Ben Affleck or Christian Bale?

Batman:

1) Keaton and Affleck (tie)
2) Bale

Bruce Wayne:

1) Affleck
2) Bale and Keaton (tie)

So, I voted for Bale and I broke it down into three categories, similar to how I did Affleck vs. Keaton (in that one, I ended up voting for neither because they essentially tied).

Characterization: Bale - This one really was the deciding factor (as you will see in how I voted the other two). Fact is, at least Bale's Batman is a legitimate crimefighter with complex emotions. Affleck's Batman only fights crime if it will help him on his path to killing Superman which is seemingly the only thing he cares about. (In the film, we learn that Batman only captured that sex trafficker because he thought it'd get him info on the 'White Portuguese').

Affleck's Batman has his moments, and Bale's suffers some poor writing decisions of his own in the third film, but no film has ever had the perfect encapsulation as to what it means to be 'Batman' like the 'Dark Knight' did.

Look: Tie - I know everyone was in love with the Affleck Batsuit, and I like it, too, actually, but the TDK/TDKR Batsuit is my second favorite in Batfilm history. I LOVE how practical it looks while still being able to display the classic Bat-silhouette.

This category is a tie, however, because Affleck really built up an impressive physique for this film and was able to carry himself like a really powerful fighter. I think the Batsuit actually overdid it in making him look a little too bulky compared to how his physique actually was, though I understand they did it to try and copy the 'Dark Knight Returns' aesthetic.

Acting: Tie - Both actors are great and did well. I'd actually lean slightly more towards Bale, since he had to show a much wider range than Affleck (and I loved his obnoxious cover version of Bruce Wayne), but he lost points for the Bat-voice that got worse as the films went on. (Affleck kind of cheated here by having an electronic voice changer, so he didn't even have to worry about it).

Affleck's Batman is essentially on the trail of a supervillain the whole movie, but mostly just lets him do whatever, doesn't question his motives or intentions, because the only thing he cares about is getting Kryptonite to fight Superman.

Not very Batman to me.

Agreed with all this.

Batfleck didn’t really seem that interesting to me, I was initially excited for his involvement, but seeing the movie not long ago, he didn’t feel like Batman to me. Bale for the win.

I'm still open to giving Affleck a chance and maybe after viewing a solo movie I'd maybe change my mind. As it is from what I've seen, Bale is still the man.

Affleck had zero chrisma as Bruce Wayne lol. His acting was decent but there was no Bruce Wayne mojo there. Bale did Bruce pretty well imo.

The warehouse scene was pretty awesome but I dont think it tops Bale's batman fights. It may be better than some scenes sure but not the best. The ba tmobile is by far better in Nolan's interpretation especially when the batcycle came out of it with spinning wheels. I wasn't a fan of batman v superman vehicles at all. I could hardly make out anything. The only thing I enjoyed was probably the warehouse scene which wasn't very long.

All in all affleck's batman (not his Bruce Wayne) was good which is what we wanted considering his history, but it wasn't better than Bale's version. I'm hoping we can get a better version in justice league but I'm not counting on it.

Christian Bale by far. Did not like Ben Affleck as Batman at all.

It's just a sheep response.

It's unfair to judge Ben's portrayal this early. It requires more movies to fully assess what kind of a Batman he truly is.
But say this; what sort of a man is he compared to Bale's? I could go over so much, but the deciding factor me:

Affleck is vengeful, similar to Keaton. But Affleck's vengeful side is masked by paranoia. Obviously with the Joker taking Robin's life, it's brought out the darker element in his personality. Until a film comes along that explores his backstory and may it hopefully provide us with a Batman who was more dedicated to life and less about the vengeance than in BvS, I can't say anything else fairly enough.
Bale... He desired vengeance before becoming Batman. But as he went on, he realised the implications of what such a thing can do to a person, and had come to understand and stand firmly on the difference between the dark path of vengeance and the light path of justice. Ra's was a dark reflection of Bruce - somebody who had never gotten over his past pain and his vengeful side covered his sense of what justice means.
Affleck was pretty similar to that in BvS, though less extreme and monstrous. But all the same, Affleck was close to that line with the intention of klling Superman to save lives. One life or millions, the act of taking it doesn't do justice any favours. Ra's was consumed by the effects of evil that society often has on offer and his vengeful side moved him into the territories of eradicating a city from the inside out. Different reasons, methods and intentions, but the similarities lie in the fact that Affleck's Batman and Nesson's Ra's were motivated by vengeance, convinced it was in the name of justice.

Bale didn't fall into that pit of darkness, and that's completely and utterly evident in when facing the Joker... The woman he loved, a chance at a normal life stripped completely away from him, and when facing the man responsible, he didn't react on any vengeful feelings, because he had none. Taking the Joker down and locking him away, that was the intention, a lesson he had learned from Rachel. And I respect that more.

Bale to me, despite a few minor issues I have, was a brilliant Batman. Nolan did not fail in making a Batman those in the movie and those in the audience could be inspired by. Bale was far more noble and didn't give into his darkness.

Affleck did and it turned him into a Punisher-like character... The branding, I still can't get over that.

I'm not into the whole "a Batman who quits isn't Batman" argument. I still prefer, as of now, the man we saw in TDKT.

So, all in all, Bale's Bats is the superior character. Especially since I'm seeing comparisons between Affleck and Ra's.

Last edited:
Better Bruce Wayne: Tied

Better Batman: Bale. He was actually acting and not having the suit do all the work. Affleck looks better in the suit and has the better suit to boot but Bale (especially Begins Bale) wins by a mile.

