Batman Year One Hundred

I think there's a thread on this in the DC section...but anyway, I won't be picking it up, the art is crap.

My comics got messed up so I won't be getting until next week, but I'm quite looking forward it. At first I hated the cover art, but then once I saw the interiors, I warned up to it. And the writing looks damn good as well.

I was looking for a thread on this. I'm on the fence.

i bought it today. It was good. There isnt so much a storyline yet, but something is up.

There are all these crazy government swat teams and other government officials, and this "Bat-man" freaks them out.

The whole issue is basically a wounded Batman escaping from these government police for some reason. Gordon is in there, but like the back of the book says, it's James Gordon's Grandson. Batman also has ties with the GCPD coroner and her daughter.

Dont let the art bother you. It's really good. Very "Year One"-ish in terms of look. The art is outstanding. None of that futuristic crap. Gotham is a hell-hole. My only gripe about the art is that alot of the male characters look asian.

I like the approach to the story too. It's very Year One, while being very DKR as well. Year One becuase there's some masked man dressed as a bat running around, scaring civilians who see him, and beating up law officials. DKR becuase there was a Batman in the past, and he's nothing more than myth and legend and people doubt his existance, and now, all of a sudden, there is a Batman running around.

The year the book takes place is 2039. 100 years after Detective Comics #27, which makes me figure they're using a different continuity. I dont know. I guess we'll find out in issue 4.

this is damn good.

Hmmm......I dunno, I think I'll check it out. 5.99 might be worth the price of admission.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Hmmm......I dunno, I think I'll check it out. 5.99 might be worth the price of admission.

check it out. I thought it was really good. Im waiting for the second issue becuase im still rather confused by what's going on in issue one. But from what i get, it's really cool. and the identity of this Batman isnt revealed, which is cool.

warren_sparta27 said:
how many parts are in this arc?

Four. I liked the art alot. It isn't pretty, but like Frank Miller once said,..."Beautiful doesn't necessarily mean pretty." The art is very raw, very dark, like the person drawing it reached deep into their soul and just captured anguish, and pain, and desperation in a panel of pictures. It's kinda dark, reminds me of the movie the Crow a little,...the first one with Brandon Lee,....not any of the crap that followed it,....although the TV series was okay. But, I'd recommend Batman Year 100 to anyone that just wants a gritty story with no frills or eye candy. This book is all about art from the gut and doesn't apologize for it at all.

I really liked it. I'll be honest, the art didn't impress me, but - it works for the story. It all comes together well. I rarely pass on any Batman title, and I am glad I got this one.

Definitely a very interesting book.

I've only read it halfway through so far but it's not bad. I think what I enjoy the most about it is how it moves the legend of the Batman along. Even years upon years later people still talk about "The Bat-Man of Gotham". Pretty cool.

The art takes warming up to. At first I was like, "Man, this is some really crappy artwork". But as you read through it your eyes sort of...adjust. Well, mine did at least.

I like how Pope has been keeping this version of Batman pretty quiet. We're basically learning about the character through the other characters around him in the story. I really like that. :up:

Yep, I've heard alot about. Especially around my comic shop, I'm going to check it out and see if it's worth the price.

i was waiting for a thread on this. i read igns review and being a fan of bats i really am tempted to buy the first issue even though the price is pretty expensive.

I was thinking about picking it up...it seems to be getting positive reactions. It's worth a shot.

i just read volume 1 and i must say its amazing so far,now lets do some detective work and figure out just who this batman is under the mask, is it bruce wayne or someone new, lets look at the facts, its 2039, 100 years have passed since the original batman made his first appearance. when bruce wayne became batman he was 30 years old in 1939, and his costume was quite a bit different to this batmans, for it to be bruce wayne under the mask, he would have to be 130 years old, so im going to go ahead and say no, bruce has to be long dead in this story. dick grayson would be around 105 years old, so im gonna say hes been dead for some time as well. tim drake would be about 98 years old, and im gonna go out on a limb and say that he himself is dead as well. so who could this batman be? and what ties does he have to the original batman, is he bruce waynes great grand son? or the grandson of dick or tim? just who is this batman? if anyone out there has any ideas or information, feel free to share

i dont thin it's gonna be anyone too obvious. The kick to the pants is gonna be who Batman is at the end of all this.

