011 will not debut at $3.99. "A lot of talk I've heard [today is] about the pricing increases overall...because of the digital comics sales, prices will decrease," he said as part of a panel whose focus was "Print Vs. Digital."

Gabriel prefaced the announcement by outlining some of Marvel's broader successes in the downloadable comics space since launching their dedicated iPhone and iPad application in April. "This week we passed 2 million downloads [of the App,]" the VP explained, noting that the overall interest "does not translate yet into 2 million downloads today for books." However, as a point of comparison, he said that weekly sales of comics on mobile devices have come close but not surpassed the sales of Manhattan retailer powerhouse Midtown Comics – one of the biggest accounts Marvel services in the direct market.

The sales online were particularly strong for the trial runs Marvel has done on day-and-date releases like this week's "Ultimate Thor" #1. "We found that in a week's time, the download of the day-and-date comics were a little bit less than what Midtown orders. They're one of the top retailers in the country, so it gives you an idea of where we're at."

Gabriel added that by tomorrow, digital sales of "Ultimate Thor" will have surpassed the amount sold to the biggest accounts Marvel works with.
Doubtlessly, the $3.99 versus $2.99 price debate will be a big part of the discussion around New York Comic Con just as the general price increase has been a somewhat controversial move in the eyes of fans and retailers, particularly as summer sales of single issue comics have taken a noticeable downturn.

Ah, crap......it's being discussed on the DC board. I worked all day and then watched the Yanks. Go ahead and close if you want, I missed it.

This popped up in the DC forum. If Marvel really intended to announce this not simply because of DC's move, they could have announced this a month or even 3 days ago. They didn't, and that is telling. Makes it seem last minute.

It is good news. It seems that sales on digital comics are good enough to cut some prices back on print ones. I've also noticed more ads for things that aren't Marvel comics in their issues again, especially this month. Such as car ads again. Ad revenue also is likely a factor. Up until now it was dry.

However, unless details change, "no new titles in 2011 will be $3.99" won't effect titles that are launched before Jan. 2011, now will it effect titles that were priced at $3.99 before that date for no reason, as they don't have a back-up strip (like THOR). It also may not effect mini-series or one-shots, which collectively make up about half of what Marvel publishes.

It's a step in the right direction; maybe watching so many new ongoing series launch and hit a wall because of a $4 first issue has finally caught on. It isn't the $2.99 across the board that DC promised, though.

Heh, I guess they didn't like the title of the thread.

Well, it helps but if all of DC is 2.99 and Marvel continues the 3.99 mini, ongoings, and random ongoings that are already that price... I may start putting more money into DC.

Heh, I guess they didn't like the title of the thread.

I don't think you can have a curse in a title of a thread.

Well, it helps but if all of DC is 2.99 and Marvel continues the 3.99 mini, ongoings, and random ongoings that are already that price... I may start putting more money into DC.

It will be curious if that happens. I would be hesitant to call that. Despite having more $4, Marvel still outsold DC, at least in periodical sales. The last time DC was top dog in dollar, market, and unit share even for one month may have been in 2006 or 2007. Simply having the best selling comic of the month or even owning 5 of the Top 10 isn't enough. Marvel usually outsells them across the Top 100. A lot of that could simply be quantity; despite Vertigo and Wildstorm, Marvel usually printed out about 10-25 more comics a month than DC, on average.

For me, it is a lot harder diving into a universe I know little about. Most of what I know of DC comes from stuff absorbed from the cartoons and WIZARD magazine from the 90's and little actual reading. I mean if not for that I might have bit on Geoff Johns' FLASH while he was in his prime, I just didn't feel like collecting seven trades to make sense of it.

I couldn't get into DC for years and years. I read the Batman: Hush storyline for Jim Lee's art but that was it. Then Identity Crisis came around and I was forced to read it and loved it. Then that same person forced me to read Green Lantern Rebirth and I loved it. Identity Crisis got me caught up in the Infinite Crisis deal but I stopped DC as soon as that finished due to overload and since then I've been more careful on what I read or get pulled into. It's turned into quite a read list compared to the nothing I originally had but I find I enjoy every issue of it so that's very good (definately compared to Marvel where I really enjoy maybe half of it).

DC Read List
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors
Batman & Robin
Batgirl
Titans
Green Arrow

I may drop Batman & Robin and start reading Batman Inc and Batman: The Dark Knight when they come out but I'm not sure yet. Likely now that both of those titles and Emerald Warriors are dropping a dollar, freeing up $3 for DC, I could continue B & R with no loss of money, or put that $3 toward another title I'm curious about.

Is there a source that keeps track of digital sales/revenue? I've only seen estimates from sites like ICv2.

I say instead of getting Batman: The Dark Knight, continue getting Batman & Robin

I don't think you can have a curse in a title of a thread.

Even the word ass? I guess I better brush up on the forum rules and reg.

Nevertheless, I'm glad this is happening. It's long overdue and I'm tired of seeing books that a relatively decent not make it past a year. I hope this will extend the life of a book like Avengers Academy. Dread, you've stated before that the book might not make it past 2 years with the 3.99 price. If sales slip, maybe it will get a 2nd lease on life with a 2.99 tag.

I say instead of getting Batman: The Dark Knight, continue getting Batman & Robin

That's very likely if I have to choose. I go back and forth on the two, but being that I'm getting Batman Inc, which stars Bruce, I'll also get Batman & Robin for Dick and Damian. Batman: The Dark Knight is just another Bruce title, which I don't need, same as why I won't get Batman... just another Dick title. The draw to Dark Knight though is Finch's artwork. I love his pencils.

