• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby Catches Fire Spontaneously Four Times

Alex_Spider

Sidekick
Reaction score
Baby Catches Fire Spontaneously Four Times, Bizarre Condition Baffles Medical Staff, Video

http://beforeitsnews.com/beyond-science/2013/08/baby-catches-fire-spontaneously-four-times-bizarre-condition-baffles-medical-staff-2443090.html

[YT]zePiq1PPdks[/YT]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zePiq1PPdks

In August 2013, Rahul, a two and half months old infant from Tamil Nadu, India, has had four reported burn injuries since he was born. He is being treated at the Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital in Chennai.

Spontaneous human combustion is the phenomenon in which people without warning suddenly catch fire without any external influence and usually burn beyond recognition. These cases have puzzled scientists for centuries. Researchers suspect unusual biochemical processes as a possible explanation. This recent case in India now seems to confirm this theory.

The news channel “CNN-IBN” reports that doctors at the Kilpauk Medical College Hospital in Chennai, the capital of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu are currently striving to alleviate the suffering of an infant only three months old. Whenever the baby sweating increased, his body suddenly burst into flames. The condition has already caused serious burns. Since birth, this infant exhibited this condition several times and caught fire. The first time it happened the child was only nine days old according to CNN-IBN.

Even if doctors suspect that the fire is a result of flammable gases or liquids oozing from pores in the skin of the child, they too are a mystery. Doctors are trying to treat the child’s condition as well as the injuries caused by the spontaneous combustion. Doctors have advised the parents to keep the child away from flammable items and always pay attention to air conditions.

Spontaneous human combustion (SHC) describes reported cases of the burning of a living (or very recently deceased) human body without an apparent external source of ignition. As of 1995, there have been about 200 cited cases worldwide over a period of around 300 years.

Credit: paranormal-ch.forumactif.com

There are many hypotheses that attempt to explain human spontaneous combustion. These include several natural explanations as well as supernatural and biblical explanations.

Natural explanations include those:

Intestinal conversion of food into methane by methanogens which when released through the pores of the skin can catch fire when triggered by various sources (e.g., silk cloth generating static electricity).

Based on unknown or otherwise unobserved phenomena (e.g., that the production of abnormally concentrated gas or raised levels of blood alcohol might cause spontaneous ignition).

Relating to health and lifestyle factors (e.g. smoking, not consuming adequate levels of water, etc.) That involve an external source of ignition (e.g., the victim was drunk and dropped a cigarette)

Objections to natural explanations typically refer to the degree of burning of the body with respect to its surroundings. Indeed, one of the common markers of a case of SHC is that the body – or part of it – suffered an extraordinarily large degree of burning while the surroundings or the lower limbs remained comparatively undamaged.

Supernatural and biblical explanations of spontaneous human combustion remain popular. In the latter case, some some interpret Bible passages (such as Num 11:1[3]) to be indicative of spontaneous human combustion..

One notable case is that of Henry Thomas, a 73-year-old man, was found burned to death in the living room of his council house on the Rassau council estate in Ebbw Vale, south Wales in 1980. His entire body was incinerated, leaving only his skull and a portion of each leg below the knee. The feet and legs were still clothed in socks and trousers. Half of the chair in which he had been sitting was also destroyed. Police forensic officers decided that the incineration of Thomas was due to the wick effect. His death was ruled ‘death by burning’, as he had plainly inhaled the contents of his own combustion.

Last edited:
There's a logical, plausible explanation for this we haven't been made aware of yet. Not to bag on India but, there's a likelyhood of water being contaminated or other factors since large portions of the country are less than adequately regulated.

Even in the United States regulations are bordering on a joke if you want to frak up the land and are a big gas/oil company.

Not to make light of a dire story, but all I can think about is the baby from the Incredibles.

Good lord, poor kid. I watched a show on SHC when I was a kid and it scared the hell out of me. They had pictures of people who died in chairs and there was ant damage, just a black burn, ashes, and sometimes a leg or foot, or just a pair of empty shoes. I just can't imagine how they just sat and burned to death. Creepy stuff for sure.

Immediately what I thought of

pixar_jack-jack_attack_-_2005.jpg

jack%20jack%20on%20fire.jpg

Jack-Jack-Attack-Short-film-pixar-1024855_1024_576.jpg

You could say the kid has a fiery personality. :oldrazz:

I watched a special on Spontaneous Human Combustion. One woman was down at the beach and she got something on her clothing. Then I guess it combined with something in her system and created heat on her leg. Then after a while, her pants caught on fire.

I watched a special on Spontaneous Human Combustion. One woman was down at the beach and she got something on her clothing. Then I guess it combined with something in her system and created heat on her leg. Then after a while, her pants caught on fire.

If something like that ever happened to me I would immediately think I'm a super hero

I've always thought that spontaneous human combustion was a myth....

It is. There's nothing "spontaneous" about it and it's always the result of a reaction with something in or on the body that shouldn't be there. Obviously it's something usually flammable but people adhere that it must be some kind of supernatural effect going on when they can't easily understand the explanation.

It is. There's nothing "spontaneous" about it and it's always the result of a reaction with something in or on the body that shouldn't be there. Obviously it's something usually flammable but people adhere that it must be some kind of supernatural effect going on when they can't easily understand the explanation.

Well supernatural or not it is pretty much a reality that has happened many times through history. I wish the scientific community finds soon a solution and a definite treatment as to avoid this from happening again.

If only we could get a samurai butler to train this kid and find a way to heal him after he burns and keep him out of harm's way from the government - we might have our very first superhero.

This is sad...They need to keep the baby in a room that is AC controlled...Hard to do that in most places in India

This is sad...They need to keep the baby in a room that is AC controlled...Hard to do that in most places in India

Even if that was possible what kind of life would be living in fear that your body would be bursting into flames anytime and not being able to leave your room and go out in the sun or travel to other places.

Fox should just wait a couple decades before the new FF movie and just hire this kid as Johnny Storm. They'd save a crapton of money on CGI.

Well supernatural or not it is pretty much a reality that has happened many times through history. I wish the scientific community finds soon a solution and a definite treatment as to avoid this from happening again.
They have. It's literally like cancer. People see the words "spontaneous human combustion" and think it's the result of the same thing. It's not. There are countless kinds of cancer (and no single cure exists or will ever exist) and countless ways a human can "spontaneously" combust.

99% of the time the "spontaneous" part is because the person had two things involved: a flammable chemical or material on their body and an ignition source. Whether the ignition source is easily found isn't always the case but no one just literally gets so hot they catch on fire.

Now how do people burn up but not their surroundings? Wick effect.

I know a little about a lot... I very much like to know about as much as I can since you never know what might be useful or helpful in the future. Whenever I can I always try to research what I'm interested in or responding to that requires details or investigation.

I'm also borderline cynical when it comes to "mysteries" which is ironic because I love mystery.

well, there haven't been any reports of spontaneous human combustion in what...years?

This is one of those conditions/phenomenon that absolutely scares the piss out of me. I feel so sorry for this boy, but this is, disturbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"