Battlestar Galactica The Movie!

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

My first thoughts exactly.

Granted I loved Superman Returns and like that he's getting to play with his toys again. But this feels like an impulse reaction to the insane success of Star Trek, and Universal remembering that Bryan is a huge BSG nerd and available.

I just can't imagine what they can explore with this concept that wasn't thoroughly explored(and very well done) by Moore's TV series, unless they DO make it a direct continuation of the original TV show, which is a really horrible idea. I just hate to see Singer wasting his talent on stuff like this.

Agreed. What's even more puzzling that there are still popular SCIFI classics just waiting for a great director like Singer and whatever writer to come in an give them the heart of BSG and the action of Star Trek.

Didn't they boost Frank Miller off Buck Rogers? Get that Singer!

For me, and many in my generation, the Moore series is Battlestar Galactica. And that's someone who was a fan of the original first, and for a long time wouldn't accept the Moore series until I actually sat down and watched it. This movie will have to be pretty darned good if it expects to be accepted by the fanbase.

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/08/singer-back-to-scifi.html

Singer Back to Sci-Fi

By: Mike Fleming
Published: Thu, August 13, 2009, 1:08 PM

Universal is confirming that Bryan Singer will direct and produce a feature version of "Battlestar Galactica" for the studio, which was revealed by the website Hitfix.

The development is something of a surprise, because the most prevailing rumor had Singer flirting with the idea of returning to the X-Men series by taking the reins of "X-Men: First Class," which focuses on the younger mutant characters seen fleetingly at the Xavier Institute of Higher Learning. "Gossip Girl" creator Josh Schwartz wrote the first draft of that script.

Reps for studio and Singer denied there was any deal on "X-Men," which would be big news for the franchise, since Singer helmed the first two films.

Singer had long been intrigued with "Battlestar Galactica" and flirted with a film before he directed the original "X-Men."

The original series was turned into a successful re-launch by Ron Moore. It wasn't immediately clear whether Moore would be invited to write the screenplay, but the studio indicates that the flm will be "a complete reimagination."

Glen Larson is aboard to produce with Singer.

Singer's repped by WME and attorney Dave Feldman.

The only way I will be okay with this if it continues the new series or continues the old one, and makes Galactica 1980 non-canon.
I do not want to see a remake, the 2004 series is the pinnacle of what I could imagine as a reboot, and for Singer to take it away is heartbreaking.

The only way I will be okay with this if it continues the new series or continues the old one, and makes Galactica 1980 non-canon.
I do not want to see a remake, the 2004 series is the pinnacle of what I could imagine as a reboot, and for Singer to take it away is heartbreaking.[/quote]

If Singer could do for a Battlestar Galactica movie like JJ Abrams did for the Star Trek (2009) movie then I'm all for it. I don't mean any harm but I'm really not a big fan of the 2004-2009 series. I'm more of a fan of the 70's series because the stories were easy to follow and it actually was a sci-fi adventure. The 2004-2009 series was too much of a soap opera. There were only a couple of episodes (Razor was one) of that series that was exciting but other than that the series to me was just plain boring. They had the right idea of making the series dark, gritty, and almost realistic, but I felt they took the 2004 series a little too serious. For a show thats called Battlestar Galactica, there needs to be a nice even balance of story and action. If Singer can acheive that with a movie (which I think he can after making X2) then I think he should helm it (especially since I think he learned from his mistakes with Superman Returns). I'm ready for another (action-packed) reimagining of this franchise; I don't want to see "90210 in space" so to speak.

I honestly can't wait to see Singer's answer questions about "reimagining" the series so soon after the TV series. Singer answering questions like those is like watching a fascinating car crash.

At least let him explain what his plans are with the property before jumping to conclusions. You might be surprised with what he says:o

I've never been a fan of the shows myself so it's not really a big deal what he chooses to continue or reimagine. Though as a fanboy Singer will understand that he can't ignore what was done in both BSG series.
Anything Bryan Singeer directs interests me, so i will be on board if this happens.

Me too.

Last edited:
If that happens that will automatically prevent me from watching the film.

I do not want to see a remake, the 2004 series is the pinnacle of what I could imagine as a reboot, and for Singer to take it away is heartbreaking.[/quote]

If Singer could do for a Battlestar Galactica movie like JJ Abrams did for the Star Trek (2009) movie then I'm all for it. I don't mean any harm but I'm really not a big fan of the 2004-2009 series. I'm more of a fan of the 70's series because the stories were easy to follow and it actually was a sci-fi adventure. The 2004-2009 series was too much of a soap opera. There were only a couple of episodes (Razor was one) of that series that was exciting but other than that the series to me was just plain boring. They had the right idea of making the series dark, gritty, and almost realistic, but I felt they took the 2004 series a little too serious. For a show thats called Battlestar Galactica, there needs to be a nice even balance of story and action. If Singer can acheive that with a movie (which I think he can after making X2) then I think he should helm it (especially since I think he learned from his mistakes with Superman Returns). I'm ready for another (action-packed) reimagining of this franchise; I don't want to see "90210 in space" so to speak.

It's not like Star Trek. Enterprise was not highly regarded and didn't change Sci Fi television like the new BSG did. I don't hate Singer, I actually like the all of the movies he's directed, even Superman Returns. I don't think he will make a bad movie, I actually have faith in him with this, but this movie is just needed, not right now at least. Give it a few years after the last show ended and I think it will work, but not now. I really hope all of this falls apart and the studio realizes people don't want to see this right now.

This is probably just universal trying to get their own "Star Trek" franchise going.
But Bryan Singer is awesome so I will probably watch it anyways. It would've been cool if Serenity/Firefly could have had similar success as Star Trek...I thought it was a pretty fun film, especially since it had a budget of only 40 million.

Somewhere Ron Moore and his talented cast are planning to kill everyone at Universal.

This is probably just universal trying to get their own "Star Trek" franchise going.
But Bryan Singer is awesome so I will probably watch it anyways. Serenity/Firefly could have had similar success as Star Trek...I thought it was a pretty fun film, especially since it had a budget of only 40 million.It would've been cool if

It is a shame, Serenity was amazing and sequels would have only gotten better IMO.

I hope you say that after this becomes another Superman Returns.

Well, seeing as I thought Superman Returns was superb I wouldnt mind that at all.

So this is still happening, huh? :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"