Batman Begins Batman's cowl - realistic?

I guess I remembered wrong then. I suppose I bought into too much of the anti-Burton propaganda, which claimed that Begins would right all of the previous series' wrongs, including Batman not being able to turn his head. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Just something I thought about today...

Back when Nolan was devising his initial take on Batman with "Batman Begins", he obviously didn't want to stray too far from the comic-book look of Batman.

However...

Since Nolan's Batman is a "realistic" interpretation (or at least as realistic as possible), isn't it weird Bruce Wayne would construct a mask that allows his mouth to be seen? Why not a fully enclosed mask ala Batman Beyond's design?

Why reveal your ethnicity? Batman is obviously a white guy. Why show your teeth? A criminal might encounter Batman and then notice Bruce Wayne has a similar smile or chin structure. Likewise, if Bruce ever chipped a tooth or sustained a scar to his mouth area, then Batman would have it too and the link between hero and secret identity would be obvious.

Is this nit-picking? Sure! But what do you think Nolan's Batman's reasons would be for letting his mouth/chin be seen to the world?

i think some things even the biggest producers and directors cannot change. take for instance superman........enough said.

I think you can read into it in the other direction aswell, wouldn't having a rigid cowl be safer for his neck when gliding through the air with a cape that is attached around the neck that rigid cowl would take the pressure. Thats the problem with duplicating the design from a comic, because the comic has the benefit of having still panels, so you don't have to worry about 'cowl issues'!

And I think having the face completley covered would make it more awkward to breath, especially in fights, etc remember Batman is supposed to be constantly trying to evolve his skills and equipment.

The comic also has the benefit of using made up materials that are both so durable bullets can't pierce them and so flexible that he could perform a ballet.

They should just make up those materials in the movies as well.

It is. You can draw a suit that's solid metal and make it as flexible as you wish, just look at Iron Man. In a movie, it has to be one or the other, and that's where rubber comes in. It's a compromise between something truly as durable as body armor and something as flexible as cloth.

Very true, I suppose this is one of the issues with Nolans take on trying to make a more "realistic" take on Batman!

Well for all intents and purposes, it worked well. Really well. Movie wise I am amused that Bruce went a whole year fighting criminals in Gotham city wearing that suit, not being able to turn his head. I'm sure he must have got caught with a cheap shot or two because of it lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"