Batman: Arkham City

In that case you should include Burtonverse Batsuits too.

tdkm.jpg

I'd love to see a nolanized Arkham city game for the sole purpose of fighting Hardy's bane :D

There was stuff I preferred in AA, and a month later after AC has been out and I've played it 5 times now and had time to let it really sink in, I'm thinking I might like AA a bit more overall. What I didn't like about AC was:

- Too many distractions with the side missions that had nothing to do with the main story. I liked the more linear format of AA.
- Two Face and Hugo Strange were so under used. Especially Hugo who I thought was supposed to be the main baddie, and we only saw him at the start and at the end. You couldn't escape the specter of Joker in AA. He was everywhere. Whether popping up in random levels to cause mischief or being on the Arkham monitors taunting you all through the game. Plus Hugo did sod all in his final scenes except just stand behind a glass panel talking crap. To make things worse we find out he's just a "puppet" to Ra's.
- The Ra's Al Ghul stuff felt out of place in the gritty style of Arkham City. Especially that desert level. Frankly I wish Ra's and Talia had not been in it at all.
- I enjoyed playing as Catwoman, but her levels, like the side missions didn't have any part in the main story.
- The main story itself kind of fell apart in the third act once protocol 10 started happening.

What I liked:

- Joker, Penguin and Mr. Freeze were all fantastic. Particularly the Penguin who was a really vile piece of work and his museum level was so much fun to do.
- The atmosphere of Arkham City, especially in the snow. I find myself popping in the game just to glide all over Gotham's breath taking visuals.
- The combat was much better and the new gadgets were terrific.
- Grapple boost gliding was awesomeness.
- The voice acting, apart from the guy who did Ra's, was all spot on. Especially impressed with Tara Strong who did a damn good impression of Arleen Sorkin for Harley Quinn.
- The Mad Hatter side mission was the brilliant and the best of all the side missions.
- The score for the game was great.

Overall I love Arkham City, but I think I prefer AA more. AA had a more linear format which I enjoyed better. With AC you could veer off for hours just doing side missions that have sod all to do with the main objective. The story was better in AA and felt more organic. Not one villain featured in AA felt unnecessary, whereas AC suffered from a villain over load, and several of them, like Two Face and Strange, suffered because of that.

Agree with some of what you say, but feel that Akrham City purely offers a more expansive Batman experience. In both AA and AC, Batman is stuck in one large overall environment during the course of the story, but Arkham City allows us to have an experience that is not as limited as AA and slightly closer to what it would be like to free-roam Gotham (which must be the next game..).

If you think about what it would be like to BE Batman, then it's obvious that this game is as close as it gets. Things aren't always linear for Bruce. As we know, he deals with a lot of ****. Villains are obsessed with taunting/testing him. Unexpected distractions occur frequently. Batman has to choose how and when he wants to deal with these problems.

I finished story mode and was left with only a couple of the side missions and nearly all Riddler puzzles, so that I could work on them when things calmed down. Great gaming experience for me overall.

I noticed a few references to the Burton films in this game:

*The bell tower in the church just like Batman '89
*Vicki Vale blonde hair
*Shreck's department store logo
*Monarch theatre

Add Catwoman waking up after the explosion at her apartment surrounded by cats, and the goons say to kill her again (hinting at the possible supernatural element).

Add Catwoman waking up after the explosion at her apartment surrounded by cats, and the goons say to kill her again (hinting at the possible supernatural element).

Good point. She also mentions about her 'nine lives'.

Oh, and she licks herself for a bath at times as well.

In the last Catwoman level, Two-Face says “the first to find her will be my right hand…guy.” He says this in a very similar fashion to Nicholson.

So if or when they release a AC GOTY edition what do you think it will include, what would you like to see or hope they add in it besides of course ALL the DLC?

So if or when they release a AC GOTY edition what do you think it will include, what would you like to see or hope they add in it besides of course ALL the DLC?

That's usually what GOTY's have, any and all (with an occasional very minor exception) DLC's released up to that point.

All of the Batman skins are Beyond awesome and playable in the city as well.

All of the Batman skins are Beyond awesome and playable in the city as well.

Agreed, but this skin is Nolan's The Dark Knight suit, is that from a PC mod or something?

Beat the game last night, so awesome...

Have been going around and dealing with side stuff right now.

Can't wait for what they have planned with Hush in the 3rd game (hopefully?). Also, wish I could have fought Black Mask.

