Avengers: Age of Ultron vs X-Men: Apocalypse

Gusto

Civilian
Reaction score
Which film are you most looking forward to?

Both Avengers and DOFP had a large impact on the GA and fans alike, leaving everyone dying for the sequels and just keeping up to date in general. Age of Ultron is approaching, Apocalypse got the green light, now we wait. Until then-- as stated, which are you most looking forward to?

Definitely looking forward to AOU the most! Joss Whedon, Marvel Studios, culmination of Phase 2: that simply cannot be beat in my mind except by my excitement for The Avengers 3 when it comes along!

I really loathe both villains.
Between the movies I hate the idea of Ultron less, so guess I'll go with Age of Ultron.

X-Men: Apocalypse!

I'm more intrigued by Apocalypse's existence in the movieverse compare to Ultron (which could be another 1 and done villain).

X-Men: Apocalypse, but that's no knock on AoU.

Singer doesn't do big action well and when he does do it it's not as exciting as it should be (though there are some exceptions) so I think AOU will leave a better impression but as always I hope Singer suprises me.

I guess I'm more currently more curious about Apocalypse (in terms of news announcements) because I know what questions are unanswered (Who will the four horsemen be? Who will the team be? Who will be cast?).

But I imagine Age of Ultron will be the more mind-blowing fresh experience. I have a feeling Whedon's going to deliver something really unexpected and compelling (potentially with the Hulk), and this is coming from someone who doesn't like the first movie very much. I'm excited to see Falcon and War Machine meet the team as well.

Last edited:
They're both going to be exciting, but I'm looking forward to the Avengers more. The MCU is more interesting, and I think Whedon is just a better film maker. As Feedonatreefrog said, I think it'll be a fresher, more unexpected experience.
That's not to say anything bad about Apocalypse, as that end scene in DOFP definitely got me excited. I don't know much about him as a villain but I love the idea of a mutant born in ancient Egypt worshipped as a god. That's an intriguing concept.

Bryan Singer Is on top of game with DOFP meanwhile as fan of Joss Whedon's TV Shows(Buffy,Angel,Firefly,Dollhouse) I consider his recent work on Avengers and AOS-I mean pilot since he likely hasn't had any involvement since-to be among his weaker work that I expect from him

With X-Men i don't like that essentilly most of X-Men films have been erased.I don't care about Last stand and origins but i do about X-men and my favorate X-Men film X2.I also dread the possabilty by end of APocalypse they will turn Mystique into good guy to suit Jennifer Lawrence making X-Men and X2 even more ilrelvent.

With Avengers just as those who tire of Hugh jackman as Wolverine In X-Men films I tire of Robert Downey JR's smart alecy Tony Stark.I liked it better if Captain America was clear lead character but that clearly Isn't happening.Plus I am afaird despite what they claim Scarlett Johansson's pregnency Is going to reduce her role as Black Widow

Age of Ultron by far, simply because James Spader is going to steal the show. I think Ultron will be one of the great bad guys in CB films.

We know more about one more than another. Also one comes out next year as opposed to two years. :huh:

X-Men: Apocalypse.

X-Men Days of Future Past concluded the OT cast and set things up for a new stage of X-Men movies which this will usher in.

Only thing equal in excitement Deadpool.

Plus it's Apocalypse Man, one of the best Marvel villains.

Last edited:
Lets see if Apocalypse grows up & becomes a cloud. A blue cloud

Avengers AOU.

But I'm really interested in Apocalypse and the choices they make with that film regarding characters and cast.

I'm actually anticipating X-Men: Apocalypse, where as I have no hype what so ever for Avengers: Age of Ultron. So X:A for me.

Age of Ultron by far, simply because James Spader is going to steal the show. I think Ultron will be one of the great bad guys in CB films.

Got to agree with that, Spader can steal scenes from Shatner (one of the all-time great scene stealers), so no doubt he'll be great as Ultron.

As much as I don't like the Avengers, (sorry Marvel dudes, vastly prefer DC) I have to give credit where credit is due, and Whedon's first Avengers outing is a very, very good action film -and definitely one of the best CBM's. Despite not liking the Avengers at all, I really enjoyed the film( although in terms of Marvel films I think Guardians of the Galaxy was even better ! Now that's a fantastic film. DOFP was entertaining, but forgettable - it doesn't have the re-watch value that Avengers or Guardians has).

Whedon's got great casting, well established characters, the might of Disney behind him and his own prodigious talents - really I'd be utterly amazed if he screwed it up, I just can't see it (although I've been wrong before, especially about George Lucas in similar circumstances). But barring a total brain failure by Whedon Aof U is going to break all kinds of box office records, and unlike the transformers films, be utterly worthy of that success. That's saying a lot for me, as I've never really liked the Avengers (in comics or in their individual films, except the first Iron Man, which is probably the best Marvel origin movie ever, Thor's fun too, Cap, yawn !)

By contrast, I used to love the X-men, my favourite Marvel book for a long time.
But, as someone else pointed out, Singer's big action sequences just aren't as satisfying as they should be - for some reason when the X-men were getting killed in DOFP I didn't really care (and I loved the original DOFP X-comics),

It doesn't matter that I know they're going to win in the end - in LOTR when Gandalf apparently dies in the first film, audiences were stunned (people actually cried, when I saw it in the cinema) even though most knew he was going to be resurrected in the next film.

Yet, when McKellen and co get slaughtered by the Sentinels, it just doesn't have the same impact - which is weird, as they get killed
pretty gruesomely.

Anyway, I've never trusted Singer after he ruined Superman - so on that alone I've got far more faith in Whedon to follow up Avengers with something pretty amazing.

Do we know who's cast as Apocalypse yet ? That would make a big difference, I think, to how well XM:A works out.

Just my opinion though.

X-Men: Apocalypse definitely.

Wouldn't the same apply to Apocalypse himself?

I don't think so.

I think Apocalypse might be the next Magneto or Stryker of the X-Men movies. I also think we are gonna see him more of him than Sebastian Shaw and Silver Samurai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"