Best and Wost MTV Video Music Awards Ever

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
Since the VMAs went down last Sunday, I wanted to bring this subject up, while the subject is still fresh and relevant (until next year of course). Personally, the last really good Video Music Award show was in 1999. I guess it was because the combination of a genuinely entertaining host (Chris Rock), the right amount of surprises (e.g. Paul McCartney coming out with Madonna, Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls' mothers coming out on stage, Diana Ross foddling Lil Kim's boob, etc.) and great performances (e.g. Kid Rock, Run-DMC and Aerosmith, Eminem, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, Fatboy Slim, etc.).

The VMAs from that point foward, have become really hit or miss. It's either, a ill fitting host (e.g. Shawn & Marlon Wayans, Jamie Foxx, and Russell Brand), too many changes to the formula (e.g. those years where the video quality was processed to look more "cinematic", moving it out of New York into seemingly smaller venues, cutting down the running time, etc.), lack of true star quality/power (Panic at the Disco won Video of the Year for instance), etc. Of course, because it's apparent that MTV has put less and less emphasis on actually airing videos, the VMAs have slowly but surely, been losing more and more relevance.

I also think that the show itself, has become somewhat boring and routine. Maybe it's just me, but the VMAs haven't really produced a whole of of standout moments in one total package (there's always something that rings incredibly askew and decidingly negative or fake from the jump). For example, what else do you remember about the 2003 show other than Britney Spears and Madonna kissing? What do you remember about the 2007 show other than Britney Spears' sluggish opening number? And this year's show, is sadly, going to be more remember for Kanye West making a fool out of himself rather than stuff like the Michael Jackson tribute or Pink, Lady GaGa, Jay-Z & Alicia Keys or Taylor Swift's performances. Also, MTV should not need to resort to airing the trailer to New Moon in order to get the teenyboppers (in MTV's target demographic) interested.

the last really good Video Music Award show was in 1999.

1999 was awesome. Mostly cause of Chris Rock. But their has been some gems since then. 2000. You had Britney Spears stripping while singing a cover of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. I mean, come on, we were both 18 at the time. That had to turn you on! 2001. Britney Spears, again, singing Slave 4 U with a snake around her neck. :o 2002. Eminem vs. Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. 2002 was the last good one till 2009.

Personally I liked 1997's VMAs. That's when Chris Rock first hosted and that infamous Marilyn Manson performance.

What was interesting about Chris Rock hosting that night, not only was he funny but he was right about how most of the people there that night wouldn't be coming back again. And that was 2 years before Britney Spears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"