I don't think "ass" is even considered a curse word here. It's not censored and we're not living in 1972 or anything...

First thing that popped out of my ass--I mean into my head. :awesome:

I consider it a curse and do not use it. And kids get in trouble in school for saying it.

Curses should involve voodoo dolls and human blood, kids today and their words. Also why is crap ok but @#$% isn't? They both mean the same thing? I never understood that.

Oh and marvel not ripping people off so much=good.

Well, somebody changed the thread title because it had the word ass in it. I could care less, I'm just sayin.....

Eh, I guess it walks the line. Or, you know, scoots along the line. ;)

I couldn't get into DC for years and years. I read the Batman: Hush storyline for Jim Lee's art but that was it. Then Identity Crisis came around and I was forced to read it and loved it. Then that same person forced me to read Green Lantern Rebirth and I loved it. Identity Crisis got me caught up in the Infinite Crisis deal but I stopped DC as soon as that finished due to overload and since then I've been more careful on what I read or get pulled into. It's turned into quite a read list compared to the nothing I originally had but I find I enjoy every issue of it so that's very good (definately compared to Marvel where I really enjoy maybe half of it).

DC Read List
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors
Batman & Robin
Batgirl
Titans
Green Arrow

I may drop Batman & Robin and start reading Batman Inc and Batman: The Dark Knight when they come out but I'm not sure yet. Likely now that both of those titles and Emerald Warriors are dropping a dollar, freeing up $3 for DC, I could continue B & R with no loss of money, or put that $3 toward another title I'm curious about.

I read IDENTITY CRISIS and got on a few DC books after that, but rapidly fell off. It was just always a game of the next big thing, and DC's continuity is more of a cluster**** than Marvel's to keep track of. BOOSTER GOLD is really the only book from that era I got onto, because I liked how he was in 52.

Funny the 1970's were mentioned. Back then, DC cut their page count to 17 pages to keep costs down, much as they are cutting to 20 pages (from 22) to keep prices at $2.99 line wide.

Marvel hasn't been as effected by bad sales as DC has, which is likely another reason why their measure is half-hearted in comparison. Many titles that debuted before 1/2011 at $4 will likely stay there. And if mini's and one shots stay there, that simply means Marvel in 2011 will not attempt to launch NEW YOUNG X-TREME RAZORBACK for $4 for issue one, proving their sense has slipped back from bat-crap crazy to merely deranged. :p

So does this mean that Marvel won't be quite so keen on canceling titles for the sake of a shiny new number 1 at $4 a pop!!!!

I read IDENTITY CRISIS and got on a few DC books after that, but rapidly fell off. It was just always a game of the next big thing, and DC's continuity is more of a cluster**** than Marvel's to keep track of. BOOSTER GOLD is really the only book from that era I got onto, because I liked how he was in 52.

I only read the second issue of Booster Gold for the Sinestro story but I liked that one.

As far as Infinite Crisis era stuff, I mostly got hooked into Outsiders after Identity Crisis. That was just stellar but I stopped collecting it after the Insyderz crossover with the Teen Titans. That was a great stopping point and after that it starting shifting team members and all that. It's a good stand alone read though without crossovers save those last few issues with Teen Titans (maybe a total of 28 comics from issue 1 to the end of that crossover with the TT issues included).

I also went back and collected the first 20 or so issues of Green Arrow with Oliver Queen, which were good, but as always with GA I lose interest by around that time (did the same with Green Arrow/Black Canary and am HOPING I won't his time around).

After that I randomly picked up Countdown to Infinite Crisis and it all started there. I got all 5 minis that came from that, some other tie-ins, and the the Infinite Crisis event itself.

After Infinite Crisis, however, I stopped collecting due to overkill. I did later try to read 52 and I did like it but never finished it. I made it somewhere in the 30's or 40's and then my brother-in-law didn't have the last little bit and it's been so long I'd have to reread them now.

I gave up on DC entirely for a while until two things came in. Sinestro Corps War, which made me get all the GL and GLCorps comics from the relaunches to current... and the Spectre mini that came out right after Infinite Crisis. That led to me buying every appearance of his since Crispus Allen became the host as well as some stuff leading up to it, and some old Hal Jordan stuff as well.

Eventually Final Crisis caught my eye (and I loved it!) and that led me into Battle for the Cowl which got me into Batman. And then Titans caught my eye so I tried that.

And there's a more complete story of my DC reading :)

So in all this I guess what I'm saying is that if you want some decent DC reads (not that you do but if you did) try the first 25 issues of Outsiders by Winick, try Green Lantern Rebirth (and if you like it then just keep going!), and some Spectre stuff post Infinite Crisis. Those particularly have wowed me big time. He's my favorite DC character now. Can't wait for his story in the Green Lantern book here soon!

So does this mean that Marvel won't be quite so keen on canceling titles for the sake of a shiny new number 1 at $4 a pop!!!!
No, they'll be keen on canceling titles so they can flood the market with a few more Deadpool and Wolverine comics that are surefire financial wins at any price. ;)

Hey now, they also have been flooding the market with Iron Man and now Thor material. I imagine some Capt. America stuff is also flowing.

Only because of the movies. That'll pass in a year or so, but Wolverine and Deadpool? They're forever. :awesome:

Deadpool didn't kick into overdrive until X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE started ramping up in '08.

Wolverine, though, is forever. Even though his current sales are lower than they've been in, like, a decade or longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"