BATMAN:The Dark Knight Returns Costume Progress Pics

DAVIDYR1

Official Licensee
Reaction score
Over the last 3 years...at least I think it's been that long, I've been working on this in my spare time...

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. In my opinion the BEST comic book ever written. I also love the artwork and how the Dark Knight is protrayed. Big, Bad and Violent..just like me.... LOL

The headpiece and cowl still havent been molded after all this time because it's just not completely done I think. I keep tweaking it and changing small stupid things on it. :b link
The mouth area will be a working prosthetic, or at least that's the idea.
Here's the head, cowl...probably seen it posted before so just consider this a shameless plug by my part...

2006_0813wiphead10003.jpg

2006_0813wiphead10001.jpg

And this is the torso. Water clay sculpt. It weighs just over 100lbs. Sculpted on the same life cast as the Begins chest but with a crap load more clay on it. It's actually the second one I've done as the weight of the first sculpt caused the whole thing to collapse one evening. Yea...I wanted to cry. I'm usually pretty good at handling, working and keeping water clay sculpts alive over time but this one got away from me the first time.

Here's the current one.

I'm going for that older look. Someone who's obviously been in great 'bulk' shape their entire lives, but as the years have gone on that same muscle, while still present, has that kind of sag look to it. Also I'm going for a look of a body under some kind of tights. That's what those creases are meant to be but for now just really a work in progress. Typical spandex type batman costume look I suppose.

frontonflash.jpg

frombottomup.jpg

It's a big sculpt. Chest is over 55 Inches around and the stomach area is over 50 inches around. It's biiig but that's what I wanted. It's gotta work with that headpiece. And who knows, maybe even some other custom stuff if I ever find the time to get to it.

Some fun photoshop work by another member.
DKhead2.jpg

DKchest2.jpg

Enjoy!

Critiques and feedback always welcome.

David

Nice stuff, you have a good eye for detail

looking good david!! cant wait to see it finished!

really cool. The only change I would make is the eyes. They're not quite right, maybe too big, or the shape is off, but that's really nitpicking. Awesome job

When you said older but bulky i was thinking Hulk Hogan.
Great work David

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!
This whole sculpture/costume is really close to home for me as I believe it to be the best comic version ever. Of course, that's just my humble opinion. :)

Batscot good call my friend!! That was the image I used as a basis for the cowl and face sculpt. I really liked the way that model kit looked and was heavily influenced by it for my headpiece.

Good eye man!!!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"