Besides I like my Batman to be intimidating and not look like a lost puppy dog all the time.

The only thing Affleck brought to the role was better aesthetics. Bale felt more layered and complete. Though that has more to do with the script. At the end of the day, Ben didn't do anything better than what Bale did in Begins. He just looks better in the suit. That's it.

I dug how Affleck looked tired during parts of the film. The other guys didn't really touch upon that aspect, or to my liking. With Fleck, I believed he was a guy who stayed up late frequently and also was partly dead inside. And no, it's not 'bad acting' or 'phoning it in'.

Keaton had moments of that. When he's resting up against the wall, looking at the map of Gotham and rubs his eyes when he turns to Alfred.

Last edited:
They did that with Bale in TDK. He's sleeping at a Wayne Enterprises board meeting. Lucius asks him if he had a late night. They touched on that with all three actors, that Bruce is tired from staying up late as Batman.

The reason why Affleck looks more tired than the others is because he's older and been around longer as Batman.

It's a good Wayne performance, lazy Batman performance.

I took that more as Bruce being the uninterested playboy, putting on an act.

Yeah, I thought it was an act too, cause he looked pretty awake right afterwords, when he asked Lucius about making his suit.

Bale's Bruce was made to look like an arrogant idiot in public. That was part of his disguise/persona.

Fox says to him in private afterward "Another long night", which seemed like a clear indicator that him falling asleep wasn't an act.

Fox says to him in private afterward "Another long night", which seemed like a clear indicator that him falling asleep wasn't an act.

I'm sure he needed the sleep, but it served the duel purpose of reinforcing his playboy persona.

Yeah, I thought it was an act too, cause he looked pretty awake right afterwords, when he asked Lucius about making his suit.

Bale's Bruce was made to look like an arrogant idiot in public. That was part of his disguise/persona.
Agreed.

I'm sure he needed the sleep, but it served the duel purpose of reinforcing his playboy persona.

Yeah, but unintentionally. If it had been an act I don't think Fox would have made the long night comment. That implies why he was sleeping.

I mostly agree with this.
So, I voted for Bale and I broke it down into three categories, similar to how I did Affleck vs. Keaton (in that one, I ended up voting for neither because they essentially tied).

Characterization: Bale - This one really was the deciding factor (as you will see in how I voted the other two). Fact is, at least Bale's Batman is a legitimate crimefighter with complex emotions. Affleck's Batman only fights crime if it will help him on his path to killing Superman which is seemingly the only thing he cares about. (In the film, we learn that Batman only captured that sex trafficker because he thought it'd get him info on the 'White Portuguese').

Affleck's Batman has his moments, and Bale's suffers some poor writing decisions of his own in the third film, but no film has ever had the perfect encapsulation as to what it means to be 'Batman' like the 'Dark Knight' did.

Look: Tie - I know everyone was in love with the Affleck Batsuit, and I like it, too, actually, but the TDK/TDKR Batsuit is my second favorite in Batfilm history. I LOVE how practical it looks while still being able to display the classic Bat-silhouette. (I disagree with this. Affleck looks better in the suit.)

This category is a tie, however, because Affleck really built up an impressive physique for this film and was able to carry himself like a really powerful fighter. I think the Batsuit actually overdid it in making him look a little too bulky compared to how his physique actually was, though I understand they did it to try and copy the 'Dark Knight Returns' aesthetic.

Acting: Tie - Both actors are great and did well. I'd actually lean slightly more towards Bale, since he had to show a much wider range than Affleck (and I loved his obnoxious cover version of Bruce Wayne), but he lost points for the Bat-voice that got worse as the films went on. (Affleck kind of cheated here by having an electronic voice changer, so he didn't even have to worry about it).

Don't forget this part from the same article: Affleck's Batman is essentially on the trail of a supervillain the whole movie, but mostly just lets him do whatever, doesn't question his motives or intentions, because the only thing he cares about is getting Kryptonite to fight Superman.

Not very Batman to me.

As for acting, I think Affleck performed Batman much better in general, but Bale was a MUCH better BRUCE WAYNE.

Bale's Bruce Wayne felt to me more like a sauve dolt, whereas Affleck's Bruce Wayne was more..Ben Affleck in a midwestern drawl.

Bale does a much better job of being ANGRY than Affleck.
jKmR0x3.png

But Batfleck has more of a CREEPY, hulking, persona.
dtOMKny.png

I think the problem with Nolan's direction is that Batman's inherent creepiness was compromised for his sense of sympathy from the audience (less so in Begins than the sequels).

Whereas Burton and Snyder build up the creepiness, but also have him kill a bunch of people in the process.

tNhaWpG.gif

^ We may never see anything resembling the Timmverse in live action, but we can hope.

The sinister creepiness is offset by a basically good guy trapped in a world that's almost one step ahead of him.

Conroy's Batman is shadowy Batman, moral Batman, smart Batman, and awkward Batman. In short, Batman ;)

I think Affleck does a great job at being both sinister and awkward, but his Batman is fairly bullheaded and fond of guns (particularly in the nightmare sequence).

I think where Bale succeeds is that he comes across as a believable human being, not an indistructable hulk. But Nolan's vision for realism hurt the fight scenes.

Contrarywise, the fight scenes are almost all Snyder has going for his vision for the character.

It's as if you can choose between aesthetics and characterization, but you can't have both.

Maybe it will happen when Affleck directs himself ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"