Well, Bruce would be more like 125, but I get the idea. Here are a few of my theories:

1) It's Bruce Wayne. He retired for several years, and then recently started using a bunch of preformance enhancing drugs to retain his vitality. Maybe even the Lazerous pits.

2) It's Dick. He left Gotham and married Barbara. After she died, he returned to Gotham and saw that it was in ****ing bad shape. So, like with theory one, he started taking a bunch of preformance enhancers to regain the vitality of his youth and hit the streets as Batman.

3) It's Tim. Like with Dick, he came back to Gotham and saw the state of it, started taking drugs, and became Batman.

4) It's Ibn al Xu'ffasch, Bruce and Talia's son. Using the Lazerous pits and various preformance enhancers, he's kept the vitality of an athlete in his prime well into old age. He took up the mantel after his father died.

5) It's Ra's Al Ghul. After some sort of major traumatic event, he gave up his goals of mass genocide and took up the mantel of the Bat in Bruce's honor.

Those are my theories. 4 and 5 are my favorites, and those along with 2 make the most sense to me. It wouldn't make sense if Bruce stoped for several years just to start taking drugs several decades later to be Batman again. Besides, it would be a rip off of DKR if they did that.

The Question said:
Well, Bruce would be more like 125, but I get the idea. Here are a few of my theories:

1) It's Bruce Wayne. He retired for several years, and then recently started using a bunch of preformance enhancing drugs to retain his vitality. Maybe even the Lazerous pits.

2) It's Dick. He left Gotham and married Barbara. After she died, he returned to Gotham and saw that it was in ****ing bad shape. So, like with theory one, he started taking a bunch of preformance enhancers to regain the vitality of his youth and hit the streets as Batman.

3) It's Tim. Like with Dick, he came back to Gotham and saw the state of it, started taking drugs, and became Batman.

4) It's Ibn al Xu'ffasch, Bruce and Talia's son. Using the Lazerous pits and various preformance enhancers, he's kept the vitality of an athlete in his prime well into old age. He took up the mantel after his father died.

5) It's Ra's Al Ghul. After some sort of major traumatic event, he gave up his goals of mass genocide and took up the mantel of the Bat in Bruce's honor.

Those are my theories. 4 and 5 are my favorites, and those along with 2 make the most sense to me. It wouldn't make sense if Bruce stoped for several years just to start taking drugs several decades later to be Batman again. Besides, it would be a rip off of DKR if they did that.

i really like the continuity idea they're using for this. It starts with Detective Comics #27 and goes, in normal time, to 2039.

i like your theories. the Ibn al Xu'ffasch is my favorite. Rather unexpected. That's how i think it's gonna end. Maybe not with any of your theories, but something really unexpected, like no one thought it would happen.

Yeah, it'll probably be quite unexpected. I'd actually like for it to be Ra's. Something happened to him that caused him to take another look at his goals and methods, possible the death of Talia.

The Question said:

You're really obssessed with performance enhancers and Lazurus Pits.

Cool theories and all but Paul Pope seems to be keeping it rather simple in this story so far. It's going to probably be something that's dangling in our faces the whole time.

Honestly, I have absolutely no guess what so ever as of now. In issue # 1 we kind of get a glimpse of his face but it can be ANYONE.

Once I see the second ish hopefully I'll have more of a picture to work with.

Because I don't think it'll be Bruce, Dick, or Tim. That'd just be way too much explanation and story to go into to explain how their still around in 2039.

SpideyInATree said:
You're really obssessed with performance enhancers and Lazurus Pits.

They would make sense. Especially with the jumping 25 feet.

SpideyInATree said:
Cool theories and all but Paul Pope seems to be keeping it rather simple in this story so far. It's going to probably be something that's dangling in our faces the whole time.

Maybe. Maybe not. I still think it would be cool if it turned out to be Ra's.

SpideyInATree said:
Because I don't think it'll be Bruce, Dick, or Tim. That'd just be way too much explanation and story to go into to explain how their still around in 2039.

........good med care plan?

I'm ticked. I went to 2 or 3 comic shops to pick this thing up and everyone's out. It's my fault for being lazy and not going earlier. One of the guys at the shop did say something about a second printing next week, so hopefully I can grab it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"