The Walking Dead Best American Accent?

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
To date, at least that I can recall, we've gotten four American characters played by Brits.

Who did the accent best?

Me, I'd choose Cohan or Lennie James. I often find Lincoln's accent overexaggerated, and with Morrisey, it almost seems like he's barely disguising his own accent. I guess the same might hold true for Cohan, but when I hear Morgan speak, in the few instances he's actually appeared on the show, I honestly forget he's faking it.

Lennie James, easily.
Andrew Lincoln and Morrissey are pretty good every now and then. I might be the odd one out but as much as I love dat Lauren Cohan...she's pretty spotty with her southern accent. She puts it on too thick at times.

I think Morrissey is the best, but generally I have no complaints about Lincoln either.

Cohan is from New Jersey and moved to the UK as a teenager and is doing a Southern accent so I'm not sure if that makes it more of less difficult.

Maybe Morrissey for me, because I was shocked as hell when I first saw an interview with him and he started speaking in his native Liverpool accent.

I don't have a problem with any of them, though I think Lincoln lays it on a little thick.

All I have to hear is Rick yelling Carl's name for me to find that he goes over the top with it.

"COHRAAAAHL!!!!"

I think Rick is the first American character Andrew Lincoln has played which might be why he lays the accent on a little thick because he isn't as experienced with an American Accent as David Morrissey and Lennie James who have both done American tv and film work before

Andrew Lincoln's voice/accent for Rick has changed quite a bit since Season 1 but his accent is great. Being a Brit too, it's cool because the accent and his portrayal of Rick make it pretty easy to just see and accept Lincoln in character as soon as The Walking Dead starts.
When I saw an interview with Lennie James in however, I was blown away to find out that he was British too; he puts on a very convincing American accent.

When the show started, I didn't know that any of these actors were British until I looked them up/saw them interviews. David Morrisey's accent/voice for The Governor isn't too different to his own but I've never heard a Liverpudlian accent come across when he's in character.

I don't have a problem with any of them, though I think Lincoln lays it on a little thick.

All four of them do an outstanding job, although Rick hits a word periodically that comes off as forced in the accent. One of those that I've noticed is when he's saying the word "me" in anger.

He kept telling Morgan, "You know maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" during their fight scene in clear. Likewise, when Daryl was pulling Rick off of Tyreese, he screamed, "Leggo-ah-maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!". These don't really detract from the show, but they are humorous upon repeat viewings.

All I have to hear is Rick yelling Carl's name for me to find that he goes over the top with it.

"COHRAAAAHL!!!!"

I love that, though. It's like my comfort sound on the show. Plus, it's fun to do in real life.

I think they're all pretty damned good. Honestly, if I didn't know they were Brits beforehand, I never would have guessed just from watching the show.

I had to put my vote in for David Morrissey, his definitely sounded the most natural, in my opinion.

Andrew Lincoln is a close second, I think he does a really believable accent for just about every scene.

Lennie James & Lauren Cohan are both pretty good too. Lauren's is probably the one that slips the most, but I honestly wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't found out about her real accent first.

I had to go with Lennie James . Although Andrew Lincoin and Laura Cohen all sound very southern too. As a matter of fact I was shocked (like most people) when I learned they were Brits.

I went with James because he pulls off the aggressive, responcible yet causious American black male with ease and never in a million years would I have guessed he was a Brit. Again though, they all do a magnificant job with their work. Tough poll!

Morrisey to me definitely sounds... different. But, if I didn't know he wasn't English, I would just assume that he was someone who migrated to America at a young age and kept some semblance of an accent. You can hear an accent... of some kind.

Lincoln and Cohen I actually couldn't tell. I just thought they were Yankees doing an exaggerated Southern accent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"