Only thing I have left it seems is a quarter of Riddler challenges and Ivy. How do I get into her building?

I don't think you can get in Ivy's building as Batman. I've tried. Anyway, I beat the game completely. The challenges are awesome and the skins make it a whole lot better. One complaint about the skins though. You have to start from scratch. You have to beat the game again and go to game plus repeatedly to play as the skins in the main game. The side missions are a bit short too. I actually wanted to FIGHT Bane, not blow up stuff and talk to him.

Only thing I have left it seems is a quarter of Riddler challenges

I completed 400 of Riddler's challenges. Took me awhile and it was frustrating for some of them but it was fun in the end. Now I'm disappointed there is no more challenges for me to do. Only Catwoman's trophies which I can't get because I can't connect to Xbox live to get the DLC. :cmad:

Then I started game plus and I don't have to do the Riddler challenges anymore. I can just do all the Riddler side missions straight off the bat, defeat The Riddler and continue with the main missions. :awesome:

Just beat the game and I loved it. My only big beef was that Hugo Strange was pretty underused, as a previous poster said, and I was irked even more by the fact that not only does he turn out to be just a pawn of Ra's but he dies not long after you get to him at the end and it just felt like if I wasn't familiar with the character before he wouldn't have made much of an impression on me. I had another minor beef: I didn't care for how Robin was done, his characterization made him feel more like an older Damian (and looked like one might look) than Tim Drake. Just a minor gripe though.

I'm wondering what the sequel will hold, they really don't have much choice but to go in a completely different direction because I'm not sure how they can go back to the well with the Arkham concept again. After what a ***** up Arkham City turned out to be there's no logical reason anyone would support an Arkham planet or some sort of Arkham Asylum space station and having it set back at the asylum would just feel like the first game. I'm sure they can come up with a compelling storyline but I'm really curious to see what they do without The Joker, sure he technically wasn't the main villain in this one but he helped make the plot more complicated than it would have been if it was just Bats vs. Strange and Ra's Al Ghul.

I'm hoping for the third game they'll use Hush and maybe some more obscure villains (Professor Pyg perhaps?) and give us more of Penguin (I really enjoyed the game's take on him) and Two Face (he sort of go lost in the shuffle for me). I could also go for Bane or Scarecrow having a more active role again. Another thing that would step up the scope of the game is if the plot had you alternate between members of the Bat family (give more levels to Robin and Catwoman and have Batgirl and Nightwing missions as DLC) in the story.

As for skins I could really dig stuff from all of the movies, a Brave and the Bold style skin and even an Adam West skin with the eyebrows and everything.

I completed 400 of Riddler's challenges. Took me awhile and it was frustrating for some of them but it was fun in the end. Now I'm disappointed there is no more challenges for me to do. Only Catwoman's trophies which I can't get because I can't connect to Xbox live to get the DLC. :cmad:

Then I started game plus and I don't have to do the Riddler challenges anymore. I can just do all the Riddler side missions straight off the bat, defeat The Riddler and continue with the main missions. :awesome:
I'm in the same boat as you but for me i'm at 98% no DLC and everything essentially dong except for 2 ranked maps and like 20 medals on the campaign mode but i'm playing a different game for the time being cause when the HD trailer of TDKR is released i'm gonna want my batman fix. So I'll go back to work on the final 2% in a week.

With Asylum I got to 99% but the last challenge map I just couldn't do (hit poison ivy in hard mode as well before i gave up)

here it's the same thing the challenge maps you gotta be perfect in order to get the ridiculously high scores!

Oh and what's next.... honestly

I'd like 2 games from rock steady in the next 4 years

Arkham 3

and the Narrows

What is the narrows you ask it's similar to the first game but with a plot designed by Jonathan Nolan and Chris Nolan working on the look of the characters Hardy Bale and other actors brought in to do voices and that is about it. I think it would be amazing

Arkham 3 is pretty much guaranteed.... with the success of Arkham City and all the hints of a sequel.

I hope we get to explore the rest of Gotham City, and they let you play as some new characters like Batgirl or Nightwing. For the villains I want to see Black Mask, the Ventriliquist, more Mad Hatter and Calendar Man.... Crazy Quilt would be great too. :awesome:

SpidermanJLA,

You dont have to go to Game+ to play the various skins in game. You can just go to your previous game. You just wont have much to do unless you have unfinished side quests and riddles to